Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attempted to Purged Wine on Mint and now....

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:45 AM

...everything is gone.

Oh my.   :mellow:

Not sure what to include but it's an older HP Desktop - I don't think the hardware is a concern but will post it if you need it.

Been running Linux Mint exclusively for the past several months with no real issues until I installed WINE to play the 1 Windows game that I left behind when I went to Linux.

Once I discovered that WINE was changing a bunch of default actions, I found *what I thought* was a way to completely remove it from here via here.

Well, that didn't really work out too well.

I was only able to run the first line:  "sudo apt-get remove wine" and when I tried to run the next line, I received a message that read, "you don't have permissions for that" so I said, "feh" and skipped ahead to the "sudo apt-get remove -purge wine" line & nothing appeared to happen...until I closed my browser and then noticed my desktop was missing.

Checked my files and *poof* everything is gone.      Photos, Music, Videos, Downloads, Documents. 

At this point, I said a curse word out loud!   :ranting:   Well, I may have said a few of them.

I checked the Trash but they weren't there. I also knew/know enough not to turn off my machine....but don't know if they (all my stuff) is anywhere that can be restored.

Thanks to my time here in the Fourms, I've got about 98 percent of all that backed up in a couple of places so I'm frustrated but not going crazy.

The funniest part of all this, is that the freaking WINE app is still showing in my Menu.    :angry:

Hints, Tips, Saving Moves?

Any & all feedback appreciated.

Running Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit   Version 3.0.7  Linux Kernel:  4.4.0-21-generic

On a HP Desktop with an old AMD A6-3650 APU

your pal,

Winterland (a wee bit reckless with that Terminal)

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:34 AM

For future use when removing software.

I have found these terminal commands were all that was needed to completely remove any user installed software.

sudo apt remove whatever or sudo apt-get remove whatever

then

sudo apt purge whatever or sudo apt-get purge whatever

then

sudo apt autoremove or sudo apt-get autoremove

Using terminal commands unknowingly or haphazardly can sometimes result in losing software and files / folders etc that were never intended to be removed.

I speak from my own experience.

Edited by The-Toolman, 09 March 2017 - 09:36 AM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

Hi, winterland.

Whooops! That is not good news....

WINE is very much a personal choice. Some love it.....many hate it. I've never, ever had any problems with it. 

Certainly, the way it installs/uninstalls in Puppy is uber-simple. You install it, it's there. You uninstall it, and delete the hidden /.wine folder, it's gone. Totally. Nowt left hanging around. (Of course, as we all know, Pup's 'peculiar' in the way it works at the best of times!) But I've never heard of WINE taking all your personal stuff along for the ride, I must admit.

I'm 'odd' by the standards of many Linux users, I'm the first to admit. I don't do 90% of stuff the 'accepted' way. Much of that is due to having to been a natural 'tinkerer' for so many years. I point-blank refuse to use the terminal for anything if there's a 'manual' way I can do something. It's not that I don't trust the terminal (well, maybe that's partly it.....but you just don't know what it's doing, especially if you're not certain about your commands.....)

Yes, I'm well aware I'm missing out on many of the more powerful abilities of the whole Linux set-up.....but I've been so used to being in complete control of my machines for quite some time now.....and I get more of a sense of achievement from getting things working my own way..!

Are you just talking about your personal stuff in your /home folder.....or is system stuff missing as well? May as well start pin-pointing what's happened, until some of the 'buntu users join the party and can take over from me...

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:46 AM

Using terminal commands unknowingly or haphazardly can sometimes result in losing software and files / folders etc that were never intended to be removed.

I speak from my own experience.

I too can now speak from my own experience, LOL. Thanks for those commands. Might try that route next time.

Hi, winterland.

Whooops! That is not good news....

WINE is very much a personal choice. Some love it.....many hate it. I've never, ever had any problems with it. 

Certainly, the way it installs/uninstalls in Puppy is uber-simple. You install it, it's there. You uninstall it, and delete the hidden /.wine folder, it's gone. Totally. Nowt left hanging around. (Of course, as we all know, Pup's 'peculiar' in the way it works at the best of times!) But I've never heard of WINE taking all your personal stuff along for the ride, I must admit.

I'm 'odd' by the standards of many Linux users, I'm the first to admit. I don't do 90% of stuff the 'accepted' way. Much of that is due to having to been a natural 'tinkerer' for so many years. I point-blank refuse to use the terminal for anything if there's a 'manual' way I can do something. It's not that I don't trust the terminal (well, maybe that's partly it.....but you just don't know what it's doing, especially if you're not certain about your commands.....)

Yes, I'm well aware I'm missing out on many of the more powerful abilities of the whole Linux set-up.....but I've been so used to being in complete control of my machines for quite some time now.....and I get more of a sense of achievement from getting things working my own way..!

