Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Explorer Crashes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Metzgirl

Metzgirl

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:11 PM

Hey Guys,

I'm a tech at a smallish-sized company and we have two users who have had unsolveable file explorer crashing issues. We've had others with similar issues, but two remain. 

Exact problem: Customer opens File explorer. Once navigated to certain files, it shuts down. If the user searches for something, file explorer shuts down. We have them remoting into other workstations when they need to find files for the moment. 

Similarities among users: 

• WIndows 10
  • Adobe Creative Cloud
  • Office 365
  • Standard stuff: Java, Flash, Chrome, Firefox, etc

We usually keep them updated as soon as patches are available. 

One is a Surface Pro 4 user

One has a Dell 9020. 

So far, we have tried: 

• Under Folder Options
    •  Clearing the File Explorer History
    •     Unchecking the Show recently used files/folders in Quick Access check boxes
    •     Check the "Launch Folder windows in a separate process" 
    •     Clear the "How to search: Don't use the index  when searching in the file folders for system files" check box 
    •     Restore Defaults
  • Uninstall/ Reinstall Adobe Products (Worked on one of the others who had the trouble)
  • Create a new profile for the user on the same machine

Note: In both cases, we started with File Explorer COMPLETELY crashing upon opening. The Profile rebuild at least allows them to access some files. 

Both of them are in communications and are attempting to navigate to their crazy-long named files on network drives. I *think* the file server is on Windows server 2012, but I'm not sure. 

If anyone has some insights I would be SUPER grateful 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

Does the issue occur in safe mode?

What files exactly are causing the crash? Where exactly are they located?

Have you done a "proper" uninstall of Adobe? Adobe provides a Creative Cloud uninstaller which removes ALL Creative Cloud files. It might remove Adobe Acrobat Reader as well, even though it should only touch Acrobat Pro. Link for detailed instructions from Adobe support.

Have you tried opening a command prompt and performing a system file check? 

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

Try doing a Clean Boot to see if there is a third party service causing this.  Remember that when you do this it will disable a third party antivirus.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users