Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 munya

munya

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:05 AM

does anyone out there know the startup files that are used to load the windows Operating System. by this i mean the .dll files, exe files .....anything.

Edited by jgweed, 07 September 2006 - 09:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:34 AM

Most are in the 'windows\system32\config' folder, but there are others, like Ntldr.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:44 AM

For your system the best bet would be to use a bootlogger to enumerate all the files that are loaded with your system.

Be advised that there is a whole heap of them - it's a major chore to sort through all of them and trace the dll's that they call.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 TDurden1937

TDurden1937

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 03:25 PM

:thumbsup: RE the files that load on windows start up.
Get into startup menu on boot with F8 . . . not sure if its the same for all users (also through a dual-boot menu, or configured to appear via the System Configuration utility -per PC Magazines - Windows XP Solutions), and scroll up to option entitled "Enable Boot Logging" highlight it and return. It will leave a log in the Windows folder called "ntbtlog.txt" with a long list of . . . whatever e.g
Service Pack 2 8 30 2006 17:51:25.500
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\BOOTVID.dll
Loaded driver ACPI.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS
Loaded driver pci.sys
and many many more

Nothing but drivers.

There is a prefetch folder at C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch containing some familiar program names followed gy a bunch of number extension .pf with is "Prefetch (also called Scenario) File (Microsoft)"
This may be one of the folders which contain files determined frequently used on start up and "prfetched to decrease boot time.
As far as if any other programs appear , run, disappear into the nethesphere of space I am totally ignorant.
There is one more place to look which is the the Computer Mnagemnet window under "Services." Lists system services and gives the status of the program as started or . . . " " blank.

I'm stepping deeper than my thin layer of knowledge about this, so I'll put a sock in it.
Hope this helps a little

Regards. Durden

Edited by TDurden1937, 06 September 2006 - 04:03 PM.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:07 PM

What is it that you are trying to do? Maybe we can help you accomplish it.

The files that are loaded are in a specific order and are different depending on where in the boot sequence Windows is at.

The following may answer your question:
WINDOWS XP BOOT SEQUENCE
http://www.compphix.com/xpbootprocess.html

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:21 AM

Nice link Enthusiast! Thanks!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users