Are you just talking about your personal stuff in your /home folder.....or is system stuff missing as well? May as well start pin-pointing what's happened, until some of the 'buntu users join the party and can take over from me...

Hey Mike, thanks for checking in and stopping by.

When I go to Menu > Files and that window pops up, all I see now is /home/winterland and under My Computer it only lists: 

• Home  
  • Desktop  
  • File System 
  • Trash

The other weird activity is that Firefox (pretty much the only browser I use) also completely reset itself.

All my bookmarks are gone, my Homepage reset to the default Linux Mint page that comes built in when you first install, and the only Add-On I use(d)  uBlock Origin also was removed.

I still haven't restarted for fear that I've bricked my machine and/or any Temp Files / Folders that I might have access to would go away.

I'm already getting used to the idea that I might have to reinstall my OS (d'oh) but what the heck, that's why I jumped into the deep end of the pool when I started this trip.

And even posting here on BC is....different. Not sure how to explain it.

Winterland

#5 anorkneemerse

anorkneemerse

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

@ Winterland,

The correct command should be " sudo apt-get --purge remove wine ", and not  "sudo apt-get remove -purge wine", ...

http://askubuntu.com/questions/15551/how-to-remove-wine-completely

Edited by anorkneemerse, 09 March 2017 - 07:53 PM.

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:03 AM

That's unfortunate. apt won't remove files from your user's home directory, which is why that guide included all those rm commands. The problem with rm commands is that typing just one incorrect character has the potential to do a lot of damage, and since that guide is from 2015, it's possible that some of the files are now in different places.

What would have been safer, would be to use your file manager to visually find and delete the files; that way they would go to the recycle bin so could easily be recovered.

Assuming you didn't preface rm with sudo, you won't have deleted any system files, so should be able to reboot ok.

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

Hi again, winterland.

Y'know, if you've ever created a FireFox a/c at any time in the last few years, you now have the ability to 'sync' (and reset your bookmarks, extensions, etc) in very much the same manner as Chrome has always been able to.

Mozilla began this one a couple of years ago (I forget exactly when, since it's not my 'fave' browser). You'll need to re-install FireFox, but during the set-up you get the option to 'sign-in' to your FF a/c.....which will restore the 'state' of your browser as of the last 'sync'.

So you ought to be able to recover those, at least.....or certainly the bulk of them, at any rate.

Hope that's of some help.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 09 March 2017 - 06:27 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:42 AM

That's unfortunate. apt won't remove files from your user's home directory, which is why that guide included all those rm commands. The problem with rm commands is that typing just one incorrect character has the potential to do a lot of damage, and since that guide is from 2015, it's possible that some of the files are now in different places.

What would have been safer, would be to use your file manager to visually find and delete the files; that way they would go to the recycle bin so could easily be recovered.

Assuming you didn't preface rm with sudo, you won't have deleted any system files, so should be able to reboot ok.

Well, I've rebooted twice now & the OS seems to be functioning fine, I'm using it right now.

I was greeted with my usual logon: "Hello Winterland" and my password works, so I guess the question is, can I just go ahead and dump everything back onto the machine (Music, Photos, Docs, etc) or is there some diagnostic I should run to see what, if any damage was done, shy of deleting all my stuff?

I also wanted to note that I checked the Update Manager and there were just a couple of patches that I applied this morning and after selecting Refresh, I received the "Your System is Up To Date" message.

Thanks for checking in, by the way, I appreciate it.

Hi again, winterland.

Y'know, if you've ever created a FireFox a/c at any time in the last few years, you now have the ability to 'sync' (and reset your bookmarks, extensions, etc) in very much the same manner as Chrome has always been able to.

Mozilla began this one a couple of years ago (I forget exactly when, since it's not my 'fave' browser). You'll need to re-install FireFox, but during the set-up you get the option to 'sign-in' to your FF a/c.....which will restore the 'state' of your browser as of the last 'sync'.

So you ought to be able to recover those, at least.....or certainly the bulk of them, at any rate.

Hope that's of some help.

Yeah, that's one of those things that I've thought about doing over the years, the way others think about using backups, but alas, I have not - although I will be doing so once I get this machine back to a Minty-Fresh state.

I thought about blowing it up and installing Puppy but I'm always confounded by the "don't install, run from a USB" aspect of it. I do have a couple of donated laptops I just received, so I may be reaching out to you (& the others soon) but that's for another Topic.

Winterland

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:00 PM

I thought about blowing it up and installing Puppy but I'm always confounded by the "don't install, run from a USB" aspect of it. I do have a couple of donated laptops I just received, so I may be reaching out to you (& the others soon) but that's for another Topic.

Well, if you do decide to give Pup a try then just drop by 'Puppy Linux Corner'. You'll be more than welcome.....at any time.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 March 2017 - 01:00 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

Well, I've rebooted twice now & the OS seems to be functioning fine, I'm using it right now.

