Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I Fry My Computer?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BigHav

BigHav

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:12 AM

Alright, I purchased more ram for my computer... and I put it into the slot... it didn't fit correctly... I booted up my computer just for the hell of it to see if it detected the ram... it didn't.

I turned my computer off and tried to see if I put it in wrong... as I was doing that the fan went on out of nowhere.

So I start the computer (with the memory taken out)

every starts up fine.. the computer sounds fine... but the monitor doesn't work... it stays in sleep mode like it doesnt even detect the pc. I looked at the cords for the monitor.. i tried different monitors... and now my PC has an orange light instead of the yellow/green light when I turn it on.

What could've happened?

If I did fry the computer is it a good chance that I destroyed everything? and how do I know what's damaged? I'm really hoping my hardrive is ok... If the motherboard is damaged I cant buy a brand new computer.. but I really have important files on my hardrive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:24 PM

it didn't fit correctly...

That should have been a big clue that you were doing something wrong.

... as I was doing that the fan went on out of nowhere.

That must mean that you did this procedure with the computer plugged in? A big no-no.

There is a big risk of static shock damaging your computer when you touch anything inside, and my guess, based on what you have said so far, is that you took no precautions against static discharge. It is just a theory, but I am guessing that you have done some damage.

Now, that I am done chastising you :thumbsup: let me say the following:

I just want to speak to getting the data off of the hard drive. You could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you will be able to navigate (Start > My Computer) to the slave drive and recover your data. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE.

But of course, if you need help with this or any other procedure you can just ask for help here and we can explain it in more detail or refer to somewhere on the web where it will be explained more fully.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 BigHav

BigHav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:36 PM

Yeah I think that's what I did.
but I didn;t have the computer on while I was doing this... could I have shocked it when it was off?

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:14 PM

could I have shocked it when it was off?

Yes. It takes surprising little static electricity to fry your computer. In fact the shock can be so small that a human can't feel it.

Some will say it is ok to work on the inside of your computer while it is plugged in, that if you have static electricity it will go up the ground wire if it is plugged in, however some people don't plug theirs into a grounded outlet. Plus, I am telling you that it is far more dangerous for a non-professional to put their hands inside of a computer while it is plugged in.

A anti-static pad could have been used, and a wrist band that connects to the case with an aligator clamp. This is to carry and electrical potential into the ground and not into your motherboard.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:52 PM

What do you mean by

and I put it into the slot... it didn't fit correctly

Is it too long? did it not lock in with the retainer clip?

starting your computer without the RAM will not damage it, it just wont work. I don't know why the computer would have turned on by itself unless you touched something neart the power switch which caused a short.

Either way it happened and now you have to fix it. This time unplug the computer then push the power button to discharge the capacitors. Unless you shorted a circuit when the comp turned on it should be repairable. Since you say that the orange light stays on and the monior never responds it sounds like the computer is failing the POST procedure(Power On System Test). I have had this problem before. My problem was a loose connection after installing a drive. You may have accidentally loosened a connection when you were installing the RAM and hopefully its not more serious.

Try disconnecting everything except the processor, Ram, video and a floppy (if you have one). make sure all connections are secure (I recommend using only the Ram that was working before the problem occured, maybe just one stick to start) and then power it up and see if you get any beeps and images.

A healthy comp usually beeps once when you turn it on (after POST) and then again when the BIOS has loaded and it goes to look for a boot drive. Beep codes vary by BIOS mfgr so check out beep codes and POST info for info specific to your comp.

If you get a screen and you can see the BIOS check it will probably then tell you there is no OS. This is okay, now turn it off and add one component at a time untill you are back to normal or you find the problem part. I would add all the ram first, then HDs then optical and whatever else after that (soundcard, NIC or modem cards etc.)

#6 BigHav

BigHav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:06 PM

Alright well still no luck with the computer... Im pretty sure the motherboard is fried...

I'm gonna have someone check up on it though.

I'm defnitly getting a new computer because I need one anyway... but hopefully I'll be able to "ressurect" the old one.

Is there anything I need to know before I put a new hardrive into my next computer though?

I remember once when I put a slave drive into my old computer my other drive became corrupted and I lost all my files cause I had to reformat the whole thing... how can I avoid this?

thx for all your help and advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users