Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't find the Windows Live Mail mail folder

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

Hi,

We use Windows Live Mail for the email client on our computer. Yesterday, while trying to clean up the Inbox on my wife's sign-on, I mistakenly deleted all of the emails in her Inbox. Turns out that she had a number of emails that contained important information in the Inbox, and those were deleted with the rest. I also did her a "favor" and cleaned out her Deleted Items folder as well. So the important emails that she wanted are goners.

I did a complete backup of the hard drive in the computer last week, so it should be possible to restore the contents of the Inbox to where it was last week which should get her important emails back again.

The problem is, I don't know what the file name is that contains the email data. I looked in the Windows Mail and Windows Live folders In both Program Files and Program Files (X86) and I cannot find ANY files that have today's date on them. I should have found something with today's date, since she has new emails in her Inbox. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 05 March 2017 - 03:56 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

Windows Live Mail Support Ends Jan-17 – Ask Juan Networks

See if the info in link below helps.

Windows Live Mail stores your messages, but where? Here's how to find them | PCWorld

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

buddy,

Thanks for your help.

I used the link above to find the location of the Inbox folder. Unfortunately, when I tried to do a "Restore to Original Location" operation, the restore failed. The log file showed that it "skipped" all of the files.

Since this is now a different topic, I will start a new thread in the Windows 7 forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users