I was greeted with my usual logon: "Hello Winterland" and my password works, so I guess the question is, can I just go ahead and dump everything back onto the machine (Music, Photos, Docs, etc) or is there some diagnostic I should run to see what, if any damage was done, shy of deleting all my stuff?

I also wanted to note that I checked the Update Manager and there were just a couple of patches that I applied this morning and after selecting Refresh, I received the "Your System is Up To Date" message.

I think it should be fine. I've never tried what you did :) but as far as I'm aware, the system should replace any user configuration files that were deleted, as the global configuration files won't have been affected.

Thanks for checking in, by the way, I appreciate it.

You're welcome. That's what I'm here for. :)

Edited by Al1000, 10 March 2017 - 04:41 PM.

#11 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

Just a generic update before I move on to breaking something else.   :lol:

Got my machine back to it's usual self using my backups - lost about a month's worth of nothing important, but that's because I haven't been following my own advice & backing up monthly = lesson learned.

A number of personal tweaks have had to be reset (screen saver / default media player) but otherwise, I think I'm good.

>>  That stupid Wine app is still showing in my Menu but I think I'll leave it for now unless someone has a really safe way to get rid of it.  <<

Thanks again to everyone that stopped by, checked in and offered up some advice and/or insights, I'm learning lots and am very appreciative of your time and efforts.

Winterland

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:25 AM

Winterland...do you have Synaptic Package Manager installed? If so, then use it to find Wine...hey, that rhymes...and remove all packages of Wine listed.

I bet that will take care of the Menu listing.

In case Synaptic is not listed in your Software Center or whatever it is called in the Distro you use:

sudo apt-get install synaptic

From the Web...another way to find the leftovers:

dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall | grep wine

This will list all packages containing the string 'wine'. If any remain on your computer, delete them as well.

Edited by buddy215, 11 March 2017 - 11:30 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

If you just want to get rid of the errant Wine entry in your Menu, you could of course simply remove it manually.

It's been a while since I've used the 'buntu-based distros, but certain things are common to most all Linux distros. I think, if you look in /usr/share/applications, you'll find that's where your .desktop entries are.....which are what comprise your Menu entries. If you search through, you should find there's a WINE entry there somewhere. If you delete it, and re-boot, that ought to take care of the WINE menu entry for you.

That's not an absolute guarantee, though; you might want to confirm the efficacy of it with some of the others here. I don't think it'll mess up anything else, since you're simply removing a single menu entry, when all's said & done.

In Puppy, we get rather used to doing things manually, since Pup can't make use of Synaptic anyway, and uses the Busybox set of terminal commands.....many of which don't work the same as in the 'buntus. When all's said & done, it's often quicker to do things this way with Pup.

Your choice, of course. Just a suggestion.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 11 March 2017 - 06:45 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#14 anorkneemerse

anorkneemerse

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

@ Winterland

sudo apt-get remove --purge wine

rm -rf ~/.wine  

sudo  apt-get auto remove

The above command removed Wine from my Menu. .......

http://askubuntu.com/questions/35010/how-do-i-remove-all-programs-connected-to-wine-and-wine-with-one-command/827705

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

The comments etc at the bottom of the page linked by anorkneemerse...

....are also worth paying attention to.

eg,

I want to remove it from the menu how do I remove it then?

Right click the Menu button → Edit Menus → Find the Wine portion and either delete it or uncheck it

and....

udo apt-get remove wine
rm -rf $HOME/.wine
rm -f $HOME/.config/menus/applications-merged/wine*
rm -rf $HOME/.local/share/applications/wine
rm -f $HOME/.local/share/desktop-directories/wine*
rm -f $HOME/.local/share/icons/????_*.xpm

This would uninstall wine and remove all menus and icons.

I typed sudo apt-get remove wine* and it worked, it removed wine and all programs, but it also removed ubuntu-desktop. But now everything works thanks!

if the wine is installed without a package then following answer :

sudo apt-get remove wine
rm -rf $HOME/.wine
rm -f $HOME/.local/share/icons/????_*.xpm

does not do the great job at complete removal of wine. So to have an absolute removal do the following along with above scripts.

sudo apt-get purge wine* ; sudo dpkg --purge wine*

0 down vote

I removed wine and associates program using:

Run this in your terminal for removed all wine apps:

cd $HOME
rm -rf .wine

Run this command to delete from system menu::

rm -f $HOME/.local/share/icons/????_*.{xpm,png}
rm -f $HOME/.local/share/icons/*-x-wine-*.{xpm,png}

....All in all....it would appear that considerable consternation would be present on the subject of wine......which is precisely why I now avoid it like the plague.

Edited by Condobloke, 11 March 2017 - 08:43 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users