Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anxious to Install Windows In Another Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 IvanMilan

IvanMilan

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:49 AM

Good evening, 

so this is my issue. I have two PCs. One PC of mine is completely setup, and is running on Windows 10 (I'm pretty sure it's an OEM). Now, we all know that when we install an OEM, it is "tattooed" to that PC alone. I've even read somewhere that the OEM is gonna be "fixed" to the motherboard. 

Now, my 2nd PC is a new one and it's HDD still doesn't have an OS. Don't ask me why, but I cannot install my Windows 7 disk to the HDD on that PC. So here's what I'm planning to do. Take out the BLANK HDD from the second PC and put it in the first one, and then install the Windows 7 from there. --- That's the part i'm anxious in. Will I be able to use the motherboard (that is sort of manipulated by the Windows 10 OEM) to install Windows 7 to that blank HDD? Or will the motherboard conflict with the Windows 7 CD/Installation since it's already influenced by the OEM thingy...

I'm just paranoid, and i'm having a hard time explaining my issue. Hope someone understands and helps me. Thank you! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:45 AM

You cannot install Windows on a hd in one system, move the hd to a 2nd system and expect the 2nd system to boot. Window install is tied to the hw in the original system. And aside from that, it violates Microsoft's EULA.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:08 AM

What Allan has posted is correct, but there is a way that you can generalize the operating system which will make it possible to move the ssd/hdd to another computer or install it with another motherboard. 

If you run sysprep on the HHD/SSD with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 before using it with another motherboard you should be be able to boot from it without any complications. You want to remove all hardware identifiers from the HDD/SSD to generalizes the drive.

Press the windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

Select Command Prompt (Admin.) from the menu.  This will open the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown in the Command Prompt.

Once you have completed this shut down the computer and do not power the drive back on until it has been installed with the different motherboard.

Note: You'll want to install the new motherboard chipset drivers for the new motherboard after moving the drive.

Edited by dc3, 06 March 2017 - 09:11 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:37 AM

dc3's method generally works (though I'm not quite sure why he's referring to an ssd and Windows 8.1 - probably a cut and paste oversight :) ). Please note you will likely have to reactivate Windows 7.

I am curious, by the way, what happens when you try to install W7 directly on the new machine and why you need this work around.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

@Allan

The tutorial is aimed at both Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10, it is also aimed at either a hdd or a ssd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

okay, thanks dc3. I'll have to go through some of the canned speeches to see what I've missed the last few years :)

Edited by Allan, 06 March 2017 - 09:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users