Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs load slowly

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mlw50

mlw50

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:18 PM

I recently bought an HP 15 Notebook.  Nothing fancy, 4Gb RAM, Pentium 2.16Ghz.

I honestly cannot remember exactly what I was doing, but something choked and the PC would no longer boot up.  I tried using a DVD rescue disk and again, it would not boot, so I was able to boot to a Windows-10 stick and I reloaded windows.

My next mistake was to copy the folders from the Windows.Old directory, into the current one.  I had freaked thinking all was lost and that this is all I had to do.  Since then, Comodo Dragon, Firefox and regular Google Chrome take 15-20 seconds to appear on the screen, and then they load slow.  Mozilla Thunderbird can take as much at 35-45 seconds to load.

We have a slow 3Mb DSL Internet connection.

I have followed the lead of some other postings and I ran mini toolbox, hijack this and others. I updated the BIOS.  I've run malwarebytes and nothing major seems to appear.

Any ideas as to what I might do, save wiping the drive and starting over?  I have a good number of applications as I do some research online.  I would hate to try and rebuild.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

Mod edit: HKT log removed; not allowed in this forum and this is not a malware problem. -Al1000

Edited by Al1000, 09 March 2017 - 09:23 AM.
remove log attachment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,467 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

From what you initially posted it is rather obvious that the problem is related to a software problem, not a malware problem.

When you reinstalled the operating system did you use the HP Recovery Manager? 

If you didn't use the Recovery Manager how did you reinstall the operating system?

What version of Windows 10 is this?  Ex: Home, Pro, etc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mlw50

mlw50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for your reply.  I did NOT use the HP Recovery Manager.  I am a little vague on the details, but it appeared that the recovery partition was empty?  Forgive me, but I am at a loss on that. 

This is Windows 10 Home

I got the PC to boot to a USB flash drive which had the version of Windows that I received when MS did their mass conversion.  I have since gone through a number of windows updates.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,467 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

What is the model of this HP computer?

If you used installation media that was not from HP you needed to go to their website to download the needed drivers and install these.  If you haven't done this it would explain why you are having problems.

Can you boot normally without using the installation media?

If you can press the windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu. 

When the menu opens select Disk Management

Please create a screen shot of the full page and post it in your topic.

How to make a screenshot and post it in your topic

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot.

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mlw50

mlw50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

Again... Thanks for your help.  This is an HP 15 Notebook

The PC boots fine.  

I have only gone to HP and updated my BIOS.   When I was having trouble booting (before using the USB stick to re-install Win10) I could not get to anything - I could not boot.  I have just found the HP Recovery program  and when I load it, I get a screen and then a bunch of small windows with "Failed to query WMI: Invalid Class"

The "Z" drive that you see is another USB that I use to store various things off the PC - some utility programs et al.

Attached File  mlw50_10_55_26 AM.jpg   86.47KB   0 downloads

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:31 AM

You're in good hands with dc3 but I have one additional question. After reinstalling the OS did you download and install all required drivers from the HP website (and ONLY from the HP website since it's a laptop)? If you're not sure, please look in device manager and let us know if there are any yellow or red symbols.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,467 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:31 AM

Go to the HP Customer Support website.  Select Recovery using HP Recovery Manager, follow the instruction there.

#8 mlw50

mlw50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

Sorry to be late getting back.  It appears you were spot on.  I went to the HP Customer Support Website and used the Recovery Manager.  It reloaded Windows-10.   I didn't lose any "data", but it uninstalled all the programs and I am in the process of reloading them. So far, everything seems to load "normally".  I am still in process, so I will leave this until tomorrow sometime after everything (or at least most) is reloaded.

In answer to BC ADVISOR, I had begun to reload the drivers, from the HP site, using the HP assistant, however I had only done a few and didn't look at the Device Manager to see if there were any error symbols.  Now that I have reloaded Win-10 from HP, it is all good.

I am very much appreciative for all your help.  I will give you a final report tomorrow.

#9 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

Hi,

That's good that the online HP Recovery Manager worked.  Normally, the HP Assistant is problematic, and often doesn't work with people's installed AV programs, therefore I recommend that people use the Download Only option instead.  This takes longer to download all of the drivers for your model notebook, or any PC for that matter, but the whole process of downloading the drivers and burning onto a DVD disc or USB stick and installing them typically takes 1-2 days; longer if you've never done it before.  Most people think it's a 10-minute deal; that's not even possible if the HP Assistant worked flawlessly which it doesn't.

It sounds like you had your Data backed up before you attempted using the HP Recovery Manager; they don't make it very clear that you must do this as the process normally wipes your drive clean and removes ALL Programs and Data. 

Glad you got your W10 reloaded, and hopefully your browsers and other apps will load at normal speeds once again.  Just thought I'd mention this in case other forum readers wandered down the same "garden-path" you did.

Best of luck, :thumbup2: 

<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:33 AM

Glad you're back in shape. The Recovery Manager also installed the required drivers, so you're good to go :)

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,467 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:21 AM

You mean I got something right?!? :blink:

:hysterical:

I'm glad this worked out for you.

#12 mlw50

mlw50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

Thanks to everyone...

Yes, the HP site worked flawlessly.  If there is any slowness now, it is due to the low end machine and the ridiculously slow Internet speeds out here in the hinterlands...

I am still in the process of reloading software.  I've been very good about saving disks or downloads and keeping all those license numbers!

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

Moving forward you might want to consider using Disk Imaging software on a regular basis. I'm a firm believer that EVERYONE should. It's the easiest and best way to insure you have a "safe haven" in the event of almost any form of major problem.

Edited by Allan, 10 March 2017 - 09:39 AM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,467 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

I agree with Allan in regard to using disk imaging software in order to have a cloned copy of what is contained on your ssd/hdd.  A programs which is currently popular here at Bleeping Computer is Macrium Reflect.  The author has a tutorial for its use, you can find it here.

#15 mlw50

mlw50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:07 PM

I use Aomei "Backupper" which I find to be very very good...  (http://www.aomeitech.com/freeware.html)

Also, I failed to mention that the Windows-10 reload put out an HTML file with a list -- Name, Publsher and Version # of all the software that was removed during the process.!  Nice!

Thanks again for all your help!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users