Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How long does the typical cell phone last in theory?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

How many years, do you think, would the hardware last (excluding the battery) on a brand-new iPhone 5S if taken care of properly (relatively regularly cleaned and not getting dropped)? I've noticed that my PC from 2005 is still working like new after almost 12 years now and was thinking of whether or not such a feat could be pulled off by a smartphone, e.g. the iPhone 5S. Obviously the battery would need to be changed after a while and probably the screen would have some pixels go off after ~10 years or so, but would the rest, the SoC for example, theoretically last forever (20-25 years+), provided a moderate cell phone use of about 1.5 hours a day? What do you reckon? I would appreciate your expertise on this brain-teaser.

P.S. I leave out the whole software part of the question aside for the sake of the argument and also assume that service providers will not drop support for 3G & 4G connection in the foreseeable future.

Thanks!

:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 07 March 2017 - 12:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,817 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

I would say that your conjecture about the hardware having a "virtually perpetual" life under conditions of careful use are very close to true.

I still have my first LG Optimus V, which is now being used as an MP3 player, but that was carried with me for several years and has been in continuous use at home ever since (and at times playing music on "perpetual loop" for weeks at a time).

Smartphones in general are pretty robust hardware.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

I would say that your conjecture about the hardware having a "virtually perpetual" life under conditions of careful use are very close to true.

I still have my first LG Optimus V, which is now being used as an MP3 player, but that was carried with me for several years and has been in continuous use at home ever since (and at times playing music on "perpetual loop" for weeks at a time).

Smartphones in general are pretty robust hardware.

Thank you for the speedy response once again, Brian! :)

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:35 PM

Are you asking how long a cell will last in general (whether it can still function as a phone or not) or how long it will last as a phone? Those are likely two very different answers.

For the latter, you cannot just assume away the time frame of when cell companies might no longer support a particular phone or technologies that a particular phone uses. For example, as I noted in your other thread where essentially asked the same question, AT&T just dropped support for 2G, thus killing the original iPhone's ability to work as a phone on AT&T's network. Of course, an original iPhone could still be used for other things (such as playing music). So, in this specific case, if you are asking how long it would last as a functioning phone, for the original iPhone, it lasted about 10 years. If asking how long it would last in general, then it can still be going strong even if you cannot use it as a phone. Now, I do agree that 4G (i.e. LTE) is not likely going anywhere soon, but 3G is a tougher call (no pun intended). It is not beyond the realm of possibility that 3G could start to go away from some carriers in the relative near future (say 4 or 5 years or maybe less). It will likely not be really threatened until so-called 5G (or whatever comes next) is actually widely implemented. And even then, it is possible that 3G tech sticks around for calls, while 4G or 5G handles data (I believe many carriers still use 3G tech for calls now).

#5 oldguyjesse67

oldguyjesse67

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:10 PM

Mine is 3 1/2 years old from the day i bought it but was on the market a year before. It lags like crazy cause it can't handle new updates and stuff. The market and software pretty much forces you to replace every few years. When 6G comes out I'm sure 3G will be faded out and so on. But I so enjoy seeing how far I can push it and get my moneys worth.  

#6 anajames

anajames

• Banned Spammer
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:48 AM

I use an Iphone 6 16gb and the battery lasts around a day n half as i do not make much calls but texting, snapchat and other social media is used.

#7 alaina999

alaina999

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:35 PM

Mine is 3 1/2 years old from the day i bought it but was on the market a year before. It lags like crazy cause it can't handle new updates and stuff. The market and software pretty much forces you to replace every few years. When 6G comes out I'm sure 3G will be faded out and so on. But I so enjoy seeing how far I can push it and get my moneys worth.  

Agree! I think around 2-3 years.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:39 PM

More information than you thought possible about batteries: http://batteryuniversity.com

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:42 PM

More information than you thought possible about batteries: http://batteryuniversity.com

Nice! Thank you. I am usually more of a Wikipedia type of guy, but this is much more detailed. Thanks once more!
:)

#10 alexoler

alexoler

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

I have had my s5 since January 2015 and it still goes strong.So i feel like in average 2-3 Years if you actually care for it

#11 anajames

anajames

• Banned Spammer
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:58 AM

I used an iPhone 4. Bought it back in 2012 and it is still running without problems. I guess it depends on how one uses it. Sometimes people just do not care about the device, quite careless i would say.

#12 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:59 AM

Yes, I agree and thank you for your reply!

#13 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:46 PM

Some interesting and short info on flash memory wear. Even if you take good care of it, a smartphone will eventually die, with almost 100% certainty within a century, unlike many watches with similar care being placed upon them.

#14 AnythingButMalware

AnythingButMalware

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

I'd say a good 5 years of use can come from a smartphone, maybe longer depending on how extensive it is used in your life. Most individuals upgrade after that specific amount of years due to new technology becoming widely adopted and needed for certain things.

Have you tried turning it off and back on? :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users