Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo Laptop keeps randomly restarting. Not sure which direction to go.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Reitex

Reitex

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:31 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm working on a Lenovo Laptop that was bought from eBay. It's quite new, and was working fine up until about two to three weeks ago. It's running Windows 10.

Long story short, the only place the laptop /doesn't/ crash, is the BIOS setup. I've tried booting Safe Mode, replacing RAM (A new stick of RAM improved it for a short time and the crashes didn't happen as frequently, but it didn't last), windows memory diagnostics (it went 80% through with no errors, then randomly restarted, no info shown on login), Ubuntu USB boots (restarts before I can even try ubuntu), and even removing the Hard drive and booting from the USB. The furthest it goes is to the desktop, and only when I start running programs, does it fail.

I'm stuck on whether this is a hardware or software issue. I checked the Windows Error Reporting on System Information, and it seems to say that there's an application, AutoKMS.exe, that fails, and then there's a fault bucket after that. However, whenever I go to Task Manager and end the process, it doesn't crash. I noticed that there are sometimes two of them, sometimes one, and sometimes none. There's also another KMS program called R@1n-KMS or the like. (I am aware that these are used for cracked Windows. I'll deal with that after; I'll either buy a genuine windows copy or install Linux on it. Right now, I just want to fix this problem.)

Although the Windows Error Reporting lists that program and it's showing up, I'm skeptical as to whether it's actually a software issue. After all, if it's a software issue, then how come it persists even after I remove the hard drive? It doesn't happen in the BIOS setup, which means it's not a BIOS firmware issue. The only other conclusion I can think of is that it's a UEFI issue, if that's even enabled. (In the BIOS setup, it says legacy is enabled, so not sure if that means no UEFI.)

So the main things I want to know are:

1) Is this a hardware or software issue? How can I find out?

2) If it is software, what would resolve it? I'm a bit hesitant to flash the BIOS or get rid of the UEFI firmware because this keeps restarting and I don't want to end up bricked. That said, if we could figure out a safe way, I'm all ears.

3) If I have to use Windows Driver Verifier, what's the best method available to make sure I'm still able to access safe mode and command prompt so that I can end it?

4) If it's hardware, what might potentially be the problem? Userbenchmark says that the CPU is fine but below expectations (Was able to get some tests run on the newer RAMs, but not anymore.)

Note: There are no BSOD's, and even though I changed settings so that the computer would stop automatically restarting on failure, it still does.

Edited by Reitex, 04 March 2017 - 11:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Reitex

Reitex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:31 AM

Alright, so I ran the Driver Verifier. I attempted to read it myself, but didn't get very far. On my end it says that it's probably caused by ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!IopProcessWorkItem+f0 )

Also, I found out that the BIOS was originally set to boot from UEFI, but for some reason that OS/HDD doesn't have it, so it's booting from Legacy BIOS. So, the issue is either with the BIOS or something else. I'm not even sure at this point.

I realized I hadn't entirely followed the BSOD posting instructions, I apologize for that. When I'm back with the computer once more, I'll try it out and post them. For now, if what I posted works, that'd be great.

Attached Files

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

There's also another KMS program called R@1n-KMS or the like. (I am aware that these are used for cracked Windows. I'll deal with that after; I'll either buy a genuine windows copy or install Linux on it. Right now, I just want to fix this problem.

Greetings,

Pirated copies of Windows have been known to cause unusual issues. Furthermore, BleepingComputer's forum rules prohibit me from helping you further:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

If you would like help, please purchase a genuine copy of Windows and run the Sysnative reporting tool again. We'd be more than happy to help.

Thank you.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 Reitex

Reitex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:08 PM

Hey there, thank you for your response.

I already have a legitimate copy of Windows, but I can't install it. The computer crashes from the USB as well. I am trying to get rid of the pirated version and stick the legitimate version on, but the problem happens regardless. I would get rid of it if I could.

I just want to know if the problem is hardware or software, and what exactly. Given that everything but the BIOS setup crashes, I'm thinking either high CPU usage kills it, or the BIOS settings/firmware.

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

Alright, I understand your predicament. Test your RAM following this guide. Then, try running Seagate SeaTools for DOS. If the computer restarts by itself during the tests, have you thought of claiming the warranty? :)

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 Reitex

Reitex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:44 PM

Already switched out the RAM, tested using Windows Memory diagnostic and it restarted during that with no results.

Problem is resolved, though. Contacted Lenovo for warranty, they said the item doesn't have one. The guy I'm fixing it for bought it from eBay, but met the seller in person and gave him cash. (I told him that he's better off just buying a cheap laptop from a store.) Anyway I ascertained it's most likely the CPU, since it dies during high usage (booting, running programs, etc.) but not during BIOS. There's a very slight chance that it's the board, but I don't think it's likely that a board failure would function normally until high usage.

I looked up the parts, and AMD A6 6310 for laptops is pretty much nowhere to be found. I did find some places on Newegg that sell the board and the CPU together for $300. I informed him how much it'd be to replace the parts, probably $150-300. Told him it's best to cut his losses, because he got it for $250, and try to sell it as is for parts, while looking for another laptop. Told him I'd help him find something, he also asked me to help him sell it and if I did, he'd give me half the money. Will think on that.

Anyway, thank you for your help. It's a shame I couldn't get this working, I probably spent 4 hours or so on it (probably more, actually.) and I'm not getting paid. But, I did learn quite a few useful things, such as the basic reading of dump files, and some more troubleshooting stuff. Plus, I tried everything I could to help this guy out, and although things didn't work out he seems pleased with the amount of effort I put into this for him.

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:47 PM

Glad to hear you got the issue resolved!!! :)

#8 Reitex

Reitex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:48 PM

Haha yep. Shame it's not working, but I tried/10

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users