Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cannot restore emails to the original Inbox folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:44 PM

Hi,

I recently deleted (accidentally) all of the emails in my wife's Inbox in Windows Live Mail. I also emptied her Deleted Items folder so now some important emails that she was keeping in the Inbox are gone.

With some assistance on this forum, I was able to locate the Inbox folder for her Windows Live Mail account, and since I did a full backup a week ago, I figured it would be easy to simply restore the Inbox from last week.

I plugged in the backup drive, went to Backup and Restore in Control Panel and selected Restore My Files. I was able to navigate to the Windows Live Mail Inbox on the backup drive and I selected it and clicked Restore. A window opened stating that the restore was complete, but there was also a pointer to a log file. I opened the log file and saw that the restore operation had "skipped" restoring all of the email files in the Inbox.

I've restored data files before without any difficulty, so I must be doing something wrong in this case. Can anyone shed some light on why I couldn't restore the email files to the Inbox folder?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 07 March 2017 - 08:14 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:18 AM

Email clients all have their own unique backup/restore procedures.  Using Windows functions to attempt such will not be of any value.

Worth A Look.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 March 2017 - 09:20 AM.

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:22 PM

Okay, here is how I solved the problem. I found the email files on the Backup drive using Windows Restore. This time, instead of trying to restore them to the original location, I decided to restore them to a new folder. That operation worked successfully. Then I just copied the restored email files to the Inbox folder in Windows Live Mail and VOILA they were all there again.

The only problem is that when I did the backup, my wife had 1400 emails in her Inbox. (She hadn't checked it in quite a while) So now she'll have to sort through and get rid of the ones that she doesn't need. Then I'm going to show her how to create Storage folders in Live Mail so that she can keep the important stuff out of the Inbox.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:15 PM

Glad you resolved it, thanks for the feedback.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users