Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iPhone SE vs. iPhone 5S

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

Hello,

Is there any difference purely in appearance between the iPhone 5S and the iPhone SE besides the different colouring? Or are they 100% the same on the outside, excluding the different colours?

Thank you :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

Asked and answered with an added model even. Apple iPhone SE vs iPhone 5S vs iPhone 5C: What's the difference?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:23 PM

Asked and answered with an added model even. Apple iPhone SE vs iPhone 5S vs iPhone 5C: What's the difference?

So, apart from colouring, there's no difference. Thanks!
:)

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,833 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:39 PM

Not to mention 3 years between releases. :) March 2016 for the SE vs September 2013 for the 5S

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:51 PM

Not to mention 3 years between releases. :) March 2016 for the SE vs September 2013 for the 5S

Quick off-topic question, if you don't mind:

How many years, do you think, would the hardware last (excluding the battery) on a brand-new iPhone 5S if taken care of properly (relatively regularly cleaned and not getting dropped)? I've noticed that my PC from 2005 is still working like new after almost 12 years now and was thinking of whether or not such a feat could be pulled off by a smartphone, e.g. the iPhone 5S. Obviously the battery would need to be changed after a while and probably the screen would have some pixels go off after ~10 years or so, but would the rest, the SoC for example, theoretically last forever (20-25 years+), provided a moderate cell phone use of about 1.5 hours a day? What do you reckon? I would appreciate your expertise on this brain-teaser.

P.S. I leave out the whole software part of the question aside for the sake of the argument and also assume that service providers will not drop support for 3G & 4G connection in the foreseeable future.

Thanks!

BTW, if the question seems interesting to you as well, feel free to spin it off into its own topic in the applicable sub-forum.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,833 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:45 PM

I don't have any experience with Apple. So I don't feel comfortable theorizing longevity.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

I don't have any experience with Apple. So I don't feel comfortable theorizing longevity.

Thank you for the response! I've made a topic in the 'Cell Phones' forum if you'd like to look at some other input. :)

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:14 PM

Quick off-topic question, if you don't mind:

How many years, do you think, would the hardware last (excluding the battery) on a brand-new iPhone 5S if taken care of properly (relatively regularly cleaned and not getting dropped)? I've noticed that my PC from 2005 is still working like new after almost 12 years now and was thinking of whether or not such a feat could be pulled off by a smartphone, e.g. the iPhone 5S. Obviously the battery would need to be changed after a while and probably the screen would have some pixels go off after ~10 years or so, but would the rest, the SoC for example, theoretically last forever (20-25 years+), provided a moderate cell phone use of about 1.5 hours a day? What do you reckon? I would appreciate your expertise on this brain-teaser.

P.S. I leave out the whole software part of the question aside for the sake of the argument and also assume that service providers will not drop support for 3G & 4G connection in the foreseeable future.

Thanks!

BTW, if the question seems interesting to you as well, feel free to spin it off into its own topic in the applicable sub-forum.

I cannot say how long it will completely last, but my old iPhone 5S is still going strong living its life as a glorified iPod Touch (i.e. cellular turned off and not on an active cell plan). It mostly sits in a dock constantly connected to power with the plan to potentially use it as a remote camera at some point. So, I cannot say how well the battery still works, but since it is a little over 3 years old, it would not be unexpected to need to replace the battery. No dead pixels, etc that I can tell. I have not updated it to the latest iOS either. Obviously, at some point, Apple will not longer support the 5S with new iOS versions.

I can say that a well taken care of iPhone can last for a quite a while. I believe that there are some people who still use an iPhone 3 or 3GS.

As you kind of note, at some point, the issue will be either lack of support from cell companies or lack of an ability to upgrade the OS, which also then means lack of ability to run many/all updated/newer apps. For example, AT&T killed their 2G network as of the beginning of the year, so an original iPhone model will not longer work on AT&T. That is a 10 year time frame from release to essentially no longer functional as a phone (still could be used as an iPod, I supposed). It could be longer or shorter life span for a 5S.

Not sure if that helps or not.

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:24 PM

So, apart from colouring, there's no difference. Thanks!

Actually, if you read the linked article, there are other differences.

For example, the iPhone SE has the A9 processor and M9 motion co-processor and has 2 GB of RAM, while the iPhone 5S has the A7 and M7 and only 1 GB of RAM. This means the SE will be faster/have more power than the 5s. Also, even though they nominally have the same size battery, the SE is more efficient, so that battery will likely last longer.

If you care about being able to use Apple Pay, the SE supports Apple Pay (i.e. has a NFC chip), while the 5S does not (it does still have the TouchID fingerprint sensor that can be used to unlock the iPhone or approve iTunes or App Store purchases).

#10 awesomeoverload

awesomeoverload

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:25 PM

Hello,

Is there any difference purely in appearance between the iPhone 5S and the iPhone SE besides the different colouring? Or are they 100% the same on the outside, excluding the different colours?

Thank you :)

Yes, there are differences, an iPhone SE brings improvements in terms of camera features and performance level.  It is even handy and smaller than 5S

Edited by awesomeoverload, 08 March 2017 - 12:06 AM.

#11 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:38 PM

It is even handy and smaller than 5S

According to that article, the two are exactly the same size and almost exactly the same weight (the SE weighs 1 gram heavier than the 5s).

#12 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:02 AM

Thank you all for the answers and especially to smax13 for the detailed response! :) I was just asking about the appearance of the phone though and its usage as an electronic device, not solely a phone, when it comes to the 2nd part of my question. :D I fully realise that the iPhone SE is a much more advanced piece of technology than the iPhone 5S.
Thank you once more!

Edited by Al1000, 11 April 2017 - 06:04 AM.
removed reference to banned spammer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users