Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WYSIWYG text editor isn't - at least when a post goes live

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:49 PM

I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this, particularly in the context of multi-quoted replies.

I often use font and color to differentiate my new content in a post that requires significant quotation to retain context and use the same font and color everywhere in a given single reply so it's crystal clear what I've written.

I just did that and where my new content went within a quoted block the font and color were stripped, but the italic remained.  Where the new content was outside the quoted block the same thing happened but since I had not used italics it's impossible to know whether anything with regard to bold, italic, or underline formatting was affected.

I generally expect that when I have an editor such as is used here on BC that shows font, color, and formatting as I type I expect same to show up when the post goes live, but that's not happening consistently.

Any idea what's up?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

Sorry for the late reply britechguy.

The WYSIWYG editor built in with the forum softwares is not that sometimes. It is sometimes a WYSYMGIYL editor. To be brutally honest. Long been a thorn in my side and why I resorted to hand inputting all the BBCode. Now I'm just used to doing it that way.

It's an imperfect tool and in my opinion. But it comes with the platform. So the choices are, expect occasional errors or turn it off and input your own code. Not much of a selection unfortunately.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:35 PM

I've experienced similar issues, and now like Animal I just manually input my own BBCode. But if you prefer not to, there's a portable application called bbEditor (available for download at BC) which allows you to format your posts offline easily with a toolbar, preview them in your web browser, and simply copy/paste the pre-formated content online.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users