Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Discussion : Linux Forum...separate areas for for Support and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:43 AM

Goodness me. This thing is gathering a bigger head of steam than the 'Flying Scotsman...'

I wasn't fishing for sympathy last night; I just wanted y'all to know why I was taking the view I have done. I still think it's a storm in a teacup, but I have enough wisdom to know that matters will be decided one way or another, with or without my input.

@Condobloke:-  Sorry for the perhaps offensive nature of some of my comments last night. I hope you didn't take them that way; maybe I should have kept out of things last night. I wasn't in the best frame of mind (not only pessimistic, but fatalistic, too; not a good combination !), and I sometimes let things slip that I greatly regret afterwards. 

No hard feelings, I hope?  :blush:

@Cat:- 

To sum things up, are we going to continue to be a sideshow for a (now) larger Windows Forum, or are we going to compete for the #1 position?  :)

I don't quite follow you. What #1 position? The majority of desktop users still run Windows (of whatever flavour, for the simple reason its already there), and, although there are 100's of Linux distros, we're still only talking about a low percentage of the total desktop userbase. And as has been stated on many occasions, at the time when Lawrence started BC, computing basically meant using Windows. Linux usage was virtually negligible.....perhaps a tiny fraction of 1 %.

I rather feel BC will remain an essentially 'Windows' forum for the forseeable future. Admittedly, I still maintain that a far greater percentage of the smaller number of Linux users are rather more articulate, erudite, and somewhat more intelligent into the bargain.....

Thank you all for the wishes of speedy recovery. They are appreciated. Very much.

Time I gracefully bowed out, I think. For the time being.....and before I go and put my foot down my throat again..!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 06 March 2017 - 09:03 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 735 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:02 AM

or are we going to compete for the #1 position?

I wasn't aware that any of the forums here at BC were in competition with one another. I've always believed that we help people because ...

• They need help
  • We can usually help them find it

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:07 AM

or are we going to compete for the #1 position?

I wasn't aware that any of the forums here at BC were in competition with one another. I've always believed that we help people because ...

• They need help
  • We can usually help them find it

^^^ +1!!  :thumbup2:

Makes sense to me.....

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:06 AM

There seems to be a lack of realization of what Gary R put so succinctly coupled with the idea (I'd say long term fantasy) that Linux is sitting there on the cusp of "taking over the world."

Ain't gonna happen due to a confluence of factors, though it's making tremendous inroads "behind the scenes" with the IT crowd, not the end-user crowd, and not in competition with what seems to be the perpetual "enemy:"  Windows.  Even with the inroads it's made and making the uses where it's been adopted most are very specific niches that don't translate to competing with Windows in any meaningful sense because Windows would not have been used in most of those situations anyway.

I'll be long dead (and I'm in my mid-50s) before the embedded base for Windows will be eclipsed absent some completely unforeseen advance in techology.

Linux is not, contrary to the opinion of some, an object to be worshiped.   It's just one operating system - one that some really, really adore to an extent that amounts to sycophancy. 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,658 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:51 AM

If any OS is going to take over the world, it would be Android if you consider the number of devices with an OS.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/265878/global-shipments-of-pcs-tablets-ultra-mobiles-mobile-phones/

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

separtate areas for Support and Discussion

I wish someone could fix the spelling of "separate" both here and at the original Topic, it is driving me crazy (oops, too late) ...I thought Nick was going to attend to it?

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

Wizard,

I am pleased to learn that it was/is not only me that's almost ready to rend my garments over having to see "separtate" not only on the original thread, but on this one, too!  (I met the crazy criterion decades ago).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,416 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:06 PM

I wish someone could fix the spelling of "separate" both here and at the original Topic, it is driving me crazy (oops, too late)

Instead of complaining about it in the forum please press the report button and report it.

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:25 PM

@Nick:-

Actually, I'll be honest.....I don't know what happened here. The forum software has been 'playing-up' for me this last couple of days. I'll go to submit a post, I get the little green box thingie at the top of the screen, but the edit screen remains. I'll click on it a second time, and it suddenly does what it should do.....but I end up with a dual post, repeated one below the other!

