Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I remove the Linux boot files created in the Active Partition of UEFI PC?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:22 AM

The Topic header is fairly much of the question, and will add a bit of extra details.

My main PC will be running Windows only, as I have a slew of computers well capable of running the latest Linux Mint (currently 18.1) on. After I built it, and before I built the 2nd, then 3rd, not to mention a couple of others, plus two notebooks with the OS, have decided to keep my best computer with a single OS, and that's Windows 10 for the time being. May later perform a system image & revert back to 8.1 Pro w/Media Center, though that's not cast into stone yet, or may never happen, as it would cost me point in some benchmarks, of which some penalizes one w/out the latest OS installed. 

So in the UEFI, there's two entries, Ubuntu & Windows Boot Manager, which I presume came from the small partition where one places the Linux bootloader, as the OS is no longer on the system. However after exploring the partition with MiniTool Partition Wizard, there's Grub entries in there. Can I assign a letter to the partition temporarily to delete those, revert back & reboot, praying that all will be OK & Ubuntu will no longer show in the UEFI setup (cannot delete it there, can only move up or down) & all will be cleared afterwards? 

Or will more drastic actions be needed? I don't see the need for reinstall to purge a few entries, nor do I see the need to revert to a near year old backup image prior to the dual boot setup, only to have to perform updates/upgrades to most everything on the OS. To include installed software, which by now are many versions behind. If I were reverting back to Windows 8.1, this would be a non-issue, could accept updating, it's simply not in the plans for now. :)

Since there's no physical Linux Mint now installed, the only other specs I have is the first in my sig, which is copy/pasted below. 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gVBJx7ivpIeeuq7ZKUzXZEJ

And since it was Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon which did the damage, I feel that it should be addressed here, if a Moderator feels different, can always feel free to move where it needs to be. :)

Am hopeful this will also clear the Ubuntu entry in the UEFI w/out resorting to resetting it, which would cause me to lose custom changes, in particular, all the time & effort required to set the CPU multiplier to jack up the CPU rate (all cores) to 4.2GHz. Prior to that, these were more variable & never could get all cores to hold the same multiplier, which dictates the CPU power scheme. So if at all possible, a UEFI reset is the last thing I'd want to do.

Thanks to all for any solution offered to address the situation. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

Try this.

How to delete GRUB files from a Boot EFI partition in Windows 10 ...

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

Thanks Nick! :)

Am on another PC as of the moment, will need to plug it in (have been doing some rearranging) & try that out. Page has been bookmarked for future reference. :thumbup2:

Hopefully it'll do the trick, if so, will add to the solution database here.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users