Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Better bang for buck? (3 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one?

1. Dell (3 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Acer (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 eburgess

eburgess

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:38 AM

1.  Hey guys my name is eric and I am just trying to get back into computers. I haven't built a pc for maybe 2-3 years and I feel I have yet again lost touch with what is good now a days. Basically I have googled a lot and tried like 3-4 websites for computers and I think I have come to a point to two lap tops I think would be fine for me.

Both I can get on amazon:
    Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG 15.6-Inch Full HD Laptop (Intel Core i5, NVIDIA 940MX, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, Windows 10) for 550 plus tax.

Now I am not a acer fan but this computer has a lot of reviews and averages 4 stars on amazon so I figure its not too shabby. It has a bit of a slower graphics card with only ddr4 2 gb memory but it has the 256 ssd. The other draw back is its only a i5 which only has 2 cores 4 threads if my research is right. I think this price is decent for what it offers but I also have this dell I think I really like.

Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK 15.6 Inch FHD Laptop (6th Generation Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD + 8 GB SSD) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M for 800 + tax

It has a better graphics card and seems to have a much faster cpu and offers 4 gb of ddr5 dedicated memory. The i7 offers 4 cores 8 threads but I don't know if I like the 8gb + 1 tb hdd combo. I am not sure how that really works but I could always just upgrade. This laptop is 250 dollars more but is it worth the 250? I want to obviously maybe invest more to be more up to date so the laptop would 'last' longer as far as computer upgrades go.

Please tell me what you guys think. I really am tired of having my desktop as it is really not accomidating anymore.
    Thanks in advance
    Eric 

Mod Edit:  Moved from Building/Upgrading to Buying New - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 06 March 2017 - 04:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

What are you going to be doing with the Laptop? Some prime questions to ask are:

1) Will you fully take advantage of the portability or will it sit in your room, never moving at all?

2) What do you want to do with these systems?

#3 eburgess

eburgess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:20 PM

I will be definitely bringing the computer around especially to work and school.  As far as gaming I will be playing CS GO for sure.    IF the DELL is worth the extra 250.. then Ill do it.  I just don't know if sacrificing a 256gb ssd for a 1 tb with 8gb ssd flash, the extra 2 cores, and the extra 2 gb or GDDR for the graphics card are worth that extra 250.  Plus I am also weighing in battery life too.  I don't think I will go more than 3-4 hours without a charger anyway.  But just to be safe.

Edited by eburgess, 06 March 2017 - 12:22 PM.

#4 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:25 PM

The cheaper one looks to be better suited for your needs. CS:GO is not a very demanding game so it doesn't need the most powerful graphics card. It can even run pretty well on integrated graphics. The 256GB SSD looks like a much better choice as I'm not sure what anyone would use 8GB for.

#5 eburgess

eburgess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

I agree big time.  Just curious though.  Is it worth investing in the DELL for like a longer term lap top so I don't have to worry as soon to get an upgradE?

#6 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:26 PM

I agree big time.  Just curious though.  Is it worth investing in the DELL for like a longer term lap top so I don't have to worry as soon to get an upgradE?

In terms of gaming, probably. If you want to play any other games then I'd recommend the Dell one as the GPU is significantly faster. You won't be looking to install any big programs in the SSD however.

#7 eburgess

eburgess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:45 PM

I actually may have found something much better for the price.  I am also partial to ASUS over most laptops.   This one is about the same if not better than the DELL right? Quad core with 512 SSD and the GTX 960.  and it comes with 8gb of ddr4.  

ASUS ZX53VW 15.6" Gaming Laptop, NVIDIA, GTX 960M 4GB, FHD, Intel Core i5-6300HQ, 8GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, Backlit keyboard, Microsoft signature image, Anti-Glare Matte Display.

#8 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:53 PM

I actually may have found something much better for the price.  I am also partial to ASUS over most laptops.   This one is about the same if not better than the DELL right? Quad core with 512 SSD and the GTX 960.  and it comes with 8gb of ddr4.  

ASUS ZX53VW 15.6" Gaming Laptop, NVIDIA, GTX 960M 4GB, FHD, Intel Core i5-6300HQ, 8GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, Backlit keyboard, Microsoft signature image, Anti-Glare Matte Display.

Yes, that is a good one. All the laptops do have 8GB RAM though, you were just reading the GPU RAM which is different

#9 eburgess

eburgess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

The DELL has 8 DDR3 ram.  THats the only difference I see.  The ASUS states it has DDR4.  I think I am going to buy this one.  Thank you very much for the help.

#10 alexoler

alexoler

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:05 AM

If i was you i would go with the dell even though you pay  a bit more you get that back on perfomance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users