Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to stop Onedrive pop ups windows 10 when I launch file explorer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Compuwear

Compuwear

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

An ad for using OneDrive pops up when I initiate File Explorer.

These built in ads on Windows 10 are irritating.

Edit: Moved topic from discussion to support. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:18 AM

I get the very, very occasional ad in Windows 10, but not this specific one.

Have you gone through your Privacy settings?  If not, you should and definitely turn off the Advertising ID setting which shows up as the very first item on the very first page.

Have you checked what's set in your Settings->System->Storage Pane as far as default save locations?  These should all be set to the hard drive location of your choice.  If One Drive is referred to anywhere then nuke it for a local hard drive.

Have you turned off One Drive?

Since these ads self-dismiss in a matter of moments they don't bother me all that much on the rare occasions they do occur but you can definitely take steps to minimize their occurrence in the first place.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:28 AM

You can turn off tips and tricks invoked ads by the following.

Go to Settings > System > Notifications & Actions. Then disable the “Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows” option.

If memory serves me, it is either the 5th or 6th setting down the list. You might need to scroll.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,800 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

Animal,

Thanks for that one.   I've reviewed Windows 10 settings many times, but like Windows has always been, there are just too darned many that are interrelated in complex ways to keep track of them all.

I still had this one turned on and it's now turned off.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:03 PM

@britechguy

You're quite welcome. I'm still finding 'hidden' ones when I trigger one here and there. But I think I got most of the ad related stuff turned off. I'm reluctant to say all....Thats just tempting fate to bite me. :)

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Compuwear

Compuwear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:03 PM

Thanks all,

But I have "Get tips, Tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows off"

I do not use "One drive" which may explain why they prompt me for it (no snarky intent.)

It's advertising. comes at the top of the pane of Files Explorer every so often.  So not as irritating as the "Edge is better than Chrome" promotions I finally turned off.

Animal I will put further questions in the Questions section

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,800 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

Compuwear,

Would you mind sharing how you turned off the "Edge is better than Chrome" promotion?

This is one I still get occasionally and I use Chrome and Firefox almost exclusively with Edge as a distant third backup and IE11 as an even more distant 4th.

~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users