Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot, can't refresh windows, can't reinstall windows.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OneStopShopper

OneStopShopper

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

Hey fellas. I've got a 3 year old Asus laptop that started taking 5-10 minutes to boot a couple months ago. Now it doesn't boot at all. Here's what happens:

Normal boot - stuck at boot animation or black screen after animation
Booting into settings (F8) - black screen after "Please Wait" text under windows logo
Booting from win8 USB: Refresh says "drive is locked" or something similar. Installing windows asks for key and my original key gives "This key won't work."

I'm running windows 8.1, laptop was pre-installed with windows 8. The model is a K56C.

Things I've done:
Sfc /scannow - everything seems fine
Renamed system to system.001 refresh still won't work
Got into windows somehow, put an Install.WIM file in /c: and registered it using reagentc commands
Refreshed windows after that, got to 100% and then stuck at black screen.

I'm absolutely devastated and desperate. I need to be applying to universities right now. I'm hitting deadlines every week. This bleep laptop is going to cost me months of my life. Please help in any way you can.

Edited by OneStopShopper, 08 March 2017 - 09:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

I understand why you are desperate. I am not sure what you mean by renaming system to system.001. Are you talking about the SYSTEM hive in C:\Windows\System32\config? This computer has been taking 5 to 10 minutes to boot for the last couple of months?

What is the OS on the computer and the model of the Asus? Was the computer pre-installed with Windows 8? If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 then the key is embedded in firmware and you should be able to click next without entering a key. This sounds like a hardware problem. Was this computer upgraded to Windows 10?

I can recommend trying to boot with a live linux disk. This would allow you to recover your data and browse the internet to accomplish and web activities. If you wish to try this option I can provide instructions. Do you have a couple of spare flash drives or DVD disks? I am assuming you are posting from a phone or another computer. Do you have access to another computer in order to download files?

Edit: If this is Windows 8 there may be a possibility to do a System Restore or Refresh from within Windows by forcing the Advanced Boot Options at boot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 March 2017 - 09:35 AM.

#3 OneStopShopper

OneStopShopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:53 AM

Sorry for not providing enough information. I'm not thinking straight.

I renamed the system hive following this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2823223/unable-to-refresh-or-reset-pc-after-automatic-repair-fails-in-windows-8 I can't format right, I'm on my phone. Yeah the laptop started taking a while to startup. It got worse over time. It might be a hardware issue as I did start getting a "Windows has detected a hard disk problem" a few days ago.

The laptop is an Asus K56C. Windows 8 was pre-installed and I upgraded to 8.1. I got the Product key by using a script I found online. I know about booting with Linux disks, but I want to fix the laptop. This is windows 8.1, back when I could get into Advanced boot options (it gets stuck now) I tried doing a system refresh and a system restore. None of them started. System restore claimed that it didn't have a system image and Refresh said that my drive was locked.

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2017 - 10:48 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,640 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

From your post you said the drive was locked. Was this with a Windows 8 USB key or a Windows 8.1 key? If a Windows 8 key get access to another computer and create a 8.1 key using the Media Creation Tool. For ASUS tap F8 at boot to select the USB boot device and see if you can do a refresh from the flash drive otherwise try the following. If you can get to Advanced Boot Options using the below method it may not freeze but I have a feeling you are dealing with a hard drive problem which can be checked using UBCD.

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

#5 OneStopShopper

OneStopShopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:38 AM

Windows 8.1 USB.
I tried refreshing from the flash. Halfway through it gives me an error and tells me nothing was changed.
I already did the on/off thing. Nothing from the advanced options worked. Now if I do it I get a black screen after "Preparing automatic repair"

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2017 - 10:49 AM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:39 AM

Are you saying you are using an illegally obtained product key? It certainly sounds that way. If so, you need to purchase a Windows DVD, Boot to it, and then format the drive and install a clean copy of Windows.

#7 OneStopShopper

OneStopShopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

Are you saying you are using an illegally obtained product key? It certainly sounds that way. If so, you need to purchase a Windows DVD, Boot to it, and then format the drive and install a clean copy of Windows.

Oh no! I used a script to find the key embedded in my laptops firmware. How can that be illegal?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

oh okay. Sorry - I misunderstood.

Have you run full diagnostics on your hd and checked the ram?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,640 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

It's not illegal. If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 the key is located in the MSDM table. I am not sure why the OS says it is locked unless this is do to a improper shutdown. Windows 8 and 10 has a hybrid shutdown which uses the hybernation file to have quicker startups.

#10 OneStopShopper

OneStopShopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

oh okay. Sorry - I misunderstood.

Have you run full diagnostics on your hd and checked the ram?

Nope. I can't get on my desktop (laptop desktop) and I don't know how to make any bootable USBs which do that. Any tips?

On a related note, I've been trying to fix up an old PC at home by installing windows 8 on it. Setup loaded perfectly 3 times with different hard drives but I didn't go through with the installation. This last time, I added the laptops hard drive just to see if I could format it or something and setup didn't load. Is this simply a coincidence or is this a sign that the hard drive is donezo?

Edited by OneStopShopper, 08 March 2017 - 10:58 AM.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

A couple of things you said make me think there may be a problem with the hd, that's why I'd like to check it.  The specs for your laptop indicate it should have an internal cd/dvd drive. Assuming it does, just go to the website of your hd manufacturer, download their diagnostic, burn it to cd and boot to it on the laptop to run it.

#12 OneStopShopper

OneStopShopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:05 AM

It's not illegal. If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 the key is located in the MSDM table. I am not sure why the OS says it is locked unless this is do to a improper shutdown. Windows 8 and 10 has a hybrid shutdown which uses the hybernation file to have quicker startups.

Improper shutdowns did happen. Multiple times I think. My dad pulls out the laptops battery because it hangs up. This happened hours before it stopped booting completely.

A couple of things you said make me think there may be a problem with the hd, that's why I'd like to check it.  The specs for your laptop indicate it should have an internal cd/dvd drive. Assuming it does, just go to the website of your hd manufacturer, download their diagnostic, burn it to cd and boot to it on the laptop to run it.

It does have a CD/DVD drive. I'll do this as soon as I have access to a working PC. Thanks!

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

While you're at it, you might as well check the ram the same way: download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

#14 OneStopShopper

OneStopShopper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

While you're at it, you might as well check the ram the same way: download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

I went over to a friends and checked the hard drive aaaaand.... Its bad. That pretty much explains everything. Im going to transfer everything I can and get a new one. Thanks for all your help fellas!

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users