Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with wifi

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rpbash

rpbash

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

I've had this problem for a couple weeks and it's driving me insane. Every couple of minutes the WiFi will basically just stop working. It says that it is connected and everything is fine but when trying to open a web page or if it is in the middle of opening one up it's like it just stops working. 

I have to go to the list of available connections and disconnect from my WiFi, wait maybe 30 seconds and reconnect.  And then it works for maybe 5 minutes before I have to do it all over again. It's the WiFi inside my house and the main pc runs fine. I forgot to mention that the device i'm having this problem with is an Hp notebook running Win 10. And when I plug the ethernet cable in my notebook it runs just fine and fast.

I've updated all the drivers, re installed windows and updated everything again but still this problem persists. Plus all the anti virus and other kinds of scans that I perform says that my computer is not infected with anything.

Please Help 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

You are not alone. Windows 10 Wifi issues are a know problem and on certain chipsets there are problems. It also seems to rear it's ugly head after a major upgrade. I suggest you try the following in order and proceed to the next if the previous does not work.

Delete your Wifi profile and create a new one

Set your Wifi adapter to maximum power

Disable, not uninstall, your LAN adapter in Device Manager

Disable IPv6

Reset TCP/IP by opening an elevated command prompt. Windows key + X cmd as admin and type

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Download Windows Repair and only check the Network Repair box.

Purchase a Wifi dongle that is known to be Windows 10 compatible such as this one.

Edit: If you are currently using a USB dongle then disable USB selective suspend.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 March 2017 - 01:11 PM.

#3 rpbash

rpbash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

Hey, thanks for the help. When I get a chance to try out the steps you lined out for me I'll let you know how it works out.  

Thanks again.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

John forgot to add one thing regarding the use of the command prompt.  After you have typed in the command (netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt) you need to press Enter to run the command.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users