Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Again... Reinstall XP on Dell 1501

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Habesque

Habesque

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:14 PM

Hi I have an old Dell Inspiron 1501 with what I believe is a seriously corrupted XP installation and I would like to get this machine up and running again as I now have a use for the both the computer and XP - to be used in conjunction with car OBD diagnostics.

How would I go about a clean reinstall on this machine?

Alternatively would Vista work on this machine ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:49 PM

Open Disk Management. Right click computer Manage > Disk Managment.  If you see a Dell restore partition you may be able to do a factory reset by holding the Crtl key while tapping F11 at boot. 

Video

If you cannot get a factory reset see this post. Use the first link for an XP iso you can burn to a CD disk with Imgburn on XP or Vista. On Windows 7 right click the iso and select Burn Disk Image.

Note: Both options will wipe all data on the disk so if you have any personal data on the HDD back it up.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 March 2017 - 06:52 PM.

#3 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

Hi , thanks for replying and have just tried the  first suggestion to discover ;

error: no such partition.

grub rescue>

#4 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

Ah yes, this computer had Linux on it as a dual boot at one stage, where I guess in deleting Linux I didn't restore the grub, so I now can't get into XP to fix the grub or do anything else for that matter.

Ah yes, this computer had Linux on it as a dual boot at one stage, where I guess in deleting Linux I didn't restore the grub, so I now can't get into XP to fix the grub or do anything else for that matter.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:51 PM

So as of now you cannot boot the computer to any OS? 

If that is the case maybe we can get the Dell Restore Partition to boot if present. Download fatdog64. Burn the iso to a CD or DVD. Boot the disk. Once on the fatdog desktop right click on an empty area of the desktop and select Setup > Fatdog Control Panel. In the Control Panel select Gparted. When it opens and shows your disk post a screenshot if possible or list what partitions are shown on the disk and their sizes.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

Fatdog64-710.iso

#6 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:53 PM

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:06 PM

See my previous post. We may be able to boot fatdog linux then mark the Dell Factory partition, if present and functional, bootable. By marking the partition as bootable it may force the factory partition to start at boot. But, we need to find out if the partition exits and that can only be done with fatdog. Is there any data you need from XP, if it still exits.

#8 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

Don't know what went on there with the multiple postings.

But anyway I have a number of Linux live disks and I am booting one up at the moment to access the Gparted (LXLE 64 bit- what I used to have on the machine to cause this problem I am experiencing now and yeah I know I didn't restore the windows boot loader) Oh it works and Gparted details are as follows;

/dev/sda1

File system : fat16

Size : 117.63 MiB

Used : 7.96 MiB

unused : 109.67 MiB

Flags : diag

/dev/sda2

File system : nfts

size : 39.00 GiB

Used ; 27.79 GiB

Unused : 11.22 GiB

Flags : boot

Unallocated

Size : 69.57 GiB

Used : -

Unused : -

Flags : -

/dev/sda3

File system ; Fat32

Size : 3.10 GiB

Used : 2.53 GiB

Unused : 586.40 MiB

Flags:-

Unallocated

File System : Unallocated

Size : 2.49 MiB

Used : -

Unused : -

Flags : -

#9 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:22 PM

See my previous post. We may be able to boot fatdog linux then mark the Dell Factory partition, if present and functional, bootable. By marking the partition as bootable it may force the factory partition to start at boot. But, we need to find out if the partition exits and that can only be done with fatdog. Is there any data you need from XP, if it still exits.

Ah I see then I will download Fatdog and burn it to disk

And as far as XP goes there is nothing in XP I want to keep, except perhaps the Dell diagnostic as that does have a use.

Edited by Habesque, 08 March 2017 - 08:22 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:22 PM

The 3GB partition may be the factory reset but I am not sure. Click on sda3. In the Menu bar select Partition > Manage Flags and give sda3 the boot flag. Make sure the boot flag for sda2 is not present. Click Apply. After making sure sda3 has the boot flag reboot and hopefully this will start the Dell factory restore.

Edit. This will wipe all present data on the drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 March 2017 - 08:23 PM.

#11 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

Okay, so now having flagged sda3 as boot and the sda2 boot flag has cleared, do I just restart and see what happens ?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

Yes, see if the computer boots to the Dell factory reset wizard.

#13 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:42 PM

Unfortunately not, it just comes up with the same

error: no such partition

grub rescue >

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:47 PM

I think at this point you will need to burn a new iso of XP per the link in my post #2. Do a clean reinstall per this guide. 

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-xp-2624911

Edit: One last try would be to give sda1 a boot flag and see if that works. That is the Dell diagnostic partition so I am not sure if that would give you the option to do a reset or not.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 March 2017 - 08:49 PM.

#15 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:57 PM

I have however when looking for my wireless key founds some disks I had forgotten about, one of them being a Dell Utilities and Drivers disk, I can't quite remember what it does, but I have it running on the 1501 at the moment and so far it appears to be doing a diagnostic as part of ' performing system setup'.

In addition I have also found I have an XP SP3 home edition disk of which came from another computer I had and also I have another Dell XP PRO re-installation disk with a computer key, would any of these suffice ?

But I have started my other computer for the Fatdog download and disk creation, as all my computers are flakey in some way, this one, an old Macbook doesn't have a functioning  optical drive - a job for another day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users