Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer is still there after uninstalling?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 coreynj

coreynj

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:28 AM

So today I found out that I still had Internet Explorer installed on Windows 10. I figured it was probably taking up a lot of unnecessary space since I never used it, so I tried to uninstall it. But it wasn't in the uninstall menu. So I went through Windows Features, found Internet Explorer 11, and unchecked it. I then went to the Internet Explorer folder under Program Files x86, and tried to delete it, and after changing the ownership from TrustedInstaller to myself, I deleted it.

However, even after removing it from features and deleting the folder, it can still be found when I search for it in the start menu. When I click on it, nothing happens, and when I right click it, I only have the option to "Pin to Start". How do I get rid of it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:20 AM

Internet Explorer is a mandatory component of Windows and it must be there, but you are not required to use it, but Windows itself uses. 
Folder, which you mentioned, is only a few files, a total of 1.89 MB. Is it really very much? It is less than some .bmp picture, used by Windows.
Besides, delete something, does not mean that something is removed (uninstalled).
IE must be there exactly as long, as Microsoft replaces it with something else.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

Because IE is an integral part of Windows 10, you can't uninstall it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:44 AM

IE has been an integral part of Windows since Windows 7 and must remain.   In the same vein, Cortana is an integral part of Windows 10 and must remain whether you elect to use the Personal Digital Assistant feature of Cortana (which is what most people think of "as Cortana") or not.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:52 AM

Actually it has always been an integral component in Windows way back to at least later releases of Windows 95 and as said you don't have to use it but many installed programs use it besides to function.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users