Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best OS you ever had

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Ram-girl

Ram-girl

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:28 AM

The title is pretty straight forward, however what is the best OS you have ever had?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 09 March 2017 - 03:38 PM.
Moved to General Chat. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

Hmm... Best OS... Well I would say Windows 7 Ultimate. I ended up getting it free-of-charge, a full license, directly from Microsoft for participating in one of their House Party giveaways, to which was a complete welcome kit to Windows 7. It was amazing. Plus, through MSDN of a free student's license, I was given two separate versions of Windows 7 Home full licenses. Needless to say, I enjoyed Windows 7 quite much! Then, getting the free upgrade to Windows 10 was awesome, so I took it, especially for my Windows 7 Ultimate computer going to Windows 10 Pro.

Overall, though, Windows 10 would be close to number 1, but Windows 7 was where I learned the greatest about Windows (and Windows Vista I learned a lot too).

Edit: I learned a ton from every OS except Windows 95. :P For Linux, I learned about many different flavors. Mac OS X was good in its own right, so about every version I tried up to Snow Leopard I think.

Edited by Mishima, 09 March 2017 - 03:57 PM.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

Linux Mint 18

neat, clean, simple, dependable, and fast

and Secure (no Anti Virus required)

Edited by Condobloke, 09 March 2017 - 03:55 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

Very interesting... Linux Mint has excellent qualities. What say comparing it to Puppy or the ever popular Debian or Ubuntu? I have much experience, so I'm curious of picking one over the other. :)

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:01 PM

I opt for simplicity, every time.

I am more interested in the os actually doing what it says it will do....rather than its looks or 'mystery' quality....I find debian a bit complex for my needs and ubuntu concentrates on 'the look' a little too much for my liking.

Simple

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:23 PM

iOS. I don't have to maintain it. Okay, that's not a "real choice" since it requires no effort or anything.

Real choice? Mac OS 10.11. Basically no maintenance so far. Compare that with Windows. Actually it's been pretty good sinc--oh right, I still haven't figured out that "computer did not shutdown properly because Windows 10 derrrr." Nevermind.

MacOS X has been the only operating system I have used that actually tries to improve itself every iteration. I don't wanna know what is going on with Windows. Tried Linux Mint, but without an actual use for it is hard to judge. With that said, still better than windows 10.

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:35 PM

I would use Unix based systems for general use but for gaming you have to have Windows 7 up.

As we know, Unix and Linux is going through the early stages of exploitation because of Windows 10 and people not liking win10.

Linux will eventually be just as exploitable as Windows when the numbers are up and money is to be made and if anyone has read the latest CIA dump, you would know Linux isnt as secure as people claim!

Routers etc are not as secure as others have claimed, this all comes down to the "Nothing is safe, everything is exploitable" and also "Just because you don't know it exists, doesn't mean it doesn't exist".

#8 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:00 PM

Anything is exploitable if a pinhole can be found somewhere. It's like taking a wedge and using it to open the hole larger. The greater the hole, the greater the impact. (Note: this is my own opinion, and does not represent advice.)

Keeping it on OS semantics though, I believe OSes have their specialties, and it's about the person using them. For mobile devices, I like Android over iOS... I like the ability to use Android's tools over iOS's tools... No problems... :) It's my thing.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:14 PM

Ubuntu is the best IMO

As for Windows 10 heres the latest effort from Redmond

Advertising in Windows has reached an exasperating new low
I don't know what triggers OneDrive advertisements in Explorer. I don't know if they appear in Windows 10 stable builds or just Insider Previews as a taste of things to come. I don't know that I even care any more.
But come on.
Nobody in Redmond thought, "Gosh, that's a little distasteful"? I mean, "Let's just turn our operating system into a billboard!" offends nobody?
Yes, you can turn the ads off—but it seems that you can only do so as collateral damage from killing off all notifications from file sync providers, so no, that's not a great option.
We asked the company for comment and were told:

The new tips notifications within the File Explorer in Windows 10 were designed to help Windows 10 customers by providing quick, easy information to enhance the experience relative to storage and cloud file management. That said, with Windows 10 customers can easily opt out of receiving these notifications if they choose

one-drive-explorer-ads-800x507.png

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/microsoft-put-gross-ads-in-windows-explorer-and-i-dont-have-the-energy-to-be-angry/?comments=1

Somebody please tell me its the first of April,  please. OneDrive advertisements in Explorer they cant be serious can they?

