Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot WIndows 10 Desktop Machine - 1 OS will not start or Repair

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gtiracer

gtiracer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

Hi, I'm kind of at the end of my tether having tried various solutions over the web to try and fix this problem. I have 2 x Windows 10 on my PC, 1 OS works and one doesn't.

The failing one will not repair, no restore points, Have tried SFC scannow, CHkdsk, DISM commands and fixmbr, fix boot commands etc.

Nothing seems to work but from my other OS i can still access my files perfectly fine - Answers to the quesitons:

· OS - Windoiws 10 64 bit
· What was original installed OS on system - Windows 7
· Full retail version - Received from University on Microsoft Program (Cannot remember exact name of it now)
· Age of system Approx 5 years
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS - Yes, about 1 year ago ish?

· CPU - i7 980x
· Video Card - 2 x Radeon R290
· MotherBoard - Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
· Power Supply - XFX 1200W

· System Manufacturer - Custom Built Machine

· Laptop or Desktop? - Desktop#

Thank you in advance for any help I receive

Edit - Just to add when the problem first came up, it just came up with a Windows 10 Blue screen saying File missing windows\sdystem32\drivers\EHStoRtCGdRV  with an error code of 0xc0000102 but since trying all said methoids above this screen does not come up anymore. When booting, it just goes into automatic startup repair mode and will always follow with a "Your system cannot be repaired" type box asking me to "Restart" or "Advanced options" - where you get restore, cmd prompt etc - Hope this helps

Edited by gtiracer, 07 March 2017 - 04:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:56 PM

Since this is a dual-boot machine, my best guess is something in the BCD got messed up big time... have you tried this? :)

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 gtiracer

gtiracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:47 AM

Hi thanks for your reply, Yes I have tried it. I tried it again in recovery just for arguments sake to make sure. after restarting it goes straight into automatic repair still and then "Diagnosing Problem" and then "Your pc did not start correctly" and gives the advanced options menu stating that sometimes "Restarting can sometimes fix the problem" - If Only! :)

Edited by gtiracer, 13 March 2017 - 04:47 AM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

Try disabling Driver Signature Enforcement and see whether if it helps. That will not be a permanent fix either. BTW, is your other copy of Windows 10 on a separate drive?

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 gtiracer

gtiracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:29 PM

Apologies to waste your time but I have reformatted as I lost my patience with the machine - Appreciate the time you've given

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:36 PM

No problem at all. :) If that were my own computer, I'd do that as well. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users