Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need basic steps to capture correct data to troubleshoot Win 8.1 errors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EmmaSurf

EmmaSurf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

Hello: I thought I remembered an article/tutorial that stated the basic tools to use to capture logs, etc. but if so I can not find that article.

I purchased an 'open box' that turned out to be actually used by someone else and I guess returned, and the 'techs' that certified it was ok had apparently mixed up several Windows version files in their 'cleanup'. I've gotten it fairly well cleaned up but some issues keep recurring that I can't seem to correct. So I apologize if I'm posting before I capture the first step data you might need.

hp pavillion amd processor oem version win 8.1. Most issues are around search not finding files, explorer will sometimes/often put a green bar up when clicking on a folder, take a long time to complete the bar, and often say the folder is empty. It doesn't matter if they are in library or not, and has even done it on the C:\. About a month ago SFC showed issues with ownership on many entries, and DISM fixed or appeared to. The problem is back - not sure if it gradually deterioriated but it became an issue in the past few days. SFC /scannow will state it fixed all issues, but if I run it again it again says it fixed all issues, so they are not really getting fixed (all of this is at elevated command). I ran DISM checkhealth and it didn't show anything. I didn't run the actual DISM fix commands in case there was something else you want me to do first. 

The CBS log is a little different this time. It has some entries for CSIPERF:TXOMMIT; IDK if that is relevant but i didn't see them a month ago in those logs. I did find comments on Win10 and Win7 that showing up was usually indicative of Win update issues, but didn't see that specifically for Win 8.1. Most of the errors in CBS.log are DIRSWD OWNER WARNING or 'ignoring duplicate ownership for direction...'.

Can you advise what info I should run/capture and post to help me understand what is occurring? Thank you very much for your help. (FYI with a little fiddling I can bootin safe mode if necessary - I have an external monitor since this is HP with the wonky hinge issue, and it's hard to get external monitor recognized when I boot in safe mode for some reason).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Rather than guessing what is problematic with the operating system I would suggest reinstalling it.

Since this is a HP computer there is a  Recovery Manager option which can be used to reinstall the operating system to the condition it was in when it was first fired up.  Since this computer is new to you I would think that you don't have a very much in the way of personal files created.  Because of this it would be a lot simpler to just reinstall the operating system.

You have a couple of options here.

1. Use the Recovery Manager.  This will reinstall the operating system and drivers.  It will also reinstall all of the bloatware that HP included.

2. You could download a ISO image to create a installation disc.  This would provide a installation minus all of the bloatware, but you would need to go to the manufacturer's website and download the drivers that will be needed.  If you decide to go this route you may need the product code to make the download and installation.  I can provide you with a means of retrieving this information.  The product code use to be found on a tag, with a laptop or notebook this would have been on the bottom of the case.  With Windows 8.1 the product code is embedded in the BIOS.

I'll help you with which ever you want to do.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

Hi,

It's worth knowing that on "open-box" computers you buy at a computer store or online are often refurbished, and many times not by legitimate or licensed refurbishing companies.  The first 2 things I suggest you do, is see if your Windows 8.1 is ACTIVATED.  If it is not you have an illegal copy of Win8.1 and that doesn't bode well for the hardware either.  The next thing you should do is find the label on the HP case somewhere, you didn't say whether you have a desktop PC or laptop.  There should be a Serial Number on that label.  Visit the HP support website at http://support.hp.com.  Run the Identify this Computer button or manually type in the Serial Number you found on the label.  If the HP identify utility or the website cannot identify your PC there is a chance that it is pirated, :pirate:  or that serial number is registered to another person or a business.  You may have to call HP to straighten that out.  After the issue of whether or not the Win8.1 is Activated or Licensed or not is the issue of a missing label; no label anywhere at all.  This is another indication of something amiss with the person or company you purchased it from.  If your Win8.1 is NOT Activated, and the PC maker's label has been removed or scraped off, you have big problems and you should consider returning it to your place of purchase for a refund. 

If the person or company told you this was a Refurbished computer, or there is a label that says it's refurbished, or you have a Sales Receipt that states it's Refurbished; again something is remiss.  I would return it immediately for a refund.  If this is not a Refurbished computer, the other problem that often occurs is that individuals or stores often pull out the hard drive and RAM memory sticks and replace with used parts which are often failing or failed or sub-standard in some other way.  Stores who sell their returned stock as OPEN-BOX will be able to give you a substantial discount over the same computer that's in factory boxes, so if that computer is over 1 year old, the manufacturer's warranty on the computer no longer applies.  If the store doesn't tell you the Warranty period or doesn't offer you to buy an Extended Warranty on the computer, it's on you to pay to fix it.  You get what you pay for.

Those things I mention are what professional Techs look for.  If you have trouble with this or can't wrap your head around it, I might suggest you take your computer to a licensed Computer Pro in your area and pay him to go through the computer.  If he finds things amiss, or sub-standard or bad parts used, he can test those and determine that too.  Usually for $75-$100 he can tell you if you were ripped off or not.  He can also give you a written estimate on how much it would cost to repair the unit, both parts if needed, and labor included.  If that repair estimate is more than you paid for the machine; you may wish to return it for a refund as I already mentioned and go to a different store and purchase a brand new one with a 1-year factory warranty. 

Hope that helps. :thumbup2:

<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 09 March 2017 - 08:41 PM.

#4 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:28 PM

To find what is installed (programs etc) download MiniToolBox to desktop and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

• Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices (do NOT change any settings here)
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size
  • List Restore Points

Click Go and check or post the result.

I lost my updated link for "Speccy" from Piriform, but it is in the B.C downloads area. It will give a better idea of installed (and worn) hardware

These are just 2 "Watching" programs that you can keep and use on a semi-regular basis if you know what you are looking for.

Keep only 1 antivirus and 1 ant-malware program active at any time ..................................

Report back here or Am I Infected forum areas if you want more help, as these are only a couple of the dozens of pwxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,404 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:47 AM

@BIGBEARJEDI

Some of what you posted can occur, but with a reputable seller these possibilities are extremely small.  Having worked in the production of electronic devices I've had first hand experience with refurbished products.  I'm sure there are some small companies that will take shortcuts in order to make a fast buck, but this is not endemic to this industry. :thumbup2:

Edited by dc3, 10 March 2017 - 09:51 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,404 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

Jaycan suggested posting the MiniToolBox in order to see what  programs you have installed.  In order to do this you only need to select the option List Installed Programs.

Here's the Speccy request that Jaycan was missing.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

#7 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for the help dc3, I will use and keep your script if OK;

As we know MiniToolBox will also list Restore points (can be very important in a used box), Users, Partitions and Memory size (also any recent errors).

Along with Speccy you can check many basic areas without first using Malware Removal tools.

If you list any "special areas" that you wish us to look at this would make the whole process a lot easier.. rather than just a vague post like you made.

Regards J ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users