Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I remotely access my work computer from home?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rizzo44

Rizzo44

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

Hi all -

I'm not too brainy so please hang in there with me. I have two Windows 8 computers. One at work and one at home. They are on the same network as my father and my mother's home computers (I'm living with them now). Due to illness it is very difficult for me to get to my office and it would be much easier to work on my home computer. My big question is whether I can work at home and have it connected remotely to my work computer.

When I got my computer it was Windows 7. That was a long time ago and I had learned how to turn off all of the remote features so prying parental units couldn't see anything or get into my computers. The modem or wifi thingy or whatever you call it is in my home.

When I check services.msc and Process Explorer I see lots of things that say they are remote access and whatever but I don't know what to start and what would make my computers vulnerable to problems. I'm running the free version of Avira - boy that software takes it's time & seems to do a good job. I have it because of CNET's review. Please don't tell me to go back to the Windows virus program unless it's necessary. I already had a snippy discussion on another board about which is better. I run Malwarebytes every few days. I use CCleaner every few days. I also check Resmon for the hell of it and set a manual restore point every few days also. (I also back up to an external drive).

Any and all help is appreciated. I could start messing around but, no doubt, I'd screw up. Dawn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:32 AM

consider running Teamviewer on each which will allow you remote access to your work computer

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:57 PM

This would be best answered by your work's IT staff.  There are a great number of remote desktop solutions and the IT staff would be the ones who know what is authorized in their environment.

#4 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:38 PM

I asked someone else this question and he made the same assumption as BC Advisor (no insult intended). All of you tech folks must work in big offices with IT staffs. You probably are part of the IT staffs. Unlike you two, the other guy gave me a strongly (and quite boldly) worded warning that I'd better have permission from "the people in charge" to do this. He mentioned something about how my IT department knows how to work VPN? That sounds complicated.

I'm an attorney and I have two partners. We are "the bosses". We have a few employees. All the computers are 8.1. The other two lawyers are hoping that I learn how to do this because they want to do it also. They have big caseloads right now so I'm taking on this task.

The question now becomes: what is Teamviewer and how difficult would it be for people who are good at practicing criminal law but lame with complex computer stuff? If I download it will I get detailed instructions (if you remember)? I don't want to come back here for every step of the thing because I'd be a pain in the rear end and helpful folks like yourselves would get frustrated. I crashed a computer last year and, as a joke, I signed a contract which prevents me from ever going into the registry again. So that gives you an idea of my skill level.

All help is appreciated. Dawn

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:17 PM

Sorry Rizzo44 having worked in IT since last century the first thing to do is ask IT.  They will tell you if you can do something.  Without having the additional information that is the responsible advice you should get, ask IT.

Short term Teamviewer will work for you.  You install the Teamviewer client on both machines.  You sign up for a Teamviewer account.  Without reading their terms, I do not know if you can use the free account or if you need to purchase a license since this will be used in a business environment.  You can set up Teamviewer to allow you to access the machine without requiring someone to accept by assigning it to your account.  On your home PC you launch Teamviewer and select the Office machine from the panel on the right and connect.

Long term I would advise looking into contracting out a VPN solution so that everyone has this as an option.

PC Anywhere was another solution that I used to use back in the modem days.

I've also used Dameware.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:07 PM

I've been using Teamviewer sporadically for over a year now; every day I log in via Google Chrome; I've only actually client/host-ed once or twice [for about 15 minutes per session] during that "fiscal" year.  I think Teamviewer will let you test it out, making sure it works for you, for a limited time.  I believe a business license will definitely be called for after said limited time.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

Thank You all for your help. I do something like "ask IT" when I'm in trouble with things other than computers. It's "ask Dad".  I'll get over to Teamviewer. If it isn't too expensive we could really use it. I have this weird thing where my sleep phases sometimes work in reverse. That means I'm often wide awake while it's dark outside. My brain works best between 1am to 4am. So I get a lot of work done and my partners need to get that stuff from my computer when they get to the office. I also need the work they did the prior day. Awhile ago these were things I could attach to e-mail but now it's bigger files, trial transcripts, etc.

I appreciate your time.

