Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Options for upgrading from R9-270x & FX-8320?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Barginski

Barginski

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:19 PM

Hello all,

With a couple of upcoming games in mind, I am thinking of upgrading my current gaming system. It is about 3 years old at this point. I am not having any problems with it, but some of the more taxing games I play are dragging my FPS down to 15-20 at times on high settings.

I would like to be able to run my games on fairly high settings and maintain FPS that go no lower than about 30.

My current specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

AMD FX-8320 processor

AMD R9-270x video card

8 GB RAM

1 TB HDD

232 GB SSD (on which OS is loaded)

Asus M5a99x motherboard

750 w. PSU

One game I am looking at has the following RECOMMENDED specs listed...

i7 4790 cpu @ 3.6 GHz

GeForce GTX 970 video card

8 GB RAM

Does anybody have any suggestions as to upgrades I could make to bring my current system as close to the above specs as possible? I would like to stick with AMD/Athlon components.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

Budget? I expect that video card is bottleneck there or you're using too high settings.

AMD RX470 is bit faster/slower/equal compared to GTX970. So I suggest getting first RX470 4GB card and see if that helps enough.

#3 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:50 PM

The new just released Ryzen cpus would be the only real upgrade worth doing and I am not sure you would see the value with the prices for the cpu, boards and memory as you are looking at Ddr4 memory and the costs in my opinion won't give you that much increase except in prices. If you want to stay AMD then double the ram and maybe purchase a good Psu (I am assuming yours is not good because you didn't give it a brand) and you could up your video card and see a difference as well without spending megabucks.

#4 Barginski

Barginski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

PSU is Corsair, neglected to mention that. As far as a budget is concerned, I'd prefer to spend no more than $300-$400 or so. Much more than that and I may feel inclined to get a new system altogether.

#5 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

I agree with you and the Ryzen cpus out now would be minimum $329 alone and I doubt you would see that much difference.

#6 Barginski

Barginski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

So CPU aside, while doing some searching, I found the RX 470 and the 4GB variant of the RX 480 which is about $50-$75 more expensive than the 470. So if I upgrade to either of those, keeping the current CPU, do you think bottlenecking would be a problem with it?

#7 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

Bottlenecking is a relative term depending on the GPU/CPU. Answer is yes a bit of bottlenecking when compared to some other CPU's but nothing major, the RX 470 will FX 8320/8350 is actually a good fit. You can still move it over to a new rig later on down the line. I would say RX 470 for 1080p Ultra, 1440p medium. RX 480 for 1080p Ultra, 1440p high (not ultra).

#8 Barginski

Barginski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

I think I have settled on the RX 480. I'm also planning to add 8 GB of RAM to up the total to 16. I do have a couple of questions though.

-What difference would I likely notice performance-wise between the 4 and 8 GB v-Ram versions? I'm seeing that there is a $10 difference in price, and I'm not sure which one I should consider.

-I hadn't considered overclocking the CPU. I've read that the 8320 can be overclocked to 4 GHz. Right now mine is sitting at the default 3.5 GHz. Would I have to worry about any danger of overheating with the stock CPU fan, and would overclocking likely yield any significant performance increases?

One game I am planning on purchasing (Train Sim World)  is supposedly very CPU-intensive because of the physics engine. Benchmarks I looked at put the 8350 @ 4 GHz right between the 8320 and the recommended i7 4790.

Thanks!

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:19 PM

- With only $10 difference, I would take 8GB version.

- I highly recommend something better than stock fan.

#10 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

Yes by all means go with 8 Gb ram, you will see a big difference. I would not suggest overclocking with standard hsf more than 2 clicks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users