Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 janbas

janbas

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:03 AM

Hi

I have a serious problem:

I had Windows XP and yesterday i did something (I don't know exactly what) and now everytime I try to boot my computer I get a message saying that my computer system is missing and nothing happens.
I've tried using the GHOST program from DOS (hope you know it). I saved my partition as an image (27 GB in size) on 4 DVDs, but when I tried to restore the partition from the DVDs I got an error message. I've tried using GHOST twice, and every time I tried to restore the partition, I got an error message.
I have a spare computer in home so i'm using it now and I've downloaded bootable floppy disk.

My main question is if there is some way I can try to restore my "C" partition, becuse i thing that even though my system fails to boot, the partition is still there...
I know the other option is just to reinstall Windows XP alltogether, but I had so many important things on my "C" partition, that I want to try any possible way to get it back before i give up.

Your help and any other useful suggestions and ideas would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mcheraghimn

mcheraghimn

• Banned
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:22 AM

I give you an advice.When you are trying to get back data from partition C,
you must have another computer(when all other ways doesn't work).It's a bit complicated and i cannot explain it.Maybe someone else can help you.

#3 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:58 PM

hi, janbas,

what exactly is the error message you get when you try to boot windows?

if you have the xp disc you could try a 'repair' rather than a reinstall.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:03 PM

What is the error message that you get when you try to restore the Ghost image to the appropriate active partition of your hard drive?

#5 janbas

janbas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:35 AM

Hi

I don't remember now what was the exact error message when I tried to restore the partition from ghost, but i've tried doing the same thing twice (12 dvds to garbage) , and both times i got the error message...
I think this GHOST thing didn't work because the system was already missing some essential files...

I couldn't use the Windows XP repair option, because for some reason the Windows XP CD that I have is not a bootable one, meaning that when I restarted my computer, and changed in the BIOS so that my first boot device would be the CD-ROM, the windows XP CD still couldn't load, so that's why I can't use the repair option or reinstall Windows XP alltogether.

Since then, I've installled the Windows 2000 on my computer because it was a bootable CD, and when the installation completed, I've inserted the Windows XP CD, and started Win XP setup.

After 5 minutes of installation, the computer needed to reboot, and when the computer restarted I needed to choose which operating system I want to use: Windows 2000 or XP

I thought that when installing the Win XP, it will automatically overwrite the Win 2000, but I was wrong and now I have dual operating systems and each time the computer restarts I have to choose between 2000 and XP.

When I chose the XP, the installation continued and then it asks me to insert the Windows XP setup CD, and even though the cd is there, the computer doesn't see it , and I have to abort the installation process...

What should I do so I can uninstall the windows XP components i've installed so far, and reinstall XP alltogether? Windows 2000 have installed successfully, by the way/

Maybe my Windows XP CD is not good, so maybe I should download new Windows XP, but I don't know where from and how....

And one other thing, can someone tell me an easy way I can download/make a bootable CD or a floppy disk?

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to explain the situation as detailed as possible...

please help....

Thanks

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:59 AM

If it installed XP after you installed Win 2K the cd is good, at least as much as it can do an installation of XP.

Did you format the drive and create an active partition on which to install XP initially?

Either that, or did you try to boot to the repair console or to do a repair install of XP with the XP cd?

Is the XP CD a "Genuine" full install retail copy, not an upgrade version?

The fact that you now have two op systems shows you did not perform either attempt at the installation properly, but in any case, does XP now work?

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 September 2006 - 04:01 AM.

#7 janbas

janbas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:25 AM

Windows XP wasn't installed.... In the middle of the installation, I was asked to insert the Win XP CD, and I did, but the computer didn't see it, so I had to abort the installation all together,
it only installed some components of the windows XP, because now every time i reboot my computer, I need to choose windows 2000 or XP

no, I didn't format the drive because I don't know how I can stay in DOS mode, and I know the formatting should be done from there...

Yeah, as far as i know it's the full version and not an upgrade...

If I do the format now, I will need a boot floppy/cd, right? because everything will be gone and i wouldn't be able to install windows XP because my CD is not bootable...

I want to uninstall windows 2000 and reinstall windows XP, without having dual operating systems

thanks for your help

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:30 AM

Download the appropriate Windows XP Setup Disks

How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

Get the ones that match your cd - not what would match your upgraded previous installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users