Take Care. Dawn

#8 Claire22

Claire22

• Banned Spammer
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:10 AM

You can also use online drive to store your information. Online drives allow the users upload and access their work on different devices .

#9 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

I'm not sure about what you are saying. Do you mean an external drive that you take with you?

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:48 PM

Claire22 mean to store your work in the cloud (OneDrive, Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, etc.) so that you can access if from anywhere.  The obvious issue is that you're not holding your data, you're trusting someone else with your data.  No matter how secure they advertise their service to be, you have no guarantees that it is actually secure or that the company won't fold taking your data with it.  I had a backup account with Skyhub.  They sent out an e-mail, effective immediately they were closing, not even an opportunity to get your data back if you needed it.

The other issue is you would need to have any necessary programs installed on any machine you will be manipulating, and possibly just opening, the data.  While this isn't an issue with an office machine, not everyone has a Microsoft Office license for home, or any other software you may be using.

#11 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:41 PM

I love the fact that you have the same attitude I have about storing stuff out in space. You obviously know more about it than I do. All I know is the Cloud, and I hate it with my whole being (and I rarely use the word hate). I have an incredible mess with my I-Tunes songs. After I had a crash and then a successful experience with a back up from an external drive my I-Tunes was, and is, a horrendous mess. Everything else was fine. The songs are on my computer at different places. When I open the main software only THE ONES WITH CLOUDS next to them play. Everything else can't be found through the I-Tunes software even though I carefully tell them where to find the file. I can play them with other software and thankfully everything is on my I-Pod. I've been told I have to buy software to play songs on I-Tunes that I didn't buy from their store. This was the 1st I saw of clouds.

Anyway, That's a whole other story that I will tackle when I have a free weekend (or so I keep saying to myself). I have to do more research. Please don't concern yourself with the I-Tunes issue. I use it as an example to explain why I would never trust any source to save my stuff. I keep putting the research on the issue of Tunes off and I don't know enough to have an intelligent conversation about it. (I feel like my stuff is being copied & sent somewhere into space while I'm asleep). As your experience seems to show, I'm afraid I won't get the stuff back or suddenly I'll have to pay something to get it.

Teamviewer took awhile for us non-techies to get going but we are happy with it, so thank you for that.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:25 AM

"...After I had a crash and then a successful experience with a back up from an external drive my I-Tunes was, and is, a horrendous mess. Everything else was fine. The songs are on my computer at different places. When I open the main software only THE ONES WITH CLOUDS next to them play..."  -- Rizzo44

I'm very interested in learning more about your experience with what happened after the restore of a backup from an external drive.  Later, when your current situation is solved, would you mind starting a new thread about this part?  I'd like to explore how that backup was made onto that external drive, how that backup was restored from that external drive -- if you don't mind sharing.

Edited by RolandJS, 16 March 2017 - 07:09 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#13 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

RolandJS check out SyncBack Free.  It allows you to back up to an external, or network drive.  The back up is in the same format as the files from your machine.  Restoring files is as easy as copying them from the external drive to your computer.  This is a data back up, not a system back up solution.

#14 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:41 PM

I don't know how to start a new thread. I have used software called EaseUSTodo. I researched it and everywhere I went it was rated much higher than what you get with Windows. It's also free if you don't need much. After they saved my life I did get the paid version. Once a week it wakes up my computer at about 3 am (you can set the time) and does it's thing. On one night it does a file backup and the next night it does a system backup. These go to a big external drive. I agree with BCAdvisor. I never used SyncBack Free but it no doubt works as simply as my backup program. That program sounds even easier than mine. Just read how you restore before downloading the backup software. Print out the instructions in case you get into any trouble. I just needed to do a few clicks and all was restored. Since I couldn't find my music file (my fault) I went to my external drive, copied the music file and pasted it to my main computer. So now there are two music files. I messed up & now I have some issues.

The problem we discussed was the Cloud. AAARRRGGGHHH.  In my iTunes software the music I have that plays when I click on it has a Cloud next to it. I think it's everything I bought from the iTunes store. The rest won't play on iTunes software. I have all of the songs. I can play them with other software. I've lost nothing. Plus it's all on my iPod. I started to research but it's a mess. I decided to worry about it later and work on a death penalty case, which was an easier job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users