Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop makes random ticking noise

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MvH1

MvH1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

Hello!

Since a week or so my laptop has started to make a very weird ticking noise from the bottom right. It first occured when I ran a Malware scanner, but now it seems like it happens randomly. A problem that might has something to do with it is that in Task Manager the disk usage sometimes peaks to 100%. Anyway, knowing almost nothing about computers, I'm here to ask what might be wrong with my laptop..

Specs:
Windows 8.1
Intel Core i7-5500U 240GHz
8 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 5500
Nvidia Geforce 940M

Here is the recorded audio from the clicking sound: https://soundcloud.com/springtimebird/computer-sounds

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

You might want to consult with the other people here since I am not the most knowledgable guy, but I think this noise is coming from your hard drive. If it's a new laptop I am pretty sure this is something normal and what's more, on most HDDs (hard disk drives) these days you'll find a note attached that says 'clicking noise' is normal and nothing to worry about. I am not however sure how normal it is for such a good computer in terms of specs as yours to be frequently going to 100% disk usage as you've stated.
Once again I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that in the worst case scenario you'll be looking at a hard disk replacement with an SSD (solid state drive) & a fresh Windows (or Linux) OS install.
Hope this somewhat helps.
:)

P.S. Also, if your laptop oftentimes goes to 100% disk usage in Task Manager and freezes and there is nothing else wrong with it, you might want to get somebody to open it up and thoroughly clean it as it may just be a heating problem, especially if you use your laptop primarily in bed and it hasn't been cleaned in over a year if ever.

Edited by Just_One_Question, 09 March 2017 - 09:08 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installatioSeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 MvH1

MvH1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

@Just_one_question ; Thank you for answering! I was afraid it was the hard drive too.. The laptop is not too new, yet not old either. I bought it late 2015. The recorded sound was very loud irl though, not just a dull click unfortunately. I've been thinking about bringing it to someone to open it up, but before doing so this forum might give me some insight in what is wrong with my laptop. But, thanks again for taking the time to answer!

@dc3 ; Here is the link to my Speccy snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LFZotw44rs6OGOaRAw0UAQY (really hope I am not doing something very stupid right now :P)

The SeaTools scan did indeed fail, I hope I took a screenshot of the right thing.. The results of the scan are in the attachment.

Thank you for answering!

Attached Files

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:24 PM

@Just_one_question ; Thank you for answering! I was afraid it was the hard drive too.. The laptop is not too new, yet not old either. I bought it late 2015. The recorded sound was very loud irl though, not just a dull click unfortunately. I've been thinking about bringing it to someone to open it up, but before doing so this forum might give me some insight in what is wrong with my laptop. But, thanks again for taking the time to answer!

No problem, hope you manage to resolve your problem successfully! :)

Edited by hamluis, 09 March 2017 - 05:31 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:00 AM

Yep... looks like it's time to replace the hdd.  Both the SeaTools scan and the Speccy show the hdd is failing.  You have 488 failed sectors, this is very high, this plus the fact that the hdd hasn't been able to reallocate those sectors truly indicates the hdd's failure. 

Because of the high number of bad sectors I suspect that this drive will fail completely fairly soon.  The more you use it the quicker it will go.  For this reason I would suggest making it a priority to backup your important date to removable media, like an external hdd, flash drive, etc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users