Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failing hard disk, unable to create backup images.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cantdeal

Cantdeal

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:52 AM

Hi.

So I've been through hoops with this for the past week and I'm afraid I'm running out of time.

Specs as follows :
Acer aspire 4738G (7years old)
2Gb ddr3 pre-installed + 2gb added a few months after purchase.
CPU:i5-480M @2.6Ghz
500gb HDD
GPU:AMD radeon 6370M (512mb)

I have 4 partitions c/d/e/f

Received the windows warning just over a week ago, immediately put in an order for a new HDD. Started backup process to 1TB external. Windows imaging software failed every attempt, so I downloaded macrium free.
After resolving every single error (1117/2/file not found/you name it) and finally managed to run a successful chkdsk on E: and create an image of it. It's been a few days since that small victory, my system folders are on C and every chkdsk I run (for C D or F) leads to a BSoD (kernel inpage /others) and restarts. I don't have a backup boot disk for Windows and definitely not the cash for a new windows OS disk. Therefore I need to save my C partition at all costs.

I have literally Googled the crap out of this issue, and it seems to cross the line of being a mixed software and hardware problem. I even tried different backup software (easeUS). I've done all prescribed (disk cleanup, safe mode, chkdsk,set vss to automatic, etc).

Please help me, I'm losing my mind and patience trying to solve this.

Tl ;dr. My hdd is failing, I need to back it up but can't due to a slew of errors and bsods

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 anorkneemerse

anorkneemerse

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:31 AM

@ Cantdeal, .......

I don't have a backup boot disk for Windows

Seems like the end of the road for yr HDD. If u cannot recover the failing HDD, u will need to enlist another working Windows cptr(eg from a relative or friend) to create a Win 7 Install/Boot DVD by downloading the iso file and burning it onto a DVD+R, eg with the Imgburn software. Try this website or googling for other available download website, ...

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

P S - To download the Win 7 iso direct from M$ website requires a Retail license Product Key. An OEM PK won't work. The above website likely does not require any PK to do the download.

P S 2 - From my experience, during the Win 7 install with the Internet connected, the PK has to be immediately entered = should be auto-activated by M$ after the install. If the PK is to be entered after the install, the Internet should not be connected.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

And I know you don't need to hear this, but in the future you might want to consider creating images on a regular bases ---- BEFORE there's a problem ;)

#4 anorkneemerse

anorkneemerse

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

@ Cantdeal, .......

I hv just went to MS website and was able to use my OEM Win 7 SP1 Product Key to download my Win 7 SP1 iso.

....... Maybe, it's bc I bought my OEM Win 7 SP1 cptr in 2013, ie after the OEMs stopped providing free Win 7/8/8.1 Install DVDs to customers in 2012. So, you should also give MS website a try, ie to download your Win 7 iso.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

@anorkneemerse #2 and #4

Please do not use abbreviations such as 'hv', 'bc' and 'cptr' in your posts. Many of our members do not have English as their first language, some don't speak English at all and rely on translation software. Abbreviations like these cause problems for translation software and those who do not speak English well. From the Forum rules -

When posting, please use proper grammar. Refrain from 'text-message' style substitutions of words like 'u' for 'you', and 'ur' for 'your'. This is a multi-national forum, and some of our non-english speaking members must use translation software which is confused by abbreviations. Most of our volunteer members are very busy helping as many people as they can, and a post that is hard to read will often be overlooked.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:48 PM

@anorkneemerse #2 and #4

Please do not use abbreviations such as 'hv', 'bc' and 'cptr' in your posts. Many of our members do not have English as their first language, some don't speak English at all and rely on translation software. Abbreviations like these cause problems for translation software and those who do not speak English well. From the Forum rules -

When posting, please use proper grammar. Refrain from 'text-message' style substitutions of words like 'u' for 'you', and 'ur' for 'your'. This is a multi-national forum, and some of our non-english speaking members must use translation software which is confused by abbreviations. Most of our volunteer members are very busy helping as many people as they can, and a post that is hard to read will often be overlooked.

Chris Cosgrove

I have a degree in English and half the time I can't understand the abbreviations :)

#7 Cantdeal

Cantdeal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone! Love this community even just for the lols.

I managed to back up C!

Safe mode was bugging out because of an AVG component, so I uninstalled AVG and voila I could use safe mode properly.

Did the Reflect (macrium) in safe mode as it bypasses VSS and uses pssnap.sys instead. Took a fair amount of time, about 2 hours, but in the end I have an image of my system drive. Beers all round

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

FWIW:  I would not assume that the "image" is readable.  I would check it out right away before I considered my actions a success.  The ability to clone or backup a failing drive...may result in nothing but an image that is not serviceable as a backup.

Louis

#9 Cantdeal

Cantdeal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

FWIW:  I would not assume that the "image" is readable.  I would check it out right away before I considered my actions a success.  The ability to clone or backup a failing drive...may result in nothing but an image that is not serviceable as a backup.

Louis

Excellent point, how would I check if the image is good to go?

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

Acronis True Image has a "verify image" option. I'm guessing Macrium Reflect does too.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:26 PM

You have to see it can be successfully restored.  The only true test for something like this...is whether things happen as you think they should, much like troubleshooting a given hardware component.

I've used Macrium to make images/backups of drives which were failing...and the results were a backup or image which reflected the same problems seen on the drive from which the image/backup was made.  Garbage in, garbage out.  File corruption, as a result of the drive problems, won't be corrected by cloning or backing up.

The time to make a backup or clone...had passed since such are expected to be made when the system is in a untroubled state.  It doesn't hurt to try such on a troubled system but I would not expect success.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 March 2017 - 06:30 PM.

#12 anorkneemerse

anorkneemerse

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:18 PM

@ Cantdeal,

As pointed out, your System Image may be corrupted with file errors because of the failing hard disk. System Images should be created for a well-running system and not for a failing system, esp soon after purchase of a computer.

....... It may be a good idea for you to create a Win 7 Install DVD+R or USB-stick with the help of another working computer that is not experiencing a failing hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users