Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB 3.1,3.0,2.0 Question?.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:32 PM

I upgraded my PC last week and it all went very well and everything is working as it should but I have a problem understanding the USB port connections. On the motherboard outlet panel on the back of the PC there are several USB 3.1, 3.0 and 2.0 ports. When I was connecting all the cables and plugs etc to the mother board  I had a plug that went to the the USB 2.0 internal motherboard connector the other end of which goes to two extra USB ports a headphone and microphone jack panel on the front of my PC. When reconnecting my external devices to the motherboard back panel I was unsure which ports to use so as all of them have USB 2.0 plugs I used them. This means the USB 3.0 and 3.1 connections are unused at present. Can someone explain to me what I plug into these, if I plug in the present USB 2.0 peripherals like the keyboard, printer etc to them will they work better or not all?.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:25 AM

USB2 (or lower) peripherals will not work better/faster if plugged into USB3 ports - so unless you have insufficient USB2 ports for your requirements you should reserve the faster USB3 ports for future USB3 peripherals.,

Edited by rqt, 06 March 2017 - 03:25 AM.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:37 AM

OK. got it. What would I need to add to a USB3.0,3.1 port if say for example I wanted to send a download to a memory stick. At present I just use the USB 2.0 ports on the front of my PC but USB 3 would probably be much faster?. Is there an adapter of sorts to use and what would it be called?.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:46 AM

A USB 2 peripheral will not work better or faster when plugged into a USB3 port - even if it is a memory stick or external hard drive or even external SSD drive. Rear mounted USB2 ports might be slightly faster than front mounted USB2 ports because of reduced cabling.

If you want USB3 transfer speeds you need USB3 peripherals plugged into USB3 ports - in which case adaptors should nor be required..

If your motherboard has available USB3 headers you can generally mount additional USB3 ports on the front of the computer case using drive bay type mountings (case design permitting).

Edited by rqt, 06 March 2017 - 03:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users