Edited by NickAu, 09 March 2017 - 08:18 PM.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:47 PM

I've been seeing those ads that Nick has shown as of late myself, for the last month or two. :)

Microsoft, just like Canonical, Google & other sites, are trying to 'upsell' their storage. Had folks caught the news sometime back, could had kept their full 30GB of storage (considering that had Camera Roll), otherwise 15GB, via a simple 'opt-in' link that was posted on this very site by someone. As well as on others. 

Because I have two Microsoft Accounts (both with Camera Roll), was able to keep all 60GB of storage at no cost, am 'grandfathered in' because I took the necessary action, even though this was in the last few days. Microsoft never included this link in their emails, only that 'changes to storage were coming', or Notification of Service Updates. 

Also have two GMail accounts, these are worth 15GB each (used with the Insync service for LInux Mint), as well as a Dropbox account with 2GB of storage, although I don't abuse the privilege of these services by keeping filled to the rim. My preferences are to keep data of importance on the ground, and items like photos, Motion Detection videos which are regularly deleted, software that I frequently use, drivers that may be needed in the future, for fast access on these cloud services. Anything that I'd not want anyone to never know is not on any type of 'cloud' service, rather encrypted on externals & Flash drives. 

Still, for the one who truly needs it, $6.99 for 1TB of service is a bargain, for many, it would take that long to upload that amount of data to be stored. :)

It's like I stated at first, Microsoft is simply one of many who are charging for their services. At least they give some free, Canonical, whom originally based Ubuntu on 'humanity', axed most of their free services long ago. Sadly, it was those who needed these the most who bore the pain. :(

While Canonical stated there were other options, there was noting in the press release stating that they'd assist those with the inability (know how) to sign up & transfer their data to GMail, Microsoft, Dropbox & other 3rd party providers. While at the same time, rolled out the red carpet to those willing to pay. How's that for 'humanity'?

As to my 'Best OS ever had', look no further than my avatar, the Linux Mint logo in gold, rather than the traditional green. Wanted a different look that's unique from the many who still carries the green that I did for years, have now been running it for 8 years & counting. :)

Had that question been asked of me about 5-6 years back, I'd have to say Windows 2000 Professional. Some may ask 'why W2K?'. For starters, it was more secure than XP, a lot of the software that could be installed on that OS, couldn't be on W2K, because there were inbuilt restrictions. It had fairly much the same updates & components as XP, until iE7 was released, though that had nothing to do with anything, it was Microsoft who made that decision. 

If I had to take either XP or W2K on the Web right now, of which I still have two XP OS's & a single W2K, it would be the latter, because W2K is simply more secure & wasn't held together with duct tape & spit for the last three years of it's lifespan. :P

There are many machine shops that still runs W2K to power the equipment used to rebuild diesel truck (& farm tractor) engines. Since there were no XP software bundle for the equipment, it made since to keep these going. Why replace perfectly working equipment that costs millions of dollars & making a fortune over an OS that doesn't go online? These companies will not allow any employee for any reason, to use these computers for any purpose other than to perform their job duties. BTW, that's what I ran the OS for from 2000-2006 for (online), and later until a year after EOL in 2010. Come late 2011, the browsers stopped upgrading, and that was the end, I only keep the OS because it was my first 'very own' one. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:44 AM

Windows Vista.

Windows XP and earlier lacked eye candy and hardware support compared to Vista. Windows 7 and later is when Microsoft started making irritating graphical changes. Windows Vista looked good, had the best hardware support, and the best software support. Windows Vista also had better software and hardware support than Linux releases from around the same time.

Edited by hollowface, 10 March 2017 - 01:44 AM.

#12 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:53 AM

After the last couple of OP systems MS have released I am seriously thinking of giving smoke signals a try?

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:50 AM

Windows Vista.

Windows XP and earlier lacked eye candy and hardware support compared to Vista. Windows 7 and later is when Microsoft started making irritating graphical changes. Windows Vista looked good, had the best hardware support, and the best software support. Windows Vista also had better software and hardware support than Linux releases from around the same time.

+1! :thumbup2:

Windows Vista, especially after SP2 was released, is a decent OS to run & the power management was fairly decent, considering the hardware it was running on in my instance (more on that below). It's only 'issue' then was that Windows 7 was released, or may had been ran by the masses. :)

The main issue with Vista (no SP) at time of release, wasn't with the OS, rather the OEM's were still clinging to the past, purging old backstock hardware designed for XP, rather than using the better they had at the time, or was available. Really, single core CPU's & a couple of gigs of DDR2 RAM wasn't going to cut it for such a feature filled OS, and not until very late in the life of Socket 775 (Intel MB's) was DDR3 RAM used. By then, many were already Beta testers for Windows 7, and Vista was forever doomed to be a market dominator. Though it's usershare climbed a bit once XP reached EOL, many whom had downgraded (to a 32 bit XP) reinstalled the factory OS to have support, and another notable thing that Vista did for Microsoft, was to keep Windows above the 90% mark for several years. To this day, I still feel Vista's loyal users were treated like scum of the earth, especially being denied a W10 upgrade. 

I did have a Vista Business 64 bit install on a Dell Optiplex 740 that ran great, kept it around for when someone with the OS would come along needing assistance, there were only a few instances & the last was more than 5 years ago. So when I upgraded the CPU, imaged the drive, which included a recovery partition, initially upgraded to Windows 7 Pro (only to have access to W10) and now W10 is running on the PC (first upgraded & then clean installed), will be dual booting with Linux Mint 18.1 soon. :)

Still, it's good to see someone other than myself express appreciation of Windows Vista, the employees at Microsoft worked their rears to make the OS a success. In many ways the OS was, it would be the solid foundation for the more popular Windows 7, still to this day the #1 ran OS on the planet. :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:19 AM

My favourite, because of the ease of use, and lack of problems, was xp. I suppose that makes me some sort of dinosaur.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:20 AM

My favourite, because of the ease of use, and lack of problems, was xp. I suppose that makes me some sort of dinosaur.

No, not at all, unless still running online. :thumbup2:

There's tools that XP has that's still needed by many techs (especially Hyperterminal) that there's no true replacement for, and there's games for XP that's optimized for the OS. Some of which many still runs, mainly offline, though some takes the chance of online use. I may do the same every now & then to update any software, and afterwards will reboot both the modem & router, because I don't want to chance any 'stray' bad code that both retains to reach the rest of my Windows installs. :)

It's not so much that XP is 'bad', rather there's been hundreds of patches for components that now aren't, making the OS unsafe for conducting business on. While I know that still over 10% of XP OS's are online (mainly outside of North America & EU), the numbers are steadily dropping. However, after SP3, Microsoft done a poor job (maybe intentionally) of keeping the OS properly patched. Example, while at the time, Windows 8.1, 7 & Vista would have 12-16 updates in the last year of support, XP often received half or less the number. Some of these same components which were still shared with the newer OS's was going unpatched. :(

I firmly believe this was for a purpose, to get consumers off of XP, and we were seeing all the time in bold that support for XP was coming to an end, and finally Microsoft launched the 'XP Countdown'. 

One positive thing that XP in part did do, or during it's run, was for the first time, made computers for the masses available & affordable, and enjoyed at it's peak a percentage of users that any OS may never match at over 77%, just after the Vista release. :)

So XP played a major part of getting users on the Internet & will go down in history as such. :thumbsup:

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users