Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot format external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#1 dali52

dali52

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:35 AM

Hi,

I have a Seagate drive that I used in the past with Windows 7 to back up the computer.  I now have Windows 10, so I wanted to format the drive and use it with this OS.

First it would not be recognized (nowhere to be found in the my computer).  Then I changed the name of the drive and it showed up, however it would not be reformatted.

When I looked at the disk management it said it was healthy.  I tried to follow people's suggestions online, but nothing worked.  I even tried the command window and it said that virtual disk service error; delete is not allowed on the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume,

I tried to download the minitool partition iso file to make a bootable usb drive, but I just cannot find that iso file, only the exe is downloadable and it does not work with Rufus (the portable program that would help make the bootable usb. and I am attaching a file of what it looks like.  when I look for minitool iso file there is none.)

I am at a loss... so I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks

Dalila

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

You could try GPartEd or any number of free partition management software suites out there (Partition Wizard, Partition Master, Partition Assistant, etc.)

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:23 PM

If using Gparted make sure you are selecting the correct disk (device). The nomenclature for disks in Gparted is different than in Windows. Your disks will be labeled sda, sdb.. etc. When Gparted first launches you will be presented with your main OS disk. Select your device in the dropdown box at the upper right of the Gparted Window.

All steps in Gparted are virtual which means Apply need to be clicked before the operations complete as does the other partitions managers britechguy posted.

Attached Files

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 March 2017 - 12:23 PM.

#4 dali52

dali52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

Hello,

Thanks, but would these utilities allow me to format the  drive? I read manage partitions... I just want to format it.  Thanks

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:20 PM

Yes, they all will let you format the drive.

You can download Partition Wizard hereWipe the disk zero fill quickCreate a new primary partition formatted NTFS.

#6 dali52

dali52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

Hi,

It was able to format, however this 1.5TB drive shows to be only 13GB. Why?  Further, when I tried to reformat again with windows, it refused to do it. thanks

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

What did you use to format the drive, Partition Wizard? Did you wipe the drive?

#8 dali52

dali52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

Yes, i reformatted it and then I deleted it... maybe not the best choice, but the capacity did not change... so..

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

Yes, i reformatted it and then I deleted it... maybe not the best choice, but the capacity did not change... so..

I am not sure what you mean by formatting and then deleting. I assume you mean you wiped the drive first. You need to click apply before the wipe will begin. Then you created a primary partition and clicked apply again to finish.

Can you provide a screenshot of Partition Wizard with the external attached using the snipping tool? You can attach the jpg by selecting More Reply Options.

#10 dali52

dali52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

Hi,

I guess I deleted a partition on that drive... I am enclosing a picture of the mini tool.  But now the drive is not being recognized by windows.

Sorry about all this, doing things without really knowing all the consequences, but I got frustrated. 

Thanks.. 

Attached Files

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

I am assuming your 1.36TB drive is your external drive. Click on the basic GPT disk hard drive icon to highlight the whole disk. Delete all Partitions per this video. Click Apply. The disk should now show as all Unallocated space. In the Unallocated space create a primary partition and format it NTFS per this video. Click Apply.

#12 dali52

dali52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

Hi, 

I did what you said, and the program asked to restart.

Upon restarting this page came up saying lots of things about patents etc. and says to reboot and select the proper boot device or insert boot media. I have never seen this screen.  What happened? I selected the correct drive to delete the partitions... I am a bit concerned here... this is another computer I am using to write to you.  

I ran the scan ck on the pc and it found no problems...

Please help. 

thanks

dalila

#13 dali52

dali52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

I just checked the boot priority and it says Hard drive.  Was the hard drive wiped out by any chance? :cherry:

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

Just what hard-drives do you have connected to this computer?  Regardless of internal and/or external hard-drives, I always give each hard-drive and each existing partition [that I create] unique names, so that regardless of what is booted [usb, dvd, etc], regardless of what drive leiter shufflement happens -- I know exactly which hard-drive or which partition I am trying to work with.

Addendum:  I think I earlier misunderstood!  Was both the internal HD and the external HD still connected during a post/boot/load attempt; did the ext HD contain residuals of an earlier OS?

Edited by RolandJS, 05 March 2017 - 06:51 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#15 dali52

dali52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

Hi,

nothing is now connected to the computer. I shut it down, took the battery out and drained the power left in it.  Nothing works.  When I look at the bios there are several boot priorities and one of them is the esata, which I assume is the external drive.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users