Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delayed event sounds, slow operation, task manager CPU usage

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 hdleng

hdleng

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1), HP Compaq d530 CMT

Several strange behaviors began simultaneously a couple of weeks ago.  The PC has become very sluggish with most operations taking 2 to 3 times longer than previously.  When I check task manager, it shows high CPU usage - often 100% for long periods.  When I look at the processes tab, the individual processes seem to add up to far less than the total shown - I have "show processes from all users" selected.  Event sounds occur 5 to 10 seconds late (after a dialog box item is selected, for example).

I have Norton Antivirus (part of the Centurylink customer package) installed, and I did a scan with no problems shown.

This started after I had grandchildren visit, but I don't know which web site they might have visited.

Has anyone else seen these problems?  Do you have suggestions to repair this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:20 PM

Hello hdleng! Perhaps you can try some tests for me? :)
Go ahead and open your task manager, you should see the processes tab, open that. You will now see several smaller tabs at the top, labeled Image Name, User Name, CPU, Memory, and Description.

Go ahead and click CPU. This should put a small arrow above CPU and will organize your processes in order of what consumes the most CPU usage, and prioritize those processes to the top.

Are these issues constant, trigger or worsen when doing certain things? Does it stay high constantly or spike occasionally?

Do any processes pop up randomly and disappear? If this happens, do you notice a drop in performance?

Let me know any questions or concerns you have! :)

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#3 hdleng

hdleng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

Illustrious, thank you for the reply.

I followed your instructions and found this.  I had total CPU usage of 5 to 15% with 3 applications running:  Firefox, Notepad++, and Atmel Studio.  When I open Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe), CPU usage goes to 100% and stays that way.  iexplore.exe usage varies between 70 and 95%.  Though I don't see the behavior right now, sometime I see svchost.exe use nearly 100% of CPU for extended periods.

Edited by hdleng, 07 March 2017 - 09:00 PM.

#4 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:14 PM

Do me a favor and open your internet explorer. When you see the CPU usage spike, right-click your iexplorer.exe in your task manager and click "Open file location". If this is located in a trusted folder or random folder, let me know. svchost.exe is a Microsoft process that manages your computer's registry and other very important services. You will more than likely have more than 3 of these at a given time, as a security measure from Microsoft to make sure if one svchost fails, your entire system doesn't fail. If these svchost end up taking loads of CPU usage, they can be either signs of corrupted files within the system or malware. If I am able to diagnose this as malware, I will have upper management help you from there.

Do you have any pop-ups or redirections occur when you are in explorer? Do these issues happen with any other browsers?
Also as a note, do all of the svchost take up lots of memory? Normally these should only take up a few thousand kb, sometimes more in a few exceptions. A way you can check what each svchost is opening the file location of each, and it will highlight the processes and services it is using, as well as taking you to each directory.

I'll be in touch! :)

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#5 hdleng

hdleng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:01 PM

Illustrious, when I started internet explorer, right clicked in task manager, and opened file location, the location is C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\.

There are 14 instances of svchost.exe running.  All except 2 of them use between 1,000K and 5,000K.  The other 2 use 16,000K and 60,000K.  When I click show services, I see WinDefend  for the 16,000K instance and UxSms, TrkWks, SysMain, PcaSvc, Netman, HomeGro..., hidserv, CscService, and AudioEnd... for the 60,000K instance.

The only pop-up that I get in Internet Explorer is "Would you like to make internet explorer your default browser yes/no".  The other browser (Firefox) seems OK with one slight peculiarity: in Tools>Options>When Firefox Starts: , "show my windows and tabs from last time" is not available; it is subdued.

This time when I clicked my user button to unlock windows 7, there was a 1 minute - 5 seconds delay before I heard the audio beep.

#6 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:56 AM

Have you tried reinstalling your explorer? Some browsers may also have a factory reset button like firefox, where it says in your options "Refresh firefox", this sets everything to default and saves a folder of old data to your desktop in case you want to revert it back. Perhaps you can find one of these options, if not, try reinstalling. As for the svchost, I will look into it. Good luck! :)

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#7 hdleng

hdleng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:23 PM

I just did a search for "uninstall internet explorer 11", found and followed instruction to uninstall internet explorer 11.  Now when I start internet explorer, internet explorer 8 comes up.  My CPU usage is now lower - total 60 - 80% with iexplore.exe acounting for 40 - 70%.  This happens with no activity (just idle) on internet explorer.  I still have long delays for event sounds.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

"...I just did a search for "uninstall internet explorer 11", found and followed instruction to uninstall internet explorer 11.  Now when I start internet explorer, internet explorer 8 comes up..."

One can only roll back to a previous IE or roll forward to a newer IE, one can never uninstall IE.

Edited by RolandJS, 09 March 2017 - 07:55 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

Please...go to the Windows Update webpage...select the option to not do auto updates.  Then go to services...STOP the Windows Update service...reboot.

Tell us if your CPU/RAM usage remained high.

Louis

#10 hdleng

hdleng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:45 PM

hamluis, thanks for helping.  Tell me if I followed your instructions correctly.

I:

1) went to control panel > all control panel items > windows update > change settings,

2) found "install update automatically (recommended)" was selected

3) changed the selection to "never check for updates (not recommended)"

4) clicked OK and closed the control panel dialogs

5) went to task manager > services

6) found, right clicked on windows update, and selected stop service

7) selected shutdown > restart

8) after the computer restarted, I opened task manager and firefox

9) for about 2 minutes, CPU usage was 100% with firefox accounting for most of that

10) now CPU usage has dropped to 5 - 30%, and physical memory to 46%

#11 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:01 PM

As for the svchost, I will look into it. Good luck! :)

As I said in a previous post, I would look into your svchost issue. Everything sounds normal, it is perfectly normal to have 10 instances or so at once, ranging anywhere from a few hundred kb to sometimes over 100,000 kb. However consuming as much CPU usage as you described truly sounds like malware to me. When you open the file location of each svchost that takes up CPU usage, where does it bring you, and what does it highlight (if it highlights anything at all)? I will diagnose or a higher-up can diagnose you if you are infected with malware or not. Best of luck, I'll be here. :)

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:35 AM

You may want to try the following tool for svchost situations: http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/tweaking_com_svchost_exe_lookup_tool.html .

BC information:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchostexe-process/

Louis

#13 hdleng

hdleng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:06 PM

Louis, thanks for the suggestions.  I will give them a try.

Frank

#14 hdleng

hdleng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

I have looked at each service running under the srvchost,exe instances.  I did a web search for each of them to determine what they are supposed to do, where they should be located and their sizes.  They all seem to be in order.

Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users