Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet Connection / Network Adapters

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Somicro

Somicro

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:19 PM

Hello

Im trying to bring back to life my old PC ( motherboard ASrock G31M GS )
I reinstalled windows 7 and here are screenshots:

DEVICE MANAGER Attached File  screenshot.2.jpg   116.49KB   0 downloads
NETWORK CONNECTIONS Attached File  screenshot.3.jpg   38.32KB   0 downloads

WHEN I TRY TO INSTALL Realtek Enthernet Controller Driver Attached File  screenshot.1.jpg   31KB   0 downloads
WHEN I TRY TO INSTALL Intel Network Connections Attached File  screenshot.5.jpg   40.31KB   0 downloads

I tried removing RAM, CMOS battery, BIOS to default.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:31 PM

Your LAN chip is not detected and therefore you cannot install a driver. Enter BIOS and under the Advanced section look under Chipset Configuration. Make sure Onboard LAN is enabled. I am not sure if it is enabled or disabled by default. If enabled then perhaps the LAN chip is bad and you will need to use a USB to Ethernet adapter.

#3 Somicro

Somicro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

It is enabled by default.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,847 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

Then I would say the LAN chip is bad. Click the top most tree, your PC, in Device Manager and click Action > Scan for Hardware Changes. Does the scan pick up the LAN chip?

Did you download and install the inf driver on the support page? That may let Windows detect the LAN chip.

If this is a Windows issue you could rule it out by booting a live linux disk like fatdog64. If the LAN chips is detected and you can connect to the internet then you know is some Windows issue but I would not have any idea on what it could be.

#5 Somicro

Somicro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:12 PM

Still not fixed but thank you for your time.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,847 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

No problem, hopefully other people on the forum have some additional ideas. I have used USB to Ethernet adapters with success but if using USB 2.0 you will not get gigabit speeds.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/usb-ethernet-adapter

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 March 2017 - 01:21 PM.

#7 ItsAllGeekToMe

ItsAllGeekToMe

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:53 PM

Sorry, just realized that I sent the same link as JohnC_21.  Please disregard.

Tagging onto what JohnC_21 said, you might want to check the manufacturers website for the chipset software.  I think that this link is what you are looking for http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/g31m-gs/#osW764  Click on Support and then choose Windows 7 or Windows 7 64bit depending upon your needs.  The link that I added will take you to the 64bit.  Just change the dropdown if needed.  After you install that and reboot, you might have better luck at detecting the NIC.  So, you will need to download this on a flash drive or some sort of portable storage device to copy it to and then install on this system.  Hope this is what you need.

Edited by ItsAllGeekToMe, 07 March 2017 - 03:08 PM.

#8 Somicro

Somicro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

For now no progress but ill try usb thingy...ty

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,847 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

You may want to burn a linux distro like fatdog64. This would rule out a hardware issue if you can connect to the internet. Burn the iso to a CD by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image on any Windows 7 or later computer.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users