Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Check?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sweetonesissy

sweetonesissy

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:20 AM

Hi - I'm sure this is a stupid question but that's what I'm best at.  Is there a way to test a modem without being hooked to the computer?  As in changing the location to plug into another cable coax in a different part of the house.  I know the modem has a spot that turns green when on the internet and I didn't know if that would light up as well on its own if I plug the coax into the modem.  OR if it must be connected to the PC as well to do its thing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:55 AM

What exactly are you thinking of "testing"?  What is the problem you are trying to address?

A modem with cable internet and power should give a green internet light and blink with activity

#3 sweetonesissy

sweetonesissy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

Sorry - let me try to explain better.  My internet stopped working over a week ago.  I called Mediacom and they told me to undo this and redo this and then it would be fixed.  Not true tho.  Then I found out from my neighbors that Mediacom had an outage so that was the problem, not my network/modem/wifi.  So I called them back and now they are saying my modem doesn't work.  So now I'm not sure if I'm even hooked up correctly and or if my modem is broken?  So what I was wanting to do is unhook the modem from my home office and move it to my living room or bedroom or basement etc to hook to a coax cable to see if the green internet light works.  But I'm not sure that would make it light up if it solely if its just hooked to the power supply and the coax?  Or do I need to be hooked it to both those AND my computer to see if it will connect to the internet?

Also is this the right config:  Coax into modem, modem has cat6 cable to the router, router then has cable going into the back of dell pc.

Side note:  my wifi password got jacked in all this mess too, so I reset it, I think correctly now. 

I'm a mess over here :smash:

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

The only reason to move the modem is you suspect physical cable failure.  What you have described doesn't fit that criteria.

With the coax connected and modem powered what lights do you get?

Is this your modem or the ISPs?

Edited by Wand3r3r, 07 March 2017 - 08:26 PM.

#5 sweetonesissy

sweetonesissy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

Yeah the cable company is telling me that it's either a bad modem or a possible bad cable connection and they told me to hook it to a different cable connection without any Splitters this is why I'm asking the question if I hook it up to something else do I have to run a 50 foot cable to hook it to the back of the PC? like does the modem work independently or does the modem need the PC to connect to the internet? When the modem is hooked up in its current position not away from the PC it has the power lit, has upload lit has the download lit and it looks like a little computer monitor symbol I'm not sure what that means. out of five lights four are constantly lit the only one not lit up is the one that should be for where it's connected to the internet

#6 sweetonesissy

sweetonesissy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:47 PM

Sorry I didn't answer the question it is my modem it is a tp-link also not sure if this means anything but I just did a troubleshooting on it and it says Network Diagnostics the Remote device or resource won't accept the connection so I'm not sure what that means

#7 sweetonesissy

sweetonesissy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

any ideas?  I haven't heard back since last night

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

Modem doesn't need the pc to work but its a bit hard to test to see if it works without the pc connected.

No internet light means no connection to the modem from the ISP

Call your cable company and have them come and check the cables to the cable box outside your residence

Have you ever used a continuity tester?  Most volt meters have this.  To test if you have a bad/crimped cable do a continuity test between the center pin and the outside screw connector.  If it beeps that means there is continuity/connection and the cable or outlet is bad.  There should be no connection between the two.

Alternatively depending on cable box and if you have an extension cord you could go to the box itself and connect with a short cable directly to the cable box and modem router.  if lights go on for internet you have bad internal wiring inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users