Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on Windows 10 laptop

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 brgillis

brgillis

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:13 PM

Hi all,

I've been having BSODs recently on my laptop. It started a couple weeks ago after changing to a new antivirus (Avira). Uninstalling it didn't help, but after reinstalling windows and then not installing Avira, the BSODs stopped until today (I first tried just reinstalling Windows, but they still came back; it wasn't until after I reinstalled Windows but not Avira that I got a reprieve). I've gotten three BSODs in the last hour now, with the stop code "critical_process_died".

· OS - Windows 10
· x64
· Windows 8.1 (originally upgraded, but since reinstalled Windows 10 a few times in attempts to fix this)
· OEM version
· Age of system (hardware): Approx 2 years old
· Age of OS installation - Most recently reinstalled approx 1 week ago

· CPU - Intel Core i7 4710MQ
· Video Card - GeForce GTX 850M

· System Manufacturer - MSI
· Exact model number - MS-16GF

· Laptop

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:15 PM

Hi,

There were no memory dumps in your report. However, I noticed the following error in the Event Log:

Event[134]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
  Date: 2017-03-05T17:06:38.917
  Event ID: 19
  Task: N/A
  Level: Warning
  Opcode: Info
  Keyword: N/A
  User: S-1-5-19
  User Name: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
  Computer: Bryan-Laptop
  Description:
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
Error Type: Internal parity error
Processor APIC ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

This is probably related to your CPU. If overclocking, please stop immediately. Be sure to double-check the BIOS just in case your laptop came overclocked... if not run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and let us know the results.

Regards,

bwv848

Edited by bwv848, 06 March 2017 - 10:47 AM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 brgillis

brgillis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. I think something is wrong with it in creating dumps; it never got above 0% on the BSODs. I don't have overclocking enabled, and I checked the BIOS for anything related to it, but it doesn't look like it came overclocked (the only thing there that looked possibly related was "Intel Speedstep" - disabling this had no effect). The Diagnostic tool didn't show any problems.

I decided to try installing Windows from a boot disk, and so far it seems to be working. If problems come back, I'll update here.

#4 brgillis

brgillis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:51 AM

Okay, the problems haven't completely stopped. I've had two BSODs so far, both of which happened when the computer was sleeping (so at least it isn't happening while I'm using it... yet). It still doesn't look like there are any memory dumps, oddly, but I've attached the collection zip just in case I'm misreading it (or there's anything else new that shows up): Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   236.14KB   1 downloads

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

Event[201]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
  Date: 2017-03-06T18:30:20.217
  Event ID: 19
  Task: N/A
  Level: Warning
  Opcode: Info
  Keyword: N/A
  User: S-1-5-19
  User Name: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
  Computer: DESKTOP-1KRH70S
  Description:
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
Error Type: Internal parity error
Processor APIC ID: 4

The details view of this entry contains further information.
The error is still turning up. I'm not sure whether if we should take it seriously, as some say it can be ignored. Your UEFI/BIOS dates back from 2014. Do you know anything about updating it? If not, don't update it... if your computer shuts down halfway, it will probably not be able to boot at all!

I suggest you follow these instructions from usasma's website to stress test your CPU:

Prime95 download site:  http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
Prime95 Setup:
- extract the contents of the zip file to a location of your choice
- double click on the executable file
- select "Just stress testing"
- select the "Blend" test.  If you've already run MemTest overnight please run the "Small FFTs" test instead. (run all 3 if you find a problem and note how long it takes to error out with each)
- "Number of torture test threads to run" should equal the number of CPU's times 2 (if you're using hyperthreading).
The easiest way to figure this out is to go to Task Manager...Performance tab - and see the number of boxes under CPU Usage History
Then run the test for 6 to 24 hours - or until you get errors (whichever comes first).
Monitor the CPU temperature and DON'T let it exceed 85ºC.  If it does, then you probably have a CPU cooling problem.
- CPU temps exceeding 60ºC can cause errors in Prime95.  Fix the cooling solution first, then run Prime95 again.
This won't necessarily crash the system - but check the output in the test window for errors.
The Test selection box and the stress.txt file describes what components that the program stresses.
NOTE:  Errors should be considered when:
- the system BSOD's during Prime95
- the system freezes during Prime95 (this is different than the extreme slowness caused by the program using all your RAM and CPU)
- the Prime95 program crashes
- the Prime95 program shows errors in it's display
- there are errors in the Prime95 results file
More details on the use of this test:  http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 brgillis

brgillis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

Alright, I tried the stress test, and I didn't face any errors during it (running it overnight). However, the computer BSODed again while asleep afterward, still with no dump file.

I don't know anything about updating the BIOS, unfortunately. Do you recommend I ask a repair shop about it?

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:10 PM

Don't deal with the BIOS yet, do this please:

:step1: Upload MEMORY.DMP

• Press and hold the Windows Key + R on your keyboard at the same time.
• In the Run box, type in %WinDir% and hit Enter on your keyboard.
• Find the file MEMORY.DMP and copy/paste it on to your Desktop.
• Zip up MEMORY.DMP (use .ZIP please!!!) and upload it to a trustworthy file-sharing service.

#8 brgillis

brgillis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

That file doesn't exist for me. I even tried doing a file search on my computer, but nothing by that name exists.

#9 brgillis

brgillis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:15 PM

Okay, the computer actually dumped its memory successfully after the latest crash. Here's a link to download it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/faxvhwrk3cdcvga/memory_dmp.zip?dl=0 

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:54 PM

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for igdkmd64.sys
 igdkmd64+0x110fdc
Try updating your Intel graphics drivers. **DOWNLOAD LINK**

Also, I'm concerned about your hard drive. Please run Seagate SeaTools — be sure to run the Long Test.

#11 brgillis

brgillis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:32 PM

Updating the graphics drivers didn't help, but you were right to be concerned about my hard drive. When I ran the long test on my C drive (the one with my OS installed on it), it crashed the computer. I ran the DOS version (from the thread here: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics.html) as well, and it said that the drive failed, but I couldn't figure out how to get any more information that that from it.

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:21 PM

If the System Drive (C:) has failed the SeaTools test, it should definitely be replaced. Faulty hard-drives are known to cause BSODs, because of the intricate way Windows Memory Management works.

Good luck! :)

#13 brgillis

brgillis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:31 PM

Thanks a lot for the help!

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:53 PM

No problem at all. :) Let me know how everything goes — I'd be more than happy to help again. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users