Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My non-primary SSD stopped working this morning

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Syracks

Syracks

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:35 PM

Hello!

So my 1TB SanDisk SSD was working fine for about 8 months (since I've owned it) and when I booted my PC up this morning it was not being read properly by my PC. I did some digging and found on my Disk Management that Disk 2 was unknown and not Initialized. When I tried to initialize the disk I get an error message. Here is what It looks like. As you can see, Disk 2 does not show up on my MiniTool Partition Wizard. So I took my computer apart cleaned it out and made sure all the wires were secure put it back together and still got the problem.

After doing some online research I came across this thread and it said I should delete all my partitions on the disk and initialize as GPT. I wasn't sure if it meant all my partitions on my PC or just Disk 2. Before I get into all that I wanted to run it by you guys.

Any help would greatly be appreciated, If you like I have an extra copy of Serious Sam 3 and Garys mod on Steam that I can give to you if you help resolve the issue.

Thanks again! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:59 PM

A disk that shows as not initialized that was operating normally usually indicates a failed drive. Did you try a different sata cable and sata port for the SSD? This is a desktop, correct?

You do not want to delete your partitions on any other disks. Also, if the disk is not initialized it is impossible to scan or delete any partitions on disk 2. Do you have an available enclosure you can put the SSD in and attach via USB?

#3 Syracks

Syracks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:13 PM

Correct, It is a desktop. I do not have an extra sata cable to test to see if its dead unfortunately, the only other sata cable thats being used is for my primary SSD that has my OS. Here is the type of hookup I use for it. 

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

"...After doing some online research I came across this thread and it said I should delete all my partitions on the disk and initialize as GPT..."

I recommend giving every hard-drive and every partition a unique name, that way, regardless of what is booted, regardless of what utility or program is being used, you know what hard-drive and/or what partition you are "aiming at".

Edited by RolandJS, 08 March 2017 - 04:40 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:23 PM

That looks like a docking station of some sort. Is there a SATA cable attached to the docking station that can be moved to a different SATA port? 

If the docking station has a SATA cable hookup I would first try a new SATA cable. If that failed I would purchase a USB enclosure and see if the drive is detected using USB. It's possible the docking station itself is bad. You don't have a spare drive you can use on the docking station?

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 March 2017 - 02:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users