Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Built Computer. Error Message On Installing Xp

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hawklet

Hawklet

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:28 PM

This the BSOD message I get:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is
identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check
with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video
adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable
BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need
to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your
computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then
select Safe Mode.

***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, OxF7809F08)

*** pci.sys - Address F784E0BF base at F7487000, DateStamp #b7d55c

System Specs: 2.13 ghz duel core
2x 1gb ram
nvidia 7900 w/ digital video cable
Intel D975XBXLKR Intel Socket 775 ATX Motherboard

I am running memtest now and it there are no errors so far (36% pass).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hawklet

Hawklet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:22 PM

Update:

1 pass
0 errors

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:39 PM

The following MS Knowledgebase article may help:

"STOP 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330182

(Personally I would not update the bios until it becomes the last possibility because an error during a bios flash can toast your motherboard - make sure bios settings are set to safe default configuration and the boot order to boot from CD first - you can change it back after completing your Windows installation)

If you have just done a fresh install of Windows (or are trying to do one), do it without any peripherals connected to the computer and minimal installed devices, IE, 1 stick of ram but a minimum of 128mb, no sound card, no video card either unless you do not have an on-board video adapter on your motherboard.

Use a basic wired mouse connected to a PS2 port (not wireless or usb)
Only the keyboard (wired and PS2 not usb), the mouse and the monitor should be connected.

Do not connect your nic card to a cable modem or router

You can install all other devices after you get Windows set up, but do them one by one. reboot and make sure each installation was successful and caused no problems.

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 September 2006 - 01:44 PM.

#4 Hawklet

Hawklet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:48 PM

Most of that article suggests that you already have an OS and are updating to windows XP. I have never had an OS so I'm not able to delete files or run in safe mode like they suggest.

Also my RAM is duel, can I still use only 1 stick as they suggest?

Oh, if it helps, I was running the windows XP install fine yesterday but had to cut it short in the very early stages.

Should I just run DBAN and try reinstalling?

Edited by Hawklet, 03 September 2006 - 02:06 PM.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:40 PM

Since this is a new install that may well be the easiest (and fastest) thing to do. Shortcutting the installation leaves files on the hard drive that may conflict as you try to continue, so starting fresh with minimal device installation while installing XP may be the best thing to do.
Do a full format as well.

These Core Duo processors are brand new. Do the instructions state that you must install separate ram sticks for each core? If so, of course do so.

I apologize for not being completely knowledgeable about building a system with one of these yet, but am looking forward to doing one soon.

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 September 2006 - 02:41 PM.

#6 Hawklet

Hawklet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:30 PM

Agh

I just ran DBAN and it was no help.

What's my next step?

Updated BIOS, no help. Same message.

Edited by Hawklet, 03 September 2006 - 05:56 PM.

#7 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:36 PM

hi, hawklet,

is your xp sp2? if not have a look here:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic16553.html

hope it helps

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:18 PM

Download support tools from support at the manufacturer of your hard drive to format the drive and set it up for XP installation. If it is a Sata drive you need the drivers to load at the appropriate time.

Make sure the boot order is set for cd first in the bios and that the bios is set for fail safe default settings.

Start the installation with the most basic configuration of the system possible - no expansion cards except video and only then if your motherboard does not have on-board video adapter.
Use a crt monitor if you have one.
Use a wired PS2 mouse and keyboard - not wireless.

If the above is not successful download the Windows Setup Boot disks appropriate for your installation from Microsoft at the following address:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 September 2006 - 09:24 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:05 AM

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x7e

This one's a doozy! Presuming that you've checked all of your hardware for compatibility, I'd suggest (as did Enthusiast) that you format your hard drive and start over.

Stopping an install in the middle is the surest way to hose the system files. Even if it picks back up with no "noticeable" problems - it may have missed that one file that you need later on.

Once XP is installed, update to SP2 and install all of the hardware drivers. This should cure the BSOD problem for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users