Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mr Freeze

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 davidsteel1

davidsteel1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:46 AM

Here's hoping some wizard can help..

My sons PC completley freezes when it has been started.

So you can't open any files up or log onto the internet , or basically do anything.

It won't even shut down in the normal way..

I know that there's probably a host of problems with it , but is there anything can i do to begin to find out whats wrong with it, given that it freezes all the time..

Thanks in advance

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 17,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:40 PM

Hi and welcome to Bleeping Computer! My name is Sam and I will be helping you. :thumbsup:
I need to ask some questions to see how we can proceed.

At what point does it freeze?
Do you get to the desktop?
Can you see the taskbar and desktop icons?
Can you bring up the task manager by hitting CTRL ALT DELETE simultaneously on your keyboard?
Posted Image If I have helped you in any way, please consider a donation to help me continue the fight against malware.

Failing to respond back to the person that is giving up their own time to help you not only is insensitive and disrespectful, but it guarantees that you will never receive help from me again. Please thank your helpers and there will always be help here when you need it!

========================================================

#3 davidsteel1

davidsteel1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:28 AM

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your time..

You can get to the task bar but once you try to click into anything it freezes up.

For example i tried to go into uninstall programs and it lets you do that but you can't then uninstall anything..

As for the task manager i'll try that and come back to you..

Sorry about the vagueness..

David

#4 davidsteel1

davidsteel1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:40 AM

HI Sam,

Just to add he can get ot the task manager..

Thanks

David

#5 Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 17,382 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:05 PM

When you open Task Manager, look down at the very bottom. Tell me how many processes are running and what percentage the CPU usage is.

Go to My Computer and right click on Local Disk(C:).
Select Properties -> Tools.
Under Error Checking click on Check Now...
Check both boxes and click Start.
Click Yes at the prompt and reboot your computer.

Let me know if this makes any difference.
Posted Image If I have helped you in any way, please consider a donation to help me continue the fight against malware.

Failing to respond back to the person that is giving up their own time to help you not only is insensitive and disrespectful, but it guarantees that you will never receive help from me again. Please thank your helpers and there will always be help here when you need it!

#6 davidsteel1

davidsteel1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:39 AM

Hi Sam,

IT doen't make any difference, the CPU is quite high upto 40 - 60 sometimes..

I've just discovered that he doesn't have any anti-virus on the machine despite me telling to download Antivir which as you probably know is a free home security software...

So is it conceivable that something has infected his machine..

Hope this information helps..

#7 Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 17,382 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:35 AM

I'd say it's likely that the computer is infected. I'd like to get a look at a detailed log that will give a lot of information and we'll begin.

Please download ComboFix and save it to your desktop.
Double click combofix.exe and follow the prompts.
When it's done running it will produce a log for you. Please post that log in your next reply.

Important Note - Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall.

If you have problems getting the log without the computer freezing up, try running it in safe mode.
  • Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.
  • If you have trouble getting into Safe mode go here for more info.

#8 davidsteel1

davidsteel1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:37 PM

Hi Sam,

Can't connect to the internet , so went through safe mode..

Went through the steps in the instructions for XP but when we restarted (as in fig 6 ) it has frooze..

David

Edited by davidsteel1, 05 September 2006 - 02:43 PM.

#9 Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 17,382 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:21 PM

Can you clarify a few things for me?

Were you able to get Combofix onto to problematic computer? You can always download it with another computer, copy it onto a disc or memory stick, and then move it over.

Is the computer completely frozen at this point? Will it boot at all?

#10 davidsteel1

davidsteel1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:06 AM

HI Sam,

I'm afraid i went in to safe mode and now we can't revert back to normal mode when i'm asked to restart the machine to revert back to normal mode it then freezes so when we turn it of by the button and on again it starts up in safe mode , can the combofix be run in safe mode ?

David

#11 Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 17,382 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:43 PM

Yes, you should be able to run Combofix just fine in Safe mode. Once we get that log I'll be able to see any malware that is causing your problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users