Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One local IP address on network having consistent issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jerrymck

jerrymck

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

This address is in our DHCP scope. It is not being used by any other device, it's ping-able and can ping back out but it can't browse the internet. Like I said, this is the ONLY IP address on the network that does that. It's not reserved on our router and we have tried restarting our network equipment. what do you guys think?

I apologize if this is too vague. I'm not the networking guy here in the office and our actually networking tech is out for the day. It's not an emergency but I just wanted to know what the community thought. 

Craigslist PC Technicians be like "Oh you have a virus? Let me defrag your hard drive and delete unused desktop icons for you. And if you're lucky, I'll even empty your recycling bin! :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:58 PM

Hi Jerry

Could you try the following things on the computer with the issue?

Open cmd prompt. Type: ping 8.8.8.8
Does it get a reply?

If it does, try: ping www.google.com

Does it get a reply now?

If pinging 8.8.8.8 works but pinging www.google.com doesnt the computer has internet connectivity, but the dns isnt working as it should.

If pinging 8.8.8.8 doesnt work either we will have to look into a problem closer to home

Let me know how it goes and we can take it from there

tfn

#3 ItsAllGeekToMe

ItsAllGeekToMe

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

In addition to the above, try doing a trace route to an IP internally and externally.  Assuming it is a Windows machine, you would go to a command prompt and type in tracert 8.8.8.8 for the external IP and then just replace 8.8.8.8 with an IP of another device on your network for the internal side.  It will be interesting to see if/where you get timeouts.

Again, assuming it is Windows, I wonder if there is something setup in the Windows firewall.  Perhaps there is a policy in the site's firewall that is blocking it too?  Just some thoughts.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:30 AM

"it's ping-able and can ping back out"

Then the ip address is a non issue.

Post the results of a ipconfig /all from the problem pc for review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users