On this occasion, it became rather unresponsive; I remember I clicked several times to clear the edit screen, and the next thing I knew, upon reviewing what I'd posted, I realised it had suddenly spawned a completely new thread.....and cut Brian's thread off in the process.  :blush:

Very, very odd. I've never had anything like that happen before. I guess I'll add it to the catalogue of weird forum happenings I've experienced over the years.  :rolleyes:

We expect stuff like that from John Murga's ancient phpBB software in use over at the Puppy Forum, because it's a heavily-patched and massively modified setup from around 2005.....yet despite the fact that John is very loathe to set it all up again, it's actually remarkably stable, for all that..!

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:45 PM

Instead of complaining about it in the forum please press the report button and report it.

Note, in the Report window:

This form is to be used ONLY for reporting objectionable content and is not to be used as a method of communicating with moderators for other reasons.

Maybe someone needs to fix that too?

BTW followed your directions in both Topics, Nick. Thanks

Edited by wizardfromoz, 06 March 2017 - 07:46 PM.

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:14 PM

OK, now shut up complaining - the spelling has been fixed !   Spare me from the Spelling Police !

I have to agree with Brian when he says that Linux is not an object of veneration. It isn't, it is a damn good OS for many purposes but it is almost certainly never going to replace Windows on PCs etc. unless MS really screw the coop. He is also right when he says there is an element of 'fanboyism' about Linux.

Having said that, I will add my tuppence worth to this discussion. I think a 'Discussion' sub-section would make a great deal of sense. Support should be for support, ie solving people's problems. Discussion about for example trends, products, and future policy directions should be separated from support otherwise it is liable to confuse our users totally.

As an example, 'How do I turn on the firewall ?' is a question with a simple answer. It does not need to involve a discussion of the risks of penetration in a Linux system, or the need or not of security software, or of future trends in malware.

But, please spare me from the spelling police !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away on holiday until the 13th May. While I expect to have internet access my time on-line may well be limited and PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal.

#12 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:14 PM

Thanks Chris :blush:  :whistle: 

FOR DISCUSSION?

I have been scouring BC and found no evidence to say yes or no to the following question:

Is there something to be said for having Condobloke's Poll Pinned on our front page?

Members whom spend some time here, and those whom are either currently involved in another Linux Forum, or have left same for here, might be able to make an educated vote.

Further, now that Al1000 has carved off this Topic for Discussion, the other one has a link to this, in other words, they might go to one place or the other, then go back and vote.

A benefit to Staff would be that they would have a current barometer of the Membership's support, or otherwise, for what Brian (Condobloke) has proposed.

What think you all?

Spelling Police Academy Alumni, Retired

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,416 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:23 PM

I cant see the point of discussing it any further to be honest the answer is NO to the sub-forum and that wont change for the time being, maybe you can re apply in 6 months.

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:35 PM

... and that lends credence to pinning the Poll?

In 6 months time we may have dozens, even hundreds, of votes that will provide a clearer picture to staff.

#15 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,212 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:07 AM

The other topic is for discussing how the forums would be split, and how the split forums would be run. Please feel free to discuss this matter in the other topic.

This topic is for all other discussions stemming from the other topic, e.g. is this matter important or not; will Linux overtake Windows, etc.

A couple of points regarding the poll:

1) Most members who voted did so soon after the topic was posted, and very few have voted since, so it's highly unlikely that many more will vote in the near future.

2) Eleven members voting for something, doesn't mean eleven members have considered the practicalities of what they are voting for. It's all very well proposing things in theory, but quite another putting them into practice. This is why I am attempting to have a constructive discussion in the other topic, using real i.e. existing topics as examples.

If members want to split the forum, then please tell us (in the other topic)how you think the split forum should be run. Use existing topics as examples, and explain why you think they would be better off in a Support or Discussion sub-forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users