Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Basic Photoshop Rig, Opinions needed

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

Your motherboard should be supplied with a couple of SATA cables (one needed for the DVD drive) and all others come with the case and PSU, so no, I don't think extra cables needed.  The cooler is supplied with pre-applied TIM which gives one chance at fitting it right.  It might be worth getting a small tube of MX4 or something, just in case.

BTW the PM961 looks like it gives massive performance, no wonder it sold out at £82 - http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-PM961-NVMe-PCIe-M2-256GB-vs-Samsung-850-Pro-256GB/m174249vs2385

Edited by jonuk76, 07 March 2017 - 03:34 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

Your motherboard should be supplied with a couple of SATA cables (one needed for the DVD drive) and all others come with the case and PSU, so no, I don't think extra cables needed.  The cooler is supplied with pre-applied TIM which gives one chance at fitting it right.  It might be worth getting a small tube of MX4 or something, just in case.

BTW the PM961 looks like it gives massive performance, no wonder it sold out at £82 - http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-PM961-NVMe-PCIe-M2-256GB-vs-Samsung-850-Pro-256GB/m174249vs2385

So it's all good to go? Apart from the fact I have to wait a couple of days for all things to be in stock, I'm ready to build it pretty much. Yeah, I've seen the benchmarks, if it does come back in stock whilst I'm waiting for the other things to come back in stock, I'll save myself £20 and go for it.

Edited by Planemaster2, 07 March 2017 - 03:37 PM.

#33 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

I think it looks fine yes.  Just remembered, double check the monitor connections. The motherboard has DVI and HDMI out, so check if you need a conversion cable or adapter, depending on the monitors connections.

Double check the resolutions too, I've just realised something...

Edited by jonuk76, 07 March 2017 - 04:11 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#34 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,440 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

FWIW, this seems to be an awful lot of trouble just for a photo-editing rig..!

I've been using Photoshop & the GIMP alongside each other for years. Nowt special about either of 'em; they're just bog-standard, raster graphics editors with a good selection of nice features. They both offer certain things that the other one lacks.

Just for a comparison, here's what I run mine on (and bear in mind that I'm running Photoshop CS2; quite elderly, I know, but still plenty powerful enough for your average home-user. It's served me well for years, so much so that I can find my way around it with my eyes shut by now!) This entire rig is basically 12 yrs old, though it's had a lot of upgrading over the years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: MSI MS-7093

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ dual-core

RAM: 4 GB dual-channel DDR1

HDD: WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue' 7200 rpm

Secondary internal drive: Transcend 128 GB PATA/IDE SSD (this thing was built around the time of the SATA introduction, so has IDE and SATA ports)

Graphics: The on-board ATI Radeon XPress 200G graphics, part of the ATI RX480 chipset

Monitor: An old generic Dell 15.1 " pNp 1024x768 LCD, a hand-me-down from my younger bro when he bought his iMac around 3 years ago

PSU: CoolerMaster B50 500W single-rail, 80+ rated & 85 EU Eco-Plus

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I know this thing's like a dinosaur compared to the modern stuff that's available now. It originally ran Win XP for years; at EOL, 3 yrs ago, I waved bye-bye to MicroSoft and dived head-first into the uncharted backwaters of the Linux eco-system. I now run a kennel-full of 'Puppies' ('Puppy' Linux). No word of a lie, Photoshop runs faster under the real-time WINE 'emulator' than it ever did under XP.

Even after all these years, there isn't a single leaking, bulging or 'wonky' capacitor on the board; they're all Rubycons & Nichicons, as specified by the original builders of this old tower, Compaq. (This was built a year or two prior to the HP take-over, when the Compaq name still garnered a lot of respect in the business sector.)

I've simply carefully & sympathetically upgraded stuff as & when I felt it would benefit the system.....and me! Moral of this being that, nice as it is to buy all this fancy, expensive new gear, it really ain't necessary!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 07 March 2017 - 04:54 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#35 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

Super Flower is the other excellent one and I agree Intel ssd's do not rate well. Crucials don't either but I have had many of them and they are all still running. Samsung are generally considered the best. Remember the reason I chose the Seasonic 620 is because it was so much better priced than the others and you may decide to add a video card which that can easikly accomodate but I do agree 450 is fine for what you have as long as the quality is good. Having too much power never hurts a system believe me!

#36 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

FWIW, this seems to be an awful lot of trouble just for a photo-editing rig..!

I've been using Photoshop & the GIMP alongside each other for years. Nowt special about either of 'em; they're just bog-standard, raster graphics editors with a good selection of nice features. They both offer certain things that the other one lacks.

Just for a comparison, here's what I run mine on (and bear in mind that I'm running Photoshop CS2; quite elderly, I know, but still plenty powerful enough for your average home-user. It's served me well for years, so much so that I can find my way around it with my eyes shut by now!) This entire rig is basically 12 yrs old, though it's had a lot of upgrading over the years.

Motherboard: MSI MS-7093

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ dual-core

RAM: 4 GB dual-channel DDR1

HDD: WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue' 7200 rpm

Secondary internal drive: Transcend 128 GB PATA/IDE SSD (this thing was built around the time of the SATA introduction, so has IDE and SATA ports)

Graphics: The on-board ATI Radeon XPress 200G graphics, part of the ATI RX480 chipset

Monitor: An old generic Dell 15.1 " pNp 1024x768 LCD, a hand-me-down from my younger bro when he bought his iMac around 3 years ago

PSU: CoolerMaster B50 500W single-rail, 80+ rated & 85 EU Eco-Plus

Yes, I know this thing's like a dinosaur compared to the modern stuff that's available now. It originally ran Win XP for years; at EOL, 3 yrs ago, I waved bye-bye to MicroSoft and dived head-first into the uncharted backwaters of the Linux eco-system. I now run a kennel-full of 'Puppies' ('Puppy' Linux). No word of a lie, Photoshop runs faster under the real-time WINE 'emulator' than it ever did under XP.

Even after all these years, there isn't a single leaking, bulging or 'wonky' capacitor on the board; they're all Rubycons & Nichicons, as specified by the original builders of this old tower, Compaq. (This was built a year or two prior to the HP take-over, when the Compaq name still garnered a lot of respect in the business sector.)

I've simply carefully & sympathetically upgraded stuff as & when I felt it would benefit the system.....and me! Moral of this being that, nice as it is to buy all this fancy, expensive new gear, it really ain't necessary!

I get what you are saying because Linux can stretch any hardware bigtime but remember this unit is Windows and in Windows to run Photoshop you need cpu power but mostly ram and if you had 4 Gb ram on Windows 10 it could take 15 minutes to open the program so lets not mislead the user here!

#37 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,440 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

Hi, mylanta.

Oh, I couldn't agree more. That was why I stressed that this was with Linux; I've no wish to be giving the OP wrong ideas! 

I merely wanted to give a illustration from the 'other side of the fence', that was all. If my budget permitted it, I'd like nothing better than to start from the ground up, and build myself a killer rig for what I do.....but sadly, that isn't going to happen any time soon!  :lol:

...but remember this unit is Windows and in Windows to run Photoshop you need cpu power but mostly ram and if you had 4 Gb ram on Windows 10 it could take 15 minutes to open the program...

Yep; especially current Photoshop, and particularly so where you're working with modern, high megapixel RAW images..... Personally, I wouldn't even go there!  :P  :o

Sod's law, ain't it?  :(

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 07 March 2017 - 07:20 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#38 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

Hey looks like our dogs would have a great time together....yes Mike my point was I just wanted to be sure some users didn't get the wrong idea, no problem.

#39 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:12 PM

This would do nicely.....I think SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 

is best buy but since you haven't used a video card 520 is fine maybe even 450 though if you plan to add a video card later the 620

would be nice to have in.

It's quite a large amount of power for a single CPU rig.

What is it tyou feel  is potentially the large power draw? The B250? The i3? If using integrated video, I suspect he'd be at 75-80 watts under load....; if using a GTX1050, perhaps 20-30 more watts...

There are *many* rigs out there running fine on EVGA or Corsair PSUs of 500/ 550 watts or so....; we just don't normally choose them because of our desire to potentially run a 1080Ti some day

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#40 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:24 PM

Well that depends MDD1963, where I hang my hat mostly, we always anticipate growth of system and we also anticipate degrading too on the part of a Psu as well so I would much prefer to overshoot. No one's system I know was ever harmed by having too much power.

Edited by mylanta406, 08 March 2017 - 08:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users