Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Issue with Kubuntu?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 bamashooter

bamashooter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:28 PM

Kubuntu 14.04

Several apps in my Favorites folder. Perhaps I'm mistaken but think not. I thought when I had the favorites open and there before me is my list of favorites, I could right click on one, get a drop down menu in which one of the options was "remove from Favorites" or words to that effect. Now when I right click on the app, it launches the app as though I left clicked. Help please.

Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
HP15 --f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10 / 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

Do you believe this is a computer issue or a mouse issue? Have you tested other mice to see if the problem persists? If the problem persists with a different mouse, you will know it is a problem on the computer's side.
Did you happen to save a certain preference by accident that when you perform a right-click it opens the application instead? Entirely possible, however unlikely.

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#3 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:13 PM

Do you believe this is a computer issue or a mouse issue? Have you tested other mice to see if the problem persists? If the problem persists with a different mouse, you will know it is a problem on the computer's side.
Did you happen to save a certain preference by accident that when you perform a right-click it opens the application instead? Entirely possible, however unlikely.

Same deal with other mouse (both wireless). To the best of my knowledge I haven't done anything mouse-related. I went into mouse settings and about the only thing remotely related is setting the mouse to left hand or right hand. And even that is inconsistent. With a browser and my assorted files, the mouse buttons act correctly. Within K everything is good to go with the exception of the apps stored with Favorites. For example, I can right click anything within Settings, System, Multi-Media, Utilities, etc and I'll get the expected drop down menu. Right click on an app within Favorites and it does the same as left click. It's as though Favorites has lost its little mind.

HP15 --f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10 / 64-bit

#4 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:19 PM

It might have to do with another issue I have within Favorites but I can't mention it here because,though it hasn't been answered, I asked about it in another forum. Wonder how much time must elapse before a question posed and unresolved elsewhere can be posted here?

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:21 PM

how long ago did you post there ?

....and just so I understand....are these favorites in your browser...firefox...??....or is this something that is peculiar to Kubuntu ?

Edited by Condobloke, 04 March 2017 - 10:23 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#6 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

Did this happen recently? And if you are able to right-click the physical Favorites folder, go to properties, and go to the Previous Versions tab. See if any previous versions are listed there, and if so, create a backup of your current folder and try using that version instead, and see if the problem persists.

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#7 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:26 PM

how long ago did you post there ?

....and just so I understand....are these favorites in your browser...firefox...??....or is this something that is peculiar to Kubuntu ?

Pushing 3.5 hrs. It's the favorites within KDE application launcher.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,816 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:34 PM

probably a bit too soon.

I am unfamiliar with kubuntu.......however.....

If you click on menu and then administration.....go to whatever app you need to remove.....right click it and select remove from favorites ??.....maybe..?

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#9 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:37 PM

Did this happen recently? And if you are able to right-click the physical Favorites folder, go to properties, and go to the Previous Versions tab. See if any previous versions are listed there, and if so, create a backup of your current folder and try using that version instead, and see if the problem persists.

The only options I have when I right click on it is add to desktop and add to panel. Right clicking on Favorites is hit and miss. The small drop down consisting of add to desktop or add to panel "opens" about every 4-5 attempts. Something has possessed Favorites.

#10 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:39 PM

Perhaps this response is too generalized but I feel I may not completely understand your issue here. Wouldn't you be able to create a new folder and drag everything over? Forgive me if I am misunderstanding. :)

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#11 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:46 PM

probably a bit too soon.

If you click on menu and then administration.....go to whatever app you need to remove.....right click it and select remove from favorites ??.....maybe..?

Kind of your method. I was able to "Switch to Application Launcher Style" which gave the appearance of an open folder with multiple sub folders. One of those being Favorites. Opened it up and resolved that one problem I can't mention. I still have the right button issue. I have rebooted to no avail.

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,816 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:52 PM

do you have a button called "Kickoff"...?

#13 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:54 PM

probably a bit too soon.

Kind of your method. I was able to "Switch to Application Launcher Style" which gave the appearance of an open folder with multiple sub folders. One of those being Favorites. Opened it up and resolved that one problem I can't mention. Good news in a way. The way I resolved the unmentionable problem was by right clicking on each "related" app and removing them from Favorites. This could only be done in an alternative style of the Application Launcher. When I revert back to the "classic" look, the right button issue prevails. Confused yet?

#14 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:55 PM

do you have a button called "Kickoff"...?

Yes. That's where Favorites and all other apps are located.

Edited by bamashooter, 04 March 2017 - 10:59 PM.

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,816 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:02 PM

Ignore that....just taking a punt

If you right click the 'menu' button...(bottom left hand corner )...

what do you see ?...are there any possibilities there ?.....like an option to configure ?

btw...good that we solved the other forums question..!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users