Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New latpop upgrade, network use

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:45 PM

Recently bought a new laptop for one of the kids...  It's a newer model, windows 10(of course) 
Looks like it will be a good computer once I finish getting it set up... that always takes time and I'm prepared for that but it's dragging on with this one.

It's trying to upgrade to the latest version of windows 10.  I figure it's best to let it do what it needs to do and, updates are usually a good idea...  and of course, these things run those updates pretty much without your effort anyway.  The problem is, it's hard to tell what's actually getting done AND, it's hogging the internet bandwidth for the house I guess.  I mean, we technically have unlimited internet here but this is the first time I've had something act like this.

It lists a few that are downloaded and not installed and I've restarted and shut down a few times and they're still not installing... but it's also not done with the BIG upgrade.  It's stuck showing 10% but that cannot be right with what it's doing to the internet.

Opening task manager it shows it's using 1.5mbps on the network..  and 1.5mbps is our internet speed. 

At times I have to just shut it down so I can do things on my own computer here.  Web pages loading SLOWLY... a game I play lagging quite insanely(a facebook game at that). 
I have plans to bring the laptop into town and find some faster internet to see if I can get things done more quickly but...
I feel like this shouldn't actually be holding up the internet THIS badly... and, I feel like I should be seeing some progress on the upgrade.  I mean, to see a 0% on the screen when the internet is being used so heavily just doesn't seem right.

Thoughts?  Try in town when I get a chance(not sure when) and wait it out? 
Trying not to be impatient with it but have a lot of other things to do to get it setup and waiting on this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

You can set Windows 10 to a Metered Connection to reduce bandwidth. Unfortunately this will only delay automatic updates, not disable them.

See the following link for reducing bandwidth on Windows 10. I do not recommend you enable Peer to Peer Updates as the guide suggests.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/manage-windows-10-data-usage/

#3 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:06 PM

The anniversary update does appear to hang at several places & can stay at a certain % for ages.
Iirc mine took several hours to complete & I have a fast BB connection 70Mbps.

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 615 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:08 PM

thanks... eating lunch but will try the metered connection in just a bit.  If that doesn't work I will just try some wifi in town in a day or two.
With the metered connection, how much does that limit things?  And should I leave it set that way permanently or just til this issue is resolved?  I'm thinking on my house's network it might be best to keep it metered considering it will probably come up with more of these updates at times.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

Even with the metered connection Windows will eventually update to the Anniversary edition. I can't say when though. You will be looking at another major upgrade this year called the Creators edition.

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 615 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:24 PM

Even with the metered connection Windows will eventually update to the Anniversary edition. I can't say when though. You will be looking at another major upgrade this year called the Creators edition.

is it going to continue to download it, only slower?  I'm not worried about it updating I just don't need it preventing me from doing things on my own computer.
I've never really had computers and updates do this to my network...  but the laptop is our first windows 10 machine.  I'll be buying or building a desktop one of these days so it's good to get used to these things and figure them out.

Wish we could get faster internet but we live outside of city limits, far enough where 1.5mbps is as fast as we'll get even if they sell us something higher.  We know a family just a mile or so away that can't even get dsl at all... and neither of us can get cable either.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,277 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

I can't say the same thing will happen with the Creators update. This is Windows 10 and the first to require updates be downloaded automatically. Also the first to have so many major upgrades during it's life. Windows 7 had SP1 and that was it. Now with the Creators update you will probably be talking about another large download but maybe that will not be the case. I don't know how Microsoft will approach this next upgrade. 

1.5Mbs is pretty slow. I can see why the download is bogging down your network. 

#8 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 615 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:58 PM

still messing with this believe it or not.  There's been a couple of nights I'd leave it on to try and download and install the upgrade and, nothing.  I think.  One morning it said 99% and just sat there forever.  Restarted the computer and next look, started it all over again.  I've taken the pc with me into town twice in the last week... I was meeting a friend at a coffee shop that had just moved locations last week and planned on using their internet.  They told me their wifi would be up the next day... so, I got there early for nothing.  Then went to the library later only to have that not work.  Can't login to their wifi without first being scanned to make sure you have a working AV on there... which required java... which you could download thankfully... only, it then needed to run a java event to do the scan... and MS Edge(the only browser on the laptop) wouldn't run plugins.  yay.  So this week I went to the coffee shop to find out they still didn't have wifi... and then to the library with firefox...  only to have firefox tell me it wouldn't run some plugins... and could find no way around that so, another trip to those two locations wasted.

I let it run on my network again last night... this morning it showed 56% or so and was going up so it seemed promising... but then, I went out and left it going.  Current, most important part of post: Got home and the update/upgrade screen was gone... just the desktop...  Decided I would go shower and relax before looking at it.  Came back to the screen before the login screen...  did it restart on me?  Not sure but I have it set not to sleep when plugged in so, it must have...  tried moving the mouse, clicked the screen etc... it froze.  Sat there over an hour so frozen the time on the screen stood still for that time...  But.....
Just a little while ago I got in.  Looked... nope, didn't upgrade.  Went and looked and it said that one, and others, failed.  I see no place to look at why and it has failed a couple times.
Should I create a topic in the windows 10 section for this?

I want to get everything up to date and set up properly.

Side note...  I just connected an ethernet cable and when I told it to try and upgrade again...  router isn't flashing like crazy.  Is a wired connection more controlled than a wireless?

Edit:    If the wired connection is more controlled, besides a simple switch to "metered", is there a way to control the wifi use when I switch it back to using wifi at some point?  I mean, I want to get the updates it needs...  just without stopping every other computer in the house from working right.  Why would one computer hog the internet over all the others when no other computer in the house acts like that?  Is it just a windows 10 thing?

Edited by millipede, 15 March 2017 - 08:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users