Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Outlook 365 Pst file that was overwritten by old version

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mark757

Mark757

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:19 AM

Hi all,

Using Windows 10, and it turns out I overwrote my current Office 365 PST file with one that was two years old (I have no automated backups, just do them manually).  I copied and pasted the old one over the current one by mistake instead of the other way round.  I tried going into the properties of the pst file and restoring an old version but no old version was there, and also tried the same with the parent folder but no luck.  I then tried hitting CTRL-Z to see if it might reverse the overwrite and all it did was empty the folder of the PST file and not put the old one back.

Am I totally screwed, or is there a way to somehow recover the most current pst file???

Any help very much appreciated,

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

You can see if the old version is in the recycle bin or if an app such as Recuva can find it. It looks like you already tried this: https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/previousversionsrecovery.htm

If none of that works, I'm afraid you're probably out of luck.

Edited by Allan, 05 March 2017 - 09:31 AM.

#3 Mark757

Mark757
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

Cheers for that Allan, I'm trying Recuva and some other recovery software now. If that doesn't work there may even be some data recovery experts in my city.

If anyone else has any advice I'd also love to hear it.

#4 shripriya90

shripriya90

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:05 AM

You can try the PST repair tool. This tool is capable of restoring the data from the PST file. It is also safe to use, there will be no data loss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users