Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After processor change computer makes two long beeps

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 eurohttp

eurohttp

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:08 AM

Hello

Ok so I have a question. Just bought used Intel core 2 quad processor and computer won't start. It only makes two long beeps and that goes continuously. Computer is a HP small form factor dc7600. Motherboard is HP 09F8h. Socket is 775 LGA on motherboard.

I have upgraded from this processor:

http://ark.intel.com/products/27478/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-630-supporting-HT-Technology-2M-Cache-3_00-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

SL7Z9 (N0) 3 GHz 2 MB 800 MT/s 15× 1.2–1.4 V 84 W LGA 775 February 20, 2005 JM80547PG0802M $224

to this one:

http://ark.intel.com/products/38512

• SLGT6 (R0, with Intel VT-x)
4 2.67 GHz 2 × 2 MB 1333 MT/s 8× 0.85–1.3625 V
95 W
LGA 775 April 2009
  • AT80580PJ0674ML
$183

I tried to find answers on forums but had no luck. I tried to figure out what those beeps mean but I don't know for which bios should I find the codes.

My power supply unit is bad which made previous processor to run slowly, so I bought a new processor. Is it possible that this new processor has power issue because of power supply unit(which I plan to replace)? Shouldn't it run only slower than previous processor? How come it spins fans for a 1-2 second in the same time when it beeps? Or in some way new processor does not fit the motherboard?

Thanks for replies

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:35 PM

Hi there eurohttp, welcome to BC!

Unfortunately I don't think your motherboard will support the newer Core 2 Quad CPU. Doing a bit of googling it looks like HP doesn't really update their BIOS to support anything else other than what was in the PC in the first place. Take a look here and here.

The last link specifically states that the HP PC won't take a newer quad core CPU. If it was a dead CPU that caused you to get a new one, you would have to get the same exact one again.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 eurohttp

eurohttp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

This is a disappointment then. I will certainly replace PSU. Just to get old processor faster again. It was a trouble for nothing. At least I haven't spent much on this quad. My only hope is that new PSU will support this quad. But probably those from HP know it better. I will look for more answers. Thank you for your efford and reply.

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:02 PM

A new Power Supply (PSU) won't help you out at all. It is your motherboard that is the issue. If it was a full size PC you probably could get a new motherboard, but with it being a small form factor it may be a bit more difficult/not even worth it.

#5 eurohttp

eurohttp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

Thanks. I will probably buy new PSU for the old processor, which could work faster then. I don't think I can change motherboard so easy as well.

I am stuck with old processor then.

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:26 PM

A new PSU will not make the processor run faster. It can only run as fast as its able to. If your computer is running slowly you might try adding more RAM and maybe even getting an SSD drive.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:45 PM

Max RAM:  4 x1GB modules.

System dates to 2005...it is slow by recent standards and should be expected to be such.  You might consider saving for a refurbished system of more recent vintage.

Example.

For the amount of that selling price...you cannot even buy Windows 7 as a standalone item and it's preinstalled, with a better CPU and more RAM than your DC7600.

Louis

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:04 PM

Hamluis makes a good point. I'll second his suggestion of getting a decent refurbed system.

#9 eurohttp

eurohttp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

I just posted on hp. Yes its true. 

They said: "The fastest (best) processor you can install is the Pentium D 945."

or 950 if you want virtualization technology. 

I will probably go with this 950. But its too bad that it doesn't support quad core which I have.

or any as well quad core.

This is then a really old technology. Thanks for replies.

#10 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:57 PM

Linux Mint 17.3 runs quite well on 4 GB of RAM, certainly better than any version of Windows runs...; I'm sure Ubuntu 14.04 would run equally well...

(An option vice scrapping the rig, anyway....)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#11 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

Yup, Linux is a great viable option. OP, if you are curious about it at all check out BC's Linux section, here.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:50 AM

My HP dc5800 took a upgrade from a Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0GHz) to a E8600 (3.33GHz), though had to use a special HP microcode (maybe supplied by Intel) for it to work, and had to perform the microcode update prior to installing the upgraded CPU. :)

Did consider a C2Q 9550/9650, though already have an Optiplex 780 with that one, plus the PSU of the PC would have more to handle, so went with the E8600. All was running fine until I performed a Windows 10 upgrade, and once it booted to desktop, it was over, just like that. Tried several times to revive the BIOS with a Win98 rescue USB drive (reloading the BIOS), it came up once, and never did again. :(

So IMO, Louis provided a good link to what appears to be a mouth watering deal for me.......and I don't need anymore computers of any type, though if weren't saving for a much larger upgrade, would pull the trigger after a couple of questions. The market is flooded with these former business/corporate systems, one of the best things I like about these are drive security, if one has Windows 7 Ultimate, 8.1 or 10 Pro, then Bitlocker is there for drive encryption......for every one installed, plus any USB drives attached. There's no better encryption than hardware level, even if the standard is one version behind. :)

Should you get one of those from one of the better rated sellers (the 2nd or 4th link on the page), these looks to be good PC's from reputable sellers, I never purchase anymore from sellers with less than 95% Feedback, except in the rare instance where I need a component & there's no other choices. Then will ask questions before purchase. Always ask questions if there's anything of concern before pulling the trigger. :)

As a last note, it's best to go with a refurbished computer that shipped with a minimum of Windows 7, Vista/XP computers are less likely to be in good condition, and some sellers will cover up (which is against the rules of being a Microsoft Authorised Refurbisher), if refurbished, both the original COA & the new one are supposed to be affixed to the computer. I know, have two of these systems, one purchased from an eBay seller & the one with the C2Q 9650, running fantastic. another from Newegg, the HP dc5800 that's kicked the bucket after what looked to be a BIOS corruption caused by a Windows 10 upgrade. Prior to that, Windows 7 was running fine, and even ran some of the W10 Previews on it w/out issue. The version that done the damage was the Anniversary Edition. 

So on some of these, it may be best to shy away from Windows 10, even if there's an easy upgrade path, and there's still an open one, under the disguise of the need for assistive technologies (the site says 'no proof required). Just an open back door for those who said 'No' to change their mind that I've used with success on several occasions for myself & others. :)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Just don't do it with an old HP computer of any type, their 'softpaq' updates tends to be funky at times, and for the best experience, use IE for the download. Though don't do anything w/out first imaging the computer to an external, and if there's an opportunity, create any OS recovery disc set offered, and whatever, don't touch the recovery partition if one is present, it can be used with a partition tool to be made active in an emergency to reload the OEM OS back onto the computer. Many gets rid of this w/out thinking of the future, most of the refurbished systems I've purchased shipped with a Recovery partition & are still on the computers. 

Good Luck in your hunt, though I feel that Louis pointed out an excellent deal, if purchased from the 2nd or 4th listed seller (as it stands now). :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users