Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access BIOS with Lenovo B575e 3685

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 teetrinker

teetrinker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

Hi,

I am using a LENOVO B575e with BIOS version HPET18WW(1.03)  (OS is win7_64 - it is not secure boot).

I am not able to enter the BIOS with any combition of keys enter, del, esc, F1 .. F12, with and without fn pressed. It is not possible to enter the boot menu either. So I am just able to boot from HDD. Standard is F1 for BIOS and F12 for boot menu.

I tried the BIOS update utitility from the Lenovo support site - but it doesnt work ( "The process does not recognize this system. The process has been canceled")

After removing the battery, the BIOS says "System CMOS Checksum bad. Real Time Clock Error - Check Date and Time settings. Press Esc to continue or F1 to enter Setup". I am now able to enter the bios by pressing F1. But I am not able to enter the boot menu. After setting the system clock I am no longer able to enter the BIOS

After removing the HDD I was able to boot from CD. So I was able to use the BIOS update utility for CD, which canceled with an error.

Note that I am not able to boot from CD when a HDD is connected.

Thanks for your help,

teetrinker

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:26 PM

If you can ever manage to get into the BIOS again, perhaps with all hard drives disabled, etc., disable 'fast boot', which might allow a few more precious seconds to choose an option.....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 teetrinker

teetrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

Fast boot is disabled - so I see the screen with all the hardware information and the last line Press F1 to enter BIOS, when turning on the notebook. The screen is displayed for about 5secs, but I am not able to enter BIOS by pressing F1.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

After removing the battery, the BIOS says "System CMOS Checksum bad. Real Time Clock Error - Check Date and Time settings. Press Esc to continue or F1 to enter Setup"

This was the CMOS battery? Was it replaced with a new one?

#5 teetrinker

teetrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:03 AM

Yes, it was the CMOS battery. I didn't replace it. But after inserting it again BIOS changes are saved. ( The first time the computer boots after inserting I get that message: "System CMOS Checksum bad. Real Time Clock Error - Check Date and Time settings. Press Esc to continue or F1 to enter Setup" and I am able to enter BIOS (by pressing F1, but not the boot menu). After setting the system clock I am no longer able to do that.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:56 AM

I was thinking a new CMOS battery may help but after your post I am not sure. You could take out the main and CMOS battery then hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the CMOS battery or replace with new one. See if you can access BIOS by tapping F1 instead of pressing F1. Were you tapping F12 instead of pressing when trying to bring up the boot menu?

#7 teetrinker

teetrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

I tried both tapping and pressing. Your other suggestion aren't working either =( (even with a new battery) - but thank you

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:23 AM

I am out of ideas on this, sorry. You may have better luck using the Lenovo forums. Somebody there may be familiar with your model and a possible solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users