Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Recovery Environment issues

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:04 AM

I have a Windows 10 Home Edition laptop

Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393

I was trying to install remix os on it, and ended up messing it up so windows wouldn't boot.

The problem occurred when I was using EasyBCD 2.3 and I clicked the "BCD Backup/Repair" button.

I accidentally hit "reset bcd configuration selected instead of re-create/repair boot files.

Because I was trying to get remix os to show up in the list when booting up the computer, and I thought that would help.

A window came up and I ignored it, like an idiot. I now see that I should have read it because it says "you must at least add one entry or else your pc will not boot"

But I ignored it thinking it just said something like the operation completed successfully.

So I of course rebooted my computer, which then led me to not having a computer that'd boot.

I however have a flash drive that I made using the microsoft media creation tool.

So I searched and ended up fixing it by following directions here http://www.screwloose.com.au/windows-10-bootrec-the-requested-system-device-cannot-be-found

I tried a few other methods before finding the one above, but they didn't work, and I don't remember what I tried.

I still want to install Remix OS but it fails. (see screenshots please)

So I figured I'd just reinstall windows or whatever.

So I plugged in the flash drive, rebooted the computer, pressed F2, entered my BIOS password, then went to a spot where it said boot override, and I selected UEFI: Patriot Memory PMAP.

Then the computer booted from the flash drive or whatever.

I clicked "Install now"

It gave me two options. The top one said "Upgrade: Install windows and keep files, settings and applications.

The files, settings, and applications are moved to Windows with this option. This option is only available when a supported version of Windows is already running on the computer."

So I selected that one. Because the bottom one said stuff about how it doesn't keep any of that.

After selecting it I got a windows that comes up saying " The computer started using the Windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart the computer so that Windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade. (Do not select custom (advanced) to perform an upgrade. Custom (advanced) installs a new copy of Windows and deletes your programs and settings.)

So then I restarted the computer normally without the flash drive inserted. I logged in. Clicked the settings gear/icon, then clicked update & security, then clicked Recovery. I clicked the top button that says "get started" under where it says "reset this pc"

I chose the "keep my files option. It then briefly says "getting things ready, this won't take long"

Then a window comes up saying "Could not find the recovery environment. Insert your Windows installation or recovery media, and restart your PC with the media."

I am so confused.... isn't that what I did when I booted from the flash drive, then selected install, then told it I wanted to keep my files, settings, and applications?

I have also attached a copy of the "remix os install log"

I also notice I have a lot of partitions, and I don't think I need all of them. Like why are there so many recovery partitions? How do I fix Windows Recovery Environment?
Thank you!

Attached Files

Edited by thatoneguyyep101, 07 March 2017 - 11:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

Start Windows 10 Recovery Environment from USB Flash Drive and on the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot, and then select Reset this PC.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:14 AM

Thank you for your response. However I realized the AC adapter stopped working.. the green light on it wouldn't come on so I ordered a new one for a little under $20. I should have it in around 3 or 4 days then I will try your suggestion. I don't want to use the laptop with no way to charge it.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:48 AM

Did you make sure that the power adapter matched the voltage output and the current rating?

This information can be found on the adapter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

The item description on eBay says "Genuine Samsung AC Adapter Charger CPA09-004A PSCV600/04A J1-Y2-b1"
The adapter I had that stopped working says "CPA09-004A" on it. So they should be the same model or whatever?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:20 AM

I would still want to see the DC Voltage output and current rating on the original power adapter and make sure that the adapter you are looking at matches those figures.  The output Voltage and Current rating for your adapter is DC Output: 19V 3.16A 60W.  I emphasize this because there are sellers out there that will list an adapter as being compatible with a certain model only to find that the voltage was correct but the current rated is too low.  This will cause problems.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

I contacted the seller to make sure. If it's not right I'll look into cancelling the order and just buy a compatible adapter at Walmart or somewhere

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:08 PM

The seller should have posted the specification for the power adapter.  If they did please post a link in this topic.

#9 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

It says...
Type
AC/Standard
Bundled Items
Power Cable
Compatible Brand
For Samsung
Brand
Samsung
Max. Output Power
60 W
MPN
Does not apply
Output Voltage(s)
19 V
UPC
Does not apply
Item Number
Category
Laptop Power Adapters/Chargers in Computers/Tablets & Networking

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:19 PM

The output voltage is correct, but the A (amp) figure isn't shown.  As I posted previously, if the current rating (this is usually abbreviated as A) is very important.  The Amp figure can be larger than 3.16A, but it should not be less.  If the current rating is too low the computer may not even boot.

Edited by dc3, 08 March 2017 - 12:20 PM.

#11 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

Thank you for all the help by the way. I contacted the seller. I should have paid more attention when ordering the item. But then again I don't know a lot about electrical terminology. I figured if I found one with the same model number and the right pkug.. for USA then the rest would automatically be right haha

#12 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:39 PM

@thatoneguyyep101

To calculate DC Amps, take the wattage and divide it by the voltage.

60. divided by 19. equals 3.157894736842105 or 3.16 as dc3 said.in post #6

Hope this helps

Old Rocker

#13 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

I don't see that in post #6... am I missing something?

#14 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

Never mind I thought u meant it was explained already how to find it. I understand now. Still kinda tired obviously

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

@ old rocker

Try that with a desktop  PSU.  For instance, take a Corsair HXi 1200 W PSU with a 110V line voltage.  1200/110 = 10.90A.

And here are the separate rail voltages  +3.3V@30A, +5V@30A, +12V@100A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3.5A

Have fun :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users