Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When gaming (For Honor), my PC suddenly restarts

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 ri1807

ri1807

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:50 AM

Hello all,

My PC suddenly restarts when I'm playing For Honor. I did not have the problem before as far as I can remember.

The PC shows no BSOD, and the Windows 10 event viewer shows a Kernel power 41 error. "The system has been rebooted without being shut down correctly. This error may be caused because the system is not responding or is jammed or because of power outage." 

I don't want to make a rash decision and buy a new power supply. Is there a way someone could help me to specify the problem?

I realise I have to show some kind of logs and PC stats. Tell me what you need of me and I will provide it.

Thank you in advance,

ri1807

EDITED:

Attached SysnativeFileCollecitonApp.zip. The permon /report is stuck more then 10 minutes ( tried it a couple of times afterwards), but won't generate a file. Performed a system verification as was suggested by Microsoft, but no integrity violations were found.: ( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_perf/is-anyone-else-having-problems-with-perfmon-report/82c9eafe-0b84-4b4a-b18d-7c7fe35f2db6) 

Will now run driver verifier. 

Desktop
· OS - Windows 10
· x64 ?
· What was original installed OS on system? - Windows 7
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? - I let a company/website put together my PC, with legitimate Windows version.
· Age of system (hardware) - purchased october 2014
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? - Upgrade to Windows 10 in summer 2015

· CPU: Intel®_Core™_i7-4790_CPU_@_3.60GH
· Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop): Gigabyte G1.Sniper B5
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop): CoolerMaster G750M, 750W ATX 

· System Manufacturer: Self made by Dutch webstore.

Attached Files

Edited by ri1807, 05 March 2017 - 08:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:25 AM

BC BSODs Posting Instructions - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Louis

#3 ri1807

ri1807
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:18 AM

Thank you Louis,

my bad for not spotting it earlier.

#4 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

750watt should be more than sufficient to be able to run with a 980 on this new game. However explaining your issue, I'm almost positive this is an overheating problem. Your computer shuts down because something inside your computer is not cooling the appropriate device well enough, therefore shutting down before it starts getting damaged. Your problem is probably not so much your power supply, but the way you cool your motherboard or GPU..
Do you use fans or water cooling? When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer? Dust build-up is a huge reason for overheating in many regards.
Check to make sure all of your fans are running when you boot the computer, or load specific games.

Do you happen to know what fan speed your fans run at? If they recently changed speeds they may not be putting out enough air.

Speak to you soon!

Edited by Illustrious, 05 March 2017 - 08:42 AM.

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#5 ri1807

ri1807
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:59 AM

I tried to run OpenHardwareMonitor to show you some data when playing, unfortunately it keeps rebooting when Im trying to screenshot some data. I have checked this with a friend before and my GPU is at max about 80 degrees. But when the reboot happend it was just around 43 degrees.

The GPU fans turn at 1165 RPM

4 motherboard fans turn in current usage, without extra programs, at respectively: 930, 530, 769, 745 RPM

CPU is about 50 degrees.

Load in all 4 cores is sometimes high above 70/80% 

So as far as my knowledge goes, overheating is not the problem. Sometimes I just boot the PC after it has been off the entire night, open the program and then it reboots. But other times it can run a few hours and playing the game without a problem.

Attached Files

Edited by ri1807, 05 March 2017 - 09:02 AM.

#6 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:28 AM

Is there anything you do specifically in the game that triggers it to reboot? I see with your last response, I would agree with you, it is not an overheating problem. However we still need to narrow it down to 1 of 2 options, if this is an internal or external issue. Are there any other problems you experience, completely aside from it being game related? Also, does this happen in other games?

I assume you use Steam to play your game, if you use a disk, disregard this line.
Try going to your Steam Client > Library > Right-click Properties on the game giving you issues > Local Files tab > Verify Game Cache. See if this fixes any issues, have you also trying uninstalling/reinstalling the game?

Edited by Illustrious, 05 March 2017 - 09:30 AM.

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#7 ri1807

ri1807
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:08 AM

No it happens when going through the menu but also happens when I'm ingame. So I can't find a pattern there.

I tried Battlefield 4 to see if it happens then, but it didn't. I will try GTA5, which is also a high performance game, to see if something there will trigger it. 

I launched it with Uplay. Also has the option to verify the cache and nothing was off.

EDIT:

Played some GTA5 with no problem. As soon as I started up the game, after connecting to servers it rebooted again. Still not sure if it's the game who's directly causing it to crash or indirectly by triggering some sort of event/costing too much power/usage.

Edited by ri1807, 05 March 2017 - 12:06 PM.

#8 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:18 PM

Try this, it will be very convenient if you are using more than one monitor. Open your task manager and open the Performance tab (if you have another monitor, leave it open on your other monitor to be able to clearly see what is happening as it is happening). You should see CPU Usage and Physical Memory. Open your game and tell me what your constant of both is please. When you initially launch the game your CPU Usage will spike, I am asking for the number(s) it stays at/around the most. If your CPU Usage or Physical Memory is at 100%, I will know your problem! :)

Edited by Illustrious, 05 March 2017 - 03:19 PM.

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#9 ri1807

ri1807
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

The image shows on starting the game a spike. But when it crashes both the CPU(40%) and the memory(30%) were low.

When it happens I hear a buzzing sound from the PC. I'll provide a audio file and try to locate where it is comming from.

Attached Files

#10 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

I see from the screenshot you provided it gets very close to 100% on the Usage. Was this during gameplay or at the time of the crash? Or was this the initial boot of the game?

Buzzing sounds from the PC don't necessarily mean something bad, does that only happen when you load this game?

I believe the buzzing you may be referring to is your fans working in "overdrive", as I like to call it. Where your fans are required to change speeds and they end up making noise, this happens when my computer boots incorrectly or recovers from an unexpected shutdown. This can be entirely normal, but if it only happens with this game, then the game may be working your computer too hard, and is shutting down to prevent problems.

Do you get any error messages when the game crashes? Have you tried toggling anti-aliasing to the opposite option? I'm not entirely sure that will fix it, but it won't hurt to try.

We'll get this figured out for you buddy, I'm sure you really want to play this new game. :)

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#11 ri1807

ri1807
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:45 PM

OK! I won't be recording some sound then.

The spike was with the initial boot of the game. When I then try to get into a menu it usually crashes. Sometimes it doesn't, like last 20 minutes, then I could just play the game. It just plays and suddenly reboots the pc again. I have not tried toggling it off, but that would still mean that something is wrong if the PC can't handle some anti-aliasing.

EDIT: Added an image when booting the game, pc is not rebooting (yet), shows the disk at full capacity?

Attached Files

Edited by ri1807, 05 March 2017 - 05:55 PM.

#12 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:49 PM

This may come across as a very broad question and you may have checked, but on the hard drive your game is located on, is it full? If your hard drive is full and your game is trying to write more data on it, and there is no room for it... it won't work. Think about trying to put 3 cups of water in a measuring cup that only goes up to 2 cups, the rest just spills out, and you can only get up to 2 cups. I'll keep thinking! Let me know any questions or concerns you have. :)

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#13 ri1807

ri1807
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

I have installed For Honor on my SSHD of 2tb with over 1,5tb room left. My SSD (250gb) had 30gb left, I've deleted some old stuff from downloads and uninstalled a game from there which leaves me now with 121gb of free space. I'll try to boot up the game a couple of times and see if it had any impact.

EDIT:

No luck, just rebooted in the middle of a game again.

Edited by ri1807, 05 March 2017 - 06:11 PM.

#14 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

Do you know if your Steam Library directory is on one hard drive, and the game is on the other? Try seeing if you have a folder named "Steam" in your hard drive(s), and if your game is in the list of "steamapps". If it is located in it's own separate hard drive, SSD, or SSHD, uninstall the game, when you install it again, make sure to click the "..." and set it to the appropriate hard drive. Good luck! :)

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#15 ri1807

ri1807
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

The game is through Ubisoft Launcher and I do not use steam for it. Ubisoft launcher and the game is on the SSHD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users