Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Again getting 0xc0000005 error. Seems to be related to antivirus.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MAZACOTE71

MAZACOTE71

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

A while back I posted about my AVG completely stopping for no apparent reason. I removed it entirely. The reinstalled it. And immediately  started getting a 0xc0000005 error message and no applications could be launched. Went back to an earlier restore point. The problem went away. Tried a few more times. Always getting the same result. Finally gave up on having AVG on this computer. I had been relying solely on the Windows firewall and Defender programs plus Malwarebytes.

I gave Avast a try for 30 days with no problems. Then finally decided to purchase last night. The only difference between now and the past month is that I purchased it and activated my license.As soon as I restart my computer this AM. It went back to that same stupid error message and applications became unusable. Went back to a previous restore point and it's back up and running again. I've looked and looked throughout the web for a solution but I'm unable to find anything that works. AVG offered to lookinto it for me but I would have to buy a maintenance plan which I don't want to to do.

Tried running the sfc /scannow command on cmd. This is what it told me:

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Does anyone know what else I can do. Other than giving up on 3rd party anti virus programs completely?

Running Windows 7 Professional on a Dell Precision M4800

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2017 - 03:12 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:34 PM

Microsoft has a hot fix for this error, you can find it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MAZACOTE71

MAZACOTE71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

Microsoft has a hot fix for this error, you can find it here.

Thank you. I downloaded that one last month. And apparently it didn't fix the problem.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:56 PM

Rather than making suggestion that you may have already tried why don't you post just what you have tried.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 MAZACOTE71

MAZACOTE71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

Sorry. That would help. That was pretty much it. Should mention something else. That when I tried launching Avast after today's restore point. I get a prompt saying avastIP.dll is missing.

#6 MAZACOTE71

MAZACOTE71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:29 PM

A while back I posted about my AVG completely stopping for no apparent reason. I removed it entirely. The reinstalled it. And immediately  started getting a 0xc0000005 error message and no applications could be launched. Went back to an earlier restore point. The problem went away. Tried a few more times. Always getting the same result. Finally gave up on having AVG on this computer. I had been relying solely on the Windows firewall and Defender programs plus Malwarebytes.

I gave Avast a try for 30 days with no problems. Then finally decided to purchase last night. The only difference between now and the past month is that I purchased it and activated my license.As soon as I restart my computer this AM. It went back to that same stupid error message and applications became unusable. Went back to a previous restore point and it's back up and running again. I've looked and looked throughout the web for a solution but I'm unable to find anything that works. AVG offered to lookinto it for me but I would have to buy a maintenance plan which I don't want to to do.

Tried running the sfc /scannow command on cmd. This is what it told me:

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Does anyone know what else I can do. Other than giving up on 3rd party anti virus programs completely?

Running Windows 7 Professional on a Dell Precision M4800

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

#7 Avast_Team

Avast_Team

Authorized Avast Rep

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:23 PM

Have you tried running a "repair" of Avast? Go to Control Panel - Update/Change and then run an online repair. This may just get things fixed up quickly :) Also, are you running the latest version?

If you have a paid version, you can put in a support ticket here also: https://support.avast.com/support/tickets/new

Let me know if that helps!

#8 Torchwood

Torchwood

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

It might be you still have remnants from your previous AV's getting in the way.

You should uninstall them in SAFE mode.

Roy

#9 MAZACOTE71

MAZACOTE71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:36 PM

Have you tried running a "repair" of Avast? Go to Control Panel - Update/Change and then run an online repair. This may just get things fixed up quickly :) Also, are you running the latest version?

If you have a paid version, you can put in a support ticket here also: https://support.avast.com/support/tickets/new

Let me know if that helps!

I'll give it a try. The same exact thing happened with AVG. Which is why I switched to Avast expecting it'd be different this time. Thanks. I'll let you know.

#10 MAZACOTE71

MAZACOTE71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:38 PM

It might be you still have remnants from your previous AV's getting in the way.

You should uninstall them in SAFE mode.

Roy

I'll give this a try too. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users