Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to transfer pictures to PC from new Galaxy S7?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:44 PM

It seems that I need separate software to see the contents of my new phone.  Why can't I just see the content like I could on a iPhone? I just plug into the USB and open the phone from the This PC window and view the contents as a hard drive.  Why won't the Galaxy let me do that?  Am I missing something here?

I don't want to download more software even if it is free.  If I really need to then I'll give in but thought I'd post here first.  I just got this phone and want to transfer pictures to my laptop but when I open the phone from This PC the window is empty.  When I first plugged it in the PC downloaded some drivers.  Is there a setting on the phone I need to change?  A privacy or sharing setting perhaps? 

Thanks in advance.

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

Yes, there is a setting on the phone you need to change, but I can't recall off the top of my head exactly what it is.

If you have the phone turned on when you plug it in as a USB device you should get a pop-up on the screen asking you whether you want to allow a connection to the PC which you can answer and, I believe, there is a checkbox regarding remembering the answer.

Also have a look at:

http://www.thecellguide.com/samsungs7usbissue.php

https://www.technipages.com/galaxy-s7-how-to-connect-to-pc  (this one mentions the prompt I recall getting)

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/909255  (which is a Verizon specific Q&A that makes reference to the same setting discussed in thecellguide)

What you're experiencing is not limited to the Galaxy S7 but to newer versions of Android.  Once I tweaked the setting to allow the device to act as a media file transfer device (which also allows it to charge) it gets treated as an external drive where the phone's internal memory is one logical drive and the micro SD card another.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 Dacar92

Dacar92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:16 PM

Thanks.  I found the setting several hours ago and got the photos I needed.  But now I cannot find it again.  I turned it off because it would have left my phone open to other devices.  Once I find it again I'll post here because it may help someone else.

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

#4 Luxi_Terna

Luxi_Terna

• Banned Spammer
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:48 PM

Thanks.  I found the setting several hours ago and got the photos I needed.  But now I cannot find it again.  I turned it off because it would have left my phone open to other devices.  Once I find it again I'll post here because it may help someone else.

I just opened the PC as a bluetooth device and used ordinary pic transfer functionality. If it's a desktop, you have to buy a very cheap USB bluetooth adapter

#5 poread

poread

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:29 AM

To transfer pictures to PC from new Galaxy S7, besides bluetooth transfer, we can also use phone manager tool. It helps us import/export data between Samsung and computer via usb cable. There are lots of such tools online we can use, just search the details by yourself. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users