Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer considerations / recommendations

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

I need to replace the printers in my home office. I currently have an HP 5000 LaserJet and an Epson WorkForce 845 color inkjet.

I've had the HP for over 15 years and I love it. The manual feed tray and the straight-thru paper path is fabulous for forms and labels. But it is not wireless and the LAN card failed. The tech I talked to said a new LAN card would be almost as much as a new printer. So now it can only be connected via parallel cable to one PC. And it's 15 years old.

The Epson is OK, but the paper feed is unreliable and the forms handling is mediocre. It is a multi-function device with copier, scanner, and fax. The copied and scanner function are just OK and, again, the paper handling is mediocre at best.

So, a couple of questions:

1. If price is not a major consideration, what's the best printer I can get for a home office?
  2. Should I get a laser printer or inkjet or both? I mostly print documents. I don't print photos much anymore because online photo processing outfits like ShutterFly are so cheap and quick.
  3. How does the printing cost for a color laser printer compare with a B&W printer when printing B&W documents?
  4. I'd really like a better scanner. Should I get a dedicated scanner or is there a multi-function unit (scanner, copier, fax) that actually works well?

Any other considerations that I should be aware of?

PS: I don't need super high volume. I probably print about 10-100 pages a day.

Edited by Cynthia Moore, 05 March 2017 - 01:54 PM.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

Opinions only, no recommendation.  I don't tell other people how to spend their money :).

I prefer separates for functionality.  I would rather lose a printer OR a scanner for whatever reason...than lose both because I am counting on one device to do both.

Monochrome laser is the way that I have gone for the past 5 years or so...when it became obvious that, for what I do, a mono laser printer would be a great improvement over any number of inkjets.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

HP prices for new LAN cards are ridiculous. You may be able to find a used or refurbished on Ebay. Just be sure the model number match.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-JetDirect-600N-J3113A-Network-Card-HP-LaserJet-2300-4000-4050-4100-5000-8000-/112302908077

And another.

#4 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

Opinions only, no recommendation.  I don't tell other people how to spend their money :).

Not even if I ask? ;)

I prefer separates for functionality.  I would rather lose a printer OR a scanner for whatever reason...than lose both because I am counting on one device to do both.

That makes sense.

Monochrome laser is the way that I have gone for the past 5 years or so...when it became obvious that, for what I do, a mono laser printer would be a great improvement over any number of inkjets.

I basically agree and I could go that way. But there days, color is becoming more and more common and important. Some of the documents I prepare require a redline copy showing the changes from the previous draft. Word's compare facility highlights the changes in color. It is much easier to read if printed in color. Also, I occasionally need to include a graphic and color is a big help there.

So I'm probably going to go with a color printer of some kind. I have that now with the Epson, but it's not a high quality device. My question was whether to go with a color laser or a B&W laser and a color inkjet?

I assume that printing in B&W on a color laser is about the same cost per page as printing that same page on a B&W laser printer. Right?

#5 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:20 PM

HP prices for new LAN cards are ridiculous. You may be able to find a used or refurbished on Ebay. Just be sure the model number match.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-JetDirect-600N-J3113A-Network-Card-HP-LaserJet-2300-4000-4050-4100-5000-8000-/112302908077

And another.

Thanks, but I've pretty much decided against fixing the printer. It is showing some wear in other areas and even if I fix the LAN card, it is still not wireless.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

If you do a lot of printing then I would go with a laser. If you only do a moderate amount of color printing get a monochrome laser and use an inkjet for printing color but if you intend to purchase a new inkjet then I would only purchase a new color laser.

A color laser printer has 4 toner cartridges. Blank, Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow. In addition to the toner cartridges there is a image drum that needs to be replaced but if you mainly print black and white it be many pages before you need a replacement.

As far as which manufacturer is the best  I can't provide that info. Somebody with color laserjet experience would have to answer. 

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

I'm not a fan of ink printers.  I've been on the color laser for about 10 years and I'm on my second.  As far as I know the first one still works, but I got a good deal on an all-in-one color laser.

I used to be like hamluis, separate machine for each function, however unless you use each machine frequently it turns out to be a waste of money.  Nothing like having your $300 scanner become worthless with an OS upgrade.

You can pick up an all-in-one color laser printer for $250 on up.  You can pick up a mono for about half that.

Printing 10-100 pages a day would make a laser printer a better investment.  While a toner cartridge might cost four times as much as ink it will last 10 times longer.  An $80 toner cartridge is good for 4,000 pages.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

If you are looking for brand recommendations then I suggest you look at either HP or Canon. With the waiver that I have never owned a laser printer, the build and print quality of the one HP printer we owned was excellent. It did a superb job of B&W  and colour printing, we just couldn't afford to keep it in ink. This would be less of a factor with a laser printer. Since then we have owned, with one exception, various Canon models. The build quality of these has been generally good as has their reliability. Their printing is good, almost as good as the HP, and their ink works out quite a bit cheaper.

Certainly with 15 years service out of your HP that should be a pretty good recommendation in itself, it definitely didn't owe you anything after that.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users