Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low pitched moaning from tower, new case needed?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hillelslovak87

hillelslovak87

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:52 PM

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03639067-12&source=aw&aid=7168&jumpid=af_6mrc7uxaeb&awc=7168_1488405312_23446c3bdceeaf3f88ad4a1b25f65d8b&aoid=35252&pbid=85386&siteid=VigLink%20Inc&source=aw&aid=7168&jumpid=af_6mrc7uxaeb&awc=7168_1488923039_99ec9ed276ce12e347759081f3cff97b&source=aw&aid=7168&jumpid=af_6mrc7uxaeb&awc=7168_1489035053_4e85820d665a67aa404c6630480c03da

swapped in 2-3tb Toshiba internal hard drives, an r9 380x gpu, Asrock H170m mobo, G Skill 16gb ddr4 ram, i5 6600 cpu.

Ok, I have been having this problem for weeks. My pc, whether it is horizontal or vertically standing, whether the side casing is on or off, whether it's on wood or carpet, emits a low humming noise. It's the normal vibrating metal on rubber noise, around a b flat on the musical scale.

I thought it was caused by the new psu I had put in the rig, so I refitted the rig with my old Corsair Cx600, and the noise is the same. It's like a revving up. It vibrates low, then ramps up over like 708 seconds, maintains that level, then drops off at about 10 seconds after starting. Over and over again.

When I push fingers down with decent force onto the top of the frame, the vibration stops a good deal, but the underlying noise is still there. When I take my fingers off, it comes right back.

It's not my chassis fan, cpu fan, gpu or it's fans, and cant be the psu considering I've tried it with 2 separate ones. I've put pressure on every area of the inside of the case, hoping to see some panelling was bent or something, to no avail.

So, since this rig barely has any of it's original parts, should I just take all of my parts out of this case, buy a new case for like 30-40 bucks, and go that way? Or is there something else I can do to rid myself of this annoying ass noise?

If you think just getting a new case is the right option, could someone maybe recommend a good case for my build under 50 bucks?

Edited by hamluis, 09 March 2017 - 05:38 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

Commiserations, I've also been though this, and once you know a noise is there it becomes seriously annoying and impossible to ignore...  I've found a prime candidate for actually creating noise is the plastic fascia and things like drive blanking plates.  If you can locate the exact source, that's half the battle.  Usually the entire front fascia can be unclipped and removed.  See if that quietens things.  The source of the vibrations are any moving parts in the system - HDD's, ODD's, fans, which aren't necessarily directly next to the part that is actually making the noise, as any vibration anywhere in the case resonates through the entire system.... There are things you can do to reduce case noise.  For example you can look to isolate moving parts using rubber mounts where possible, like replacing fan screws with rubber fan pins, using fan gaskets.  You can also add acoustic foam to case walls which helps dampen resonance.  Sadly there is no one answer!

If you did want to replace the case, something like the Fractal Design Core 1500 should do the job.  I've been impressed by their cases.  Obviously the choice is wide.  Specific "quiet" cases like the Fractal Define series are available, but tend to be more expensive.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:17 AM

Sometimes it takes a little searching to find that elusive metal on metal point that vibrates and annoys.  Covers and the front panel(bezel) are the most  likely and lower notes are usually a plastic on metal.  Check for any metal screws into plastic covers that may have come loose.

#4 hillelslovak87

hillelslovak87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:06 PM

An update - I swapped the placement of the hard drives. I have 2 Toshiba 3tb drives, same model. One, which I use for tv shows and game storage, makes a high pitched whine at times, so I was thinking of simply buying a seagate one of the same size, putting the seagate in it's place, and using it in a usb to sata enclosure like an external drive. That Toshiba drive is out of it's warranty, otherwise I would rma it.

The other Toshiba 3tb is the one I have the OS on, It was in the upper expansion hdd enclosure within the case. Now, when it was in that upper slot, the rumble was real loud, and if I put pressure on it's sata or or power connector cable, the sound would intensify, and go right back down when I released my fingers. When I put it in the lower enclosure with the other 3tb drive, the humming/rumbling went down, but did not disappear entirely. It still does the same pattern, in which it sounds like it's revving up. It's damn near silent, with just a trace of hum, then it slowly ramps up over the next 10 seconds, maintains for another 10 or so, then goes back down to near silent.

Curiously, with the seagate 1.5tb drive in the expansion slot, when I press on it's power button or sata cable, the sound increases the same as if the 3tb was there! It's driving me mad!!! I had this seagate drive in the expansion slot for a good 4 months before swapping it and the OS 3tb drive (dont know why I swapped them in the first place) and there was no rumble then.

So, is it more likely that it's something in the expansion hard drive slot that is the offender, or the 3tb os hard drive in the lower enclosure? I lined the lower enclosure with electrical tape anywhere the hard drives met metal, although it does not have any tape on the outer portion, but it does not look like it's really touching any metal itself.

So, what is likely my problem?

#5 hillelslovak87

hillelslovak87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:16 AM

Another edit - I unplugged my os 3tb drive from its sata and power connectors, left it in the enclosure it was in, and booted the rig up. Still, with the drive I keep thinking the offender unplugged, it's still giving the same noise. I've taken the front cover off, and still get the noise. I cant pinpoint it, and this is maddening!!

What should I do?

#6 hillelslovak87

hillelslovak87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:39 PM

Another update, a couple days later. I;ve ran the hard drive enclosure with the two 3 tb drives outside of the pc, and it seems to drastically reduce the noise. I have unplugged the OS 3tb, whilst keeping the other two plugged in, and the humming/rumbling/vibrating is still there, but a little less as intense. If I unplug the non os drive, with the OS 3tb drive still plugged in, the noise seems to increase. All three drives plugged in? It's the most intense. I've put electrical tape on every outer portion of the hard drive casing, and it has not made a difference. I cut some carpet squares, about an inch thick, and put them under the feet of the case, extremely minor difference. I have rolled up towels and rested the pc on them, hardly any difference.

Should I just bite the bullet, drop 45-60 bucks and get a new case? I think the only original part in the pc now is the cd drive. Since the vibration does not go away completely, regardless of what I do.

If swapping cases is what is needed, would this one be a good choice?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NGCS7YA/ref=asc_df_B00NGCS7YA4880051?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=shopzilla0d-20&ascsubtag=shopzilla_rev_408-20;14891999419421516629810090302008005&linkCode=df0&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B00NGCS7YA

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

If the drive cage is attached to the case with screws, it might be possible to use thin bits of rubber tape or something where it meets the case, to isolate it a bit. 

Yes the Deepcool case looks well made, and in general people seem to be saying it's quiet.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

I would sure spend some time checking every nut and screw before dumping the case.  Seems mostly centered around the drive cage.

#9 hillelslovak87

hillelslovak87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

The hard drive that has my OS is not pulsing up the vibrations unless it is in the enclosure. The drive cage has been lined with duct tape, and I cannot see a place in which metal is touching metal. The expansion bays look like they were not screwed to the case, but looks like one piece. I've put duct and electrical tape on many of the expansion bay spots and lined the screws I have my 1.5tb drive cased in within the expansion slot. I cannot